News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for advice "Selling a car overseas" ??

Started by Indygenerallee, July 08, 2012, 02:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

I have been trying to sell my 72 Dart Swinger and have had it listed several places with no takers, lots of lookers! Well I had a guy over on A-bodies only PM me and he wants to buy the Dart and he is from Germany, He called and talked to me for a bit this afternoon he says he has a shipper in L.A. and he and a partner buy cars and sell them in Germany. He told me he bought a Valiant from a guy out on the eastcoast last year and he is supposed to be getting me his number so I can talk to him for a reference. I was not born yesterday and I guess I am very, very reluctant to buy into it. He said he needed me to e-mail him a copy of the title (I don't like that fact) and that he would write a contract up and that he would transfer the money to my bank or he could send a check (but that would take longer) He sounded legit, said they had bought a 72 Demon and 70 Duster and just sold a 67 Mustang and 69 Nova, If I did go through with it I imagine opening a new account just for this transfer would be wise, also making sure I retrieve the funds before the transporter pulls out of my drive with the title in his hand. Anybody ever sold a car overseas!??? Would appreciate any tips on the contract and what to look for. Thanks!!!!  :cheers:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

chargerboy69

I just recently sold a pop up camper to Australia, no problems.

They will need a copy of the title in advance for customs, so that is typical.

Yes, set up a special account for the wire transfer only.  Once the money hits, move it out of the account.  They will need your banks routing number and swift code.  My wife is the manager of my bank, so she was able to oversee the entire process.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Daytona R/T SE

I've had a few of these guys want to "buy" my Imperial.

They always have a friend here that will handle the shipping.

When I tell them I won't take a wire transfer from an overseas bank they get mad.

When I tell them to just send the cash with whoever comes to get the car... They disappear.

I don't get it.

Some real human has to come and get the car in person, just send real money with them.

Silly scammers... ::)

Indygenerallee

That's what I told him I said just send cash with the transport driver! He said that he can't do that!??? That made me think it was a scam but? I guess I will look the contract over when I get it tomorrow I might even post it to see what you guy's think about it, or run it by the Lawyers office.

Daytona R/T SE

You might get lucky.

If you do, ask the guy if he wants an Imperial. :smilielol:

I just don't trust anybody...

Indygenerallee

chargerboy69

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 08, 2012, 03:26:37 PM
That's what I told him I said just send cash with the transport driver! He said that he can't do that!??? That made me think it was a scam but? I guess I will look the contract over when I get it tomorrow I might even post it to see what you guy's think about it, or run it by the Lawyers office.

If he can wire in the funds, what is the problem?  

They can not get into your accounts if you set up a separate account.  Once the cash hits, move it.

I sell several RV's a month on E-Bay, half the customers wire transfer over the cash.  If you think about it, the risk is all on their side.

To be honest, I would rather do a wire transfer than cash.  I have held way to many counterfeit bills and fake checks, and prefer the wire transfer.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Indygenerallee

Chargerboy, I am pretty funny when it comes to dealing in cash I always have a counterfeit pen and check all the bills before closing the deal you can't trust anyone anymore, but I will post the contract when I get it and you can tell me what you think of it! Thanks!  :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Talk to your friendly banker. They can recommend the right way to do it to ensure the money is in your account before you sign the title over...  VegasMike sold his Charger to someone in Germany and did it just this way. Everyone happy and I believe the new owner is a member here as well...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

aussiemuscle

That's what I told him I said just send cash with the transport driver! He said that he can't do that!???
i don't think transport companies will do that anyway. So long as you get your money, you'll be ok.

Steve P.

Many times people overseas that buy here have buyers agents that look at the car and report back to the buyer. Many times they will do the money transaction as well.. The problem is knowing who can and cannot be trusted as there are so many scammers out there... I think it is best to talk with your own bank on the best way to collect the money..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

rp23g7

I just sold my Duster to a guy in Germany.  He PayPal'ed me the money, but wanted to buy some stuff and send it to my house to go with the car.

He uses Schumaker Cargo Logistics.  They give you a address to mail the title and the bill of sale to before they pick up the car

Bob T

Hey, I can understand your concern. Not always a scam from overseas though.
I had to wire the money to my shipping/inspection  agent for my car and liased with  the seller setting up the time and place to meet ( flew two states away to the sellers home ) to inspect the car. He called me while he was there and discussed the car and when I had approved it he provided a Bank cheque made out to the seller personally.
They did the bill of sale etc and then he flew back with the title and the car got transported a few days later and then shipped to me in due course.
Difficult for overseas buyers to buy a car out of the U.S.A. without support and an ''on the ground'' presence
Really appreciated the sellers help to fit in with time frames and other details

Hey Daytona R/T SE, I also like your Imperial and would be happy to do a deal on it but I'm still getting over the wallet hollowing out that has been done in the last 12 months  :icon_smile_big:  Cant believe it has'nt sold yet
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Bob T on July 12, 2012, 05:28:52 AM

