News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Charger Rallye new again

Started by 1973rallye, July 05, 2012, 10:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1973rallye

At the urging of Bob T here are some shots of my just completed project. 10 plus years in the making. Hope you enjoy. Have attached the Photobucket link for the build, sorry, some of the pictures may be out of order I think you will get the idea how it all came together.

Originally from Fresno, California. It is an original 400 4speed car, one of two that were used to make what you see here. I bought a rusty top banana 400 4speed orignally and that was used to furnish the interior, drivetrain, hood etc on what you see.

Top to bottom I have had every single piece off this car and managed to put everything back thanks to a digital camera and a good supply of ziplock bags. I am not an mechanic or a painter so relied heavily on those in the know to make it run. I am responsible for removing, sandblasting and painting every small part I could. The engine bay, underside and trunk were all done by me in my garage with the help of 4 six ton jack stands, a creeper, and sandblaster.

The engine is not correct and I have no idea where it ended up. It sports a 1977 high performance 440 block and the top banana car's Hurst Pistol grip 833A 4speed.

The car is now back to date correct intake/exhaust manifolds, thermoquad and whatever else I could find that would be period correct. TTI put together an exhaust system that fits like a glove and sounds awesome.

Classic Auto Air supplied the AC system and were an immense help in every way.

Steelies and dog dish speak for themselves, I wanted something other than the rallyes.

This is my favorite year, but because we all have our favorites everyone gets to enjoy a Charger PERIOD.

http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j473/73rallye/

1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

GOTWING

:drool5: looks super great, love it! I have a 73 S/E that was my first car, bought it in 84. Love 3 gen.

71_Charger_R/T

VERY nice job! It looks FANTASTIC! Nice to see your attention to detail.

charge69

That is a BEAUTIFUL Charger and you must be very proud of it. I like the steelies and hubcaps on it and can see why you run them. Congrats on a job well done! :2thumbs:

Dans 68

Thanks to Bob T for having you post your car. Fine looking restoration.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Indygenerallee

Looks great!!! I love the steelies!!!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Scaregrabber

AKcharger

Very nice! One question, on that year was the front of the radiator support supposed to be matt black or body color??

Bob T

Good work 1973rallye, Thanks for the pics  :2thumbs:

A 10+ resto is a big deal, not just the dough, the whole thing, the longest off road job I've done was a year and that was a grind and it was badly rushed at the end, bolting it together and still doing wiring the afternoon before a huge road trip around the South Island - the ferry was booked so we had to be there..
Had a look through your photobucket thread, big job alright but it looked fairly solid to start with, always a bonus

Well done man - Be Proud , It looks great. Now, get some fun miles in  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1973rallye

Quote from: AKcharger on July 06, 2012, 04:12:56 AM
Very nice! One question, on that year was the front of the radiator support supposed to be matt black or body color??

Here is one of the first photos I took of it. It was untouched, paint wise save for a GTX stripe someone added to the C pillar. Looks as if the front was body color with a black overspray on the headlight bucket and lower rad cradle area.  Hope this helps.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed

AirborneSilva

EccentricMagpies

'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

72Charger-SE

:2thumbs:

Very impressive!  Great Job on your restoration!  

I am praying mine looks 1/2 as nice as yours when done.  I have a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG way to go!  

AmadeusCharger500

Totall Wow.

Did it get any major sheet metal in the resto?

I'm on my 2nd quarter panel with my 73, going on 2 years now.

Love the 3rd gens!!

greymag

Very nice. Mine had 2 wheels pointed toward the junkyard when I found it. All metal Texas car made the resto easy

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

moparchris

Congrat's on getting your Charger completed.  Hope you have many enjoyable miles behnd the wheel :cheers:
I always thought that was a slick looking body style.

1973rallye

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on July 06, 2012, 07:01:23 PM
Totall Wow.

Did it get any major sheet metal in the resto?

I'm on my 2nd quarter panel with my 73, going on 2 years now.

Love the 3rd gens!!

No sheet metal in the restoration save for the passenger rear footwell which I replaced from the top banana 73 I had initially purchased. When I asked my painter to come by and give me a quote for paint he thought for sure the car would have issues under the paint. Luckily I was correct and the paint was in fact original and no rust issues. I scraped and degreased the entire underside of the factory coating. You can see the results on photobucket. I got lucky and the car is indeed a head turner if the past few days are any indication. Glad you enjoy it and I hope all have as much fun with their builds as I did with mine. Ray
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed

1973rallye

Second showing at collector car appreciation day July 13, 2012. This shot was taken by my sweetie.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Homerr

I'm not a fan of white cars and I don't like 3rd gen Chargers, but I love this car! 

Great job showing what a stunner one of these can be.

TUFCAT

1973rallye

Quote from: Homerr on July 17, 2012, 09:45:32 AM
I'm not a fan of white cars and I don't like 3rd gen Chargers, but I love this car! 

Great job showing what a stunner one of these can be.

and to me... that says it all. Thanks to all for the compliments. Ray
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73