News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vic's 70 RT - Getting it back on the road thread...

Started by vick79, July 22, 2012, 12:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vick79

Hey everyone, As some of you may remember, I purchased this 70 RT a short time ago, and ive already started with a few minor projects on it. Thought I would start a thread to keep my posts organized in one place. My initial goal has been to fix all the main items to get the car on the road and safe to use, the actual complete disassembly and restoration will come later on this year. Id like to enjoy the charger for a while, put a few miles on it before its all apart. I have big plans for it when its time for restoration, but for now im just covering the basics.

I spend a couple weeks reading through these popular books. Love the wiring diagrams in the factory manual, are there any other books that are a "must have" ?

So far the list of things that didnt work that Ive been working on lately,

1) Had serious trouble starting when hot and sometimes for no reason - Found dying battery, bad coil, and over-advanced ignition timing - replaced coil, battery and adjusted timing. It fires up pretty quick even when hot, but ill have to work on setting the timing later.

2) Speedo doesnt work - found out the dial works, but speedo cable is toast - ordered a new mopar cable.

3) Dash clock doesnt work - Took the clock apart, mechanism was siezed up, internal relay was in good shape, blasted with brake cleaner a couple times and few dabs of oil in a couple places... came back to life almost immediately! :icon_smile_cool:

Video : http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/vickumar/?action=view&current=VID_20120720_155546.mp4

4) Driver side door doesnt open from the outside, works from inside - found bent tab in the opening mechnism, bent back into shape - works like a charm.

5) Steering feels rough to turn - Steering linkage seal is toast, retainer bent and grease is like asphalt - took out entire column to replace linkage and other items. Ordered mopar steering seal from Classic Industries and recieved it 2 days later! I will definitely use them again.

6) Turn signal doesnt turn left - Turn signal cam worn, ordered replacement on ebay (Bad quality from seller Van's Auto), returned, purchased NOS Mopar switch instead and waiting for it.

Dont buy from ebay seller vanautollc, he has no quality control and will send you junk that wont fit and is broken. Get screwed on shipping both ways too, not from him again, he'll refer to his return policy if you ask him to be fair about it. So here is what you will recieve if you order it from him.

broken horn switch (right out of the box)

Thats ready to short circuit

Wont fit without a dremel, and I dont plan to cut my turn signal arm.

7) Headlamp doors dont open when lights are on - Possibly the concealed headlamp relay, still working on it.

8 ) Radio/Speakers work but 8 track doesnt play - Where should I send my radio to be repaired/restored??

More to come...
'70 Charger RT

1969chargerrtse

Wow, great start for a thread.  Looks great, keep posting.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.