Hey Daytona R/T SE, I also like your Imperial and would be happy to do a deal on it but I'm still getting over the wallet hollowing out that has been done in the last 12 months  :icon_smile_big:  Cant believe it has'nt sold yet

It would be the biggest car in NZ. :2thumbs:

kingjoop

I'm from Holland, next to Germany and got me a few cars from the USA.. for us it's a gamble to sending all the $$ overseas becourse when it leaves our bank account.. no way of getting it back.. and i asked my shipping company to if i could send them the money but they dont accept that...

just let him wire the money... and your safe.. we can't get the money back anyway.. hahaha..

and if you still dont trust him.. go to www.mopar-forum.eu and ask about him... all the German mopar owners are on there..
1968 Dodge Charger R/T (8barrel 500Ci)
Only milk comes in 2 liters

My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber.

Hot Chicks and much more Horsepower: www.performancegirls.com

Indygenerallee

He wired/transfered the money today and said it would take 2-4 days that would get into my account.

bakerhillpins

Sounds like he sent the money via floppy disk rather than wire?  Wire should show up in minutes, it travels at the speed of electrons. Sounds like someone is skimming a few days of interest payments. When I bought mine they had the money in under 20min including all the phone calls and paperwork.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

kingjoop

na.. the USA routing system kinda sucks if you send it from outside the US.. sending to the usa it first have to got to a 1 bank and route it from there...

i did money wires that took 2 weeks to arrive in the usa.. going there by boat would be faster  :lol:

willard

i live in poland and for usnin europe it is more risky than for you. If we dont have a trusted representative in us we cant give you cash! Hence the wire transfer. You release the car and title upon payment receipt so that's no risk for you. Just avoid scammers and act honestly :-)

btw i got screwed: the car was in worse condition than advertised, battery and starter dead, and i paid for inspection... So we can loose more than you.

41husk

It took a couple of days from Australia to Illinois and was $25 short on both the deposit and the final payment.  He had a reciept showing he had sent the right amount and paid his fees but both times was $25 short at my end :shruggy:  I realy needed the money to buy Larrys Daytona, so was not going to lose the sale over $50.  The car is now for sale in Australia for 26k more than i sold it for :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

kingjoop

yes.. when i did a money wire i had to fill in who's going to pay for the money transfer... i always choose myself (options: myself, split or reciever) otherwise in the end they will take the cost of the money thats been send.. depending of the amount it's between 10 till 100$

boss429kiwi

Money goes into your bank account.
You withdraw the funds.
BANG! car is sold

I cannot see what the problem is?

I have purchased many cars from the US. Some make it easy, and for some is to hard for them?
If the money is coming from Germany, New Zealand or USA, its the same thing, whats the difference?
The car isn't sold until the money is in the bank.

To be honest, the guy in Germany is taking the bigger risk!

I just purchased another car last week from CA. I called the guy and we chatted for approx 1 hour, following day I made a deposit. He collected the funds the following days.
Two days later a transporter was at his door to pick up the car.
The seller said it was easier than selling "outer state".   

My 2 cents
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Bob T

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on July 12, 2012, 06:13:30 AM
Quote from: Bob T on July 12, 2012, 05:28:52 AM

It would be the biggest car in NZ. :2thumbs:

Haha, one of them. A mate of mine has a 78 Chrysler Newport. Save the Whales
Funny enough, a 58 Fury is about 4'' shorter than  my Charger  :shruggy: just looks bigger
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Cooperman

I'm in the UK, and bought my Charger from a good old boy out of West Virginia four years ago. Luckily enough for me, at the time I had an employee who was the husband of a USAF servicewoman stationed in the UK. His Dad owned a repair shop in North Carolina. I was able to wire his father the money, and he was able to go look at the car, pay the owner in cash, and take it away that same day. He kept the Charger in his shop for me for a month or so until the shippers came to collect. Everybody knew where they stood, nobody was going to get screwed. Having someone I trusted go look at the car was the best way for me. As others have said, the alternative is to wire the money and potentially watch it disappear into the mist. The risk rests entirely on the buyer - the seller just doesn't let the car out if his sight until the money is in hand.

Coincidentally, I also used Schumacher Cargo and it was a completely flawless service, from the paperwork to the constant and accurate communication. Hell, the ocean freight even had GPS. I could watch the boat float across the Atlantic! ...AND it was a day early!  :cheers:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Indygenerallee

I checked today and it's still has not been deposited but he said most likely will be in there by Monday (3 working business days from when he transfered) Im really not sweating it as he has been in contact almost every day and we talked on the phone last Saturday and he sounded reputable, he also had a list of what to do to prep the car for shipment. so as long as I get the money there will be a nice 72 Dart Swinger heading to Germany!!!