News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Springs.

Started by Brass, July 05, 2012, 05:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass

New springs from ESPO are on.  I ordered the 6-leaf springs they described as "police duty" at stock height; but they raised the rear another 1" to 1.25".  The old springs were assisted with coil-over shocks so it was hard to tell how much they were actually sagging.  In any case, it looks a little too high.  I was hoping they'd settle a little but it's been about a month and roughly 500 miles later, so that doesn't seem likely.  

I guess I could put in lowering blocks (not really the best option), have the new springs de-arched, bring the front out of the weeds to mitigate the ultra-aggressive rake, or drive and enjoy...

cdr

bring the front up about a 1/2 inch,looks good :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

For what its worth, my neighbor put new leaf springs on his 57 chevy and had the same problem. After the 1st season they had settled down to the "proper" height. I would run them for a while

Chryco Psycho

1" lowering block would be easy & you can dial in the pinion angle if it is off at the same time

Mopar Nut

I like them, would you share the part number? What size/brand wheel are you using?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

HPP

Or you could pick up a two position front hanger that allows you to drop the front eye 2". Bolt in change that can always be changed back.

That's kind of funny. Most complaints I've seen are that the new springs are too low.

twodko

Your car is a beaut and I think the stance is fitting for 2nd gens. I still have the stock springs on mine with air shocks to achieve the same rake your car has...........and I suffer the harsh air shock ride too. Has the ride become harsh with the new springs?
What brand springs are those, approx. cost and what size tire/wheel combo are you running on the rear?
That aggressive look is Mopar through and through.  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brass

Quote from: HPP on July 06, 2012, 08:38:23 AM
Or you could pick up a two position front hanger that allows you to drop the front eye 2". Bolt in change that can always be changed back.

Thanks all for the comments.  I'll probably just run it for a while but this isn't a bad idea – I'll give it some consideration.  

Brass

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 06, 2012, 02:35:54 AM
I like them, would you share the part number? What size/brand wheel are you using?

The wheels are Magnum 500's that came through Specialty, and I got the DC.com group rate.  8x15 in the front with 4.5" backspacing and 10x15 in back with 5" backspacing.  Tires are 245/60/15 and 295/50/15.  Magnums are painfully common but I like them and they suit the car.  Still, I might change them out in the future.  (The Billet Specialties black street lites caught my eye.)

Brass

Quote from: twodko on July 06, 2012, 11:28:27 AM
Your car is a beaut and I think the stance is fitting for 2nd gens. I still have the stock springs on mine with air shocks to achieve the same tour car has...........and I suffer the harsh air shock ride too. Has the ride become harsh with the new springs?
What brand springs are those, approx. cost and what size tire/wheel combo are you running on the rear?
That aggressive look is Mopar through and through.  :2thumbs:

Thanks - The springs are ESPO's HD, 6-leaf and ran about $400 with hardware and shipping.  Here is the company's site:  http://www.springsnthings.com/  I don't have the part number handy but I can get it.  They are stout.  The ride is stiffer but I prefer that.  See above re wheels/tires. :)

GMP440

I bought the same springs too for my 68' Coronet.  It lifted the rear like yours.  Looks good.  I raised the front end.  This was back in 04'.  The car sits like it did many years ago at the correct ride height.   The height of your springs now are actually correct.

Steve P.

Be aware that changing to the 2 hole front perch will also change you pinion angle. Personally I think the stance looks great, but it's your car and choice.

I would go with the lowering blocks that will also allow you to set your pinion angle if you still don't like the height after a while..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

b5blue

Consider alignment issues with excessive rake. Pointing the nose down has front geometry moving the wheel forward on rebound. Tough on bushings.  :scratchchin:

Brass

More food for thought.  Thanks.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Brass on July 06, 2012, 02:29:06 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 06, 2012, 02:35:54 AM

The wheels are Magnum 500's that came through Specialty, and I got the DC.com group rate.  8x15 in the front with 4.5" backspacing and 10x15 in back with 5" backspacing.  Tires are 245/60/15 and 295/50/15.  Magnums are painfully common but I like them and they suit the car.  Still, I might change them out in the future.  (The Billet Specialties black street lites caught my eye.)
When you decide you do want to sell the wheels, let me know. Thanks for information.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

As a test you could keep the tank mostly full and place 2 80lb sacks of cement in the trunk and see if it helps them settle down faster.  :scratchchin: