News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Could the lady at the storage facility really have done this?

Started by RECHRGD, July 03, 2012, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

During the cruise/show season I keep the Charger in a 10x20 storage unit close to town.  I went to pick it up the other day and punched in my code at the front gate.  The gate opened like normal and I drive back to my unit, open it up and get ready to swap cars.  Then a lady walks up and says she's the new live-in manager of the place and wants to know when I'm going to pay my bill.  I told her that it is set up as an auto pay to my credit card and it shows up on every monthly statement.  She says "well we show no payment for the last 12 months and were about to cut the lock and sell the contents.  I told her that if she tried anything like that I'd have her arrested.  Long story short, she found the mistake was in her computer and all is well now.  But, it got me to thinking about how that could happen.  Surely they would have to have tried to contact the owner and get payment several times before attempting anything like that.  And how could they legally sell a vehicle that's registered to someone else.  I think there's some reality show on now about the same subject.......
13.53 @ 105.32

Cooter

Like I stated in another thread....NEVER park your car at someone else's place..NEVER works out in your favor. YES, she could and most DO sell off the contents if you actually haden't paid the bill... However, I would think she'd be liable if she sold the contents based on a mistake ....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparstuart

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 03, 2012, 03:21:36 PM
During the cruise/show season I keep the Charger in a 10x20 storage unit close to town.  I went to pick it up the other day and punched in my code at the front gate.  The gate opened like normal and I drive back to my unit, open it up and get ready to swap cars.  Then a lady walks up and says she's the new live-in manager of the place and wants to know when I'm going to pay my bill.  I told her that it is set up as an auto pay to my credit card and it shows up on every monthly statement.  She says "well we show no payment for the last 12 months and were about to cut the lock and sell the contents.  I told her that if she tried anything like that I'd have her arrested.  Long story short, she found the mistake was in her computer and all is well now.  But, it got me to thinking about how that could happen.  Surely they would have to have tried to contact the owner and get payment several times before attempting anything like that.  And how could they legally sell a vehicle that's registered to someone else.  I think there's some reality show on now about the same subject.......
leins are a very scarey thing ,  if you leave your car with my repair shop and i file all the paper work as abandon with no payment the car becomes mine .  I do have to prove i have sent letters though  :)  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 03, 2012, 03:21:36 PM
Sounds like she was trying to be a bully and scare you.  I'm sure by law they have to notify people, get a sheriff involved etc.....
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Indygenerallee

....Bloody hell would ensue if that something like that came to fruition!!!!!!!!!! F that!!! Sounds like some stuck up bitch I would have told her to suck my dick and that's the last I would be doing business at that storage facility!!!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Could have been worse, she could have followed through on her threat and you not known it until seeing your car turn up on that show where they bid on the contents of the storage bins.

RECHRGD

Well, I've kept the car at this place for several years now and never had a problem.  I live out in the country off a gravel road and trailer the car out in the spring and back in the winter.  They do seem to go through managers on a regular basis though.....
13.53 @ 105.32

chargerboy69

Your car could have ended up on Storage Wars.  ;)

I am guessing Barry would have bought it as he is a car guy and drives a different street rod every show.  :icon_smile_big:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on July 03, 2012, 03:33:44 PM
Could have been worse, she could have followed through on her threat and you not known it until seeing your car turn up on that show where they bid on the contents of the storage bins.
there are several

Auction Hunters | Antiques Appraisals & Sales | Full Episodes | Spike
www.spike.com/shows/auction-hunters

http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/

http://www.trutv.com/shows/storage-hunters/index.html

they are probable all fake but the truTV one is the worst and the funniest
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Cooter

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 03, 2012, 03:42:44 PM
They do seem to go through managers on a regular basis though.....

This is the main problem with places like that....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RECHRGD

Quote from: Cooter on July 03, 2012, 03:56:29 PM

That's true.  Had a manager about a year ago that was WAY too interested in the car.  But, this woman didn't have a clue what she was looking at.....
13.53 @ 105.32

Cooter

With these retarded shows like "Storage wars" and the like, even the most stupid dumbass thinks he/she will "cash -in" on someone else's misfortune...

Managers are only the first line of defense, yet some are only in that position because no one else wanted it. Doesn't mean they are smart, efficient, and care about what they do. They are most likely some pissed off POS that got stuck with the position and are looking to profit from a simple computer "Glitch"...

One would think they'd at least have to give somebody at least 30 days to claim their property before selling off, but this only works if they tell you you are behind or that there's a problem. If they wait until your 12 months behind to inform you, then you have no recourse. Leagalized seizure.

RECHRGD

Well in this case, I see no way that they could have LEGALLY done it.  Absolutly no notice of overdue payment.  Access code to enter the facility was never aborted.  Have CC statements that the facility was paid every month.  Not saying some POS might not try it, but heads would roll big time....
13.53 @ 105.32

HPP

However, if they did do it that way and you went to court to prove it was done illegally, your car would still be gone and there would be no recourse to get it back.

RECHRGD

Well, if it did go to court, they would have to disclose to whom it was sold and it would still be legally my car.  Worst case scenario; if it was shipped off to Timbucktoo and never seen again, it's insured for an agreed to value against theft...
13.53 @ 105.32

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 03, 2012, 03:59:30 PM

That's true.  Had a manager about a year ago that was WAY too interested in the car.  But, this woman didn't have a clue what she was looking at.....

Hmm, he was wayy to interested in your car right around the time the supposed 'glitch' happened?  Perhaps he initiated the glitch with the hopes of have a buddy come snag up the car at 'auction' and then left before he could do it.   I don't trust anyone.

I'm starting to think I should start a classics only storage garage that charges extra but puts the cars on serious lockdown and makes sure they're climate controlled and taken care of.    Does this kind of thing already exist at un-astronomical rates?   I live in a beach area where most of the houses don't have attached garages, and nobody's leaving their classic out in the salt air in their right mind.  The guy diagonal from me has a Viper, but I know he parks it elsewhere, I only see it on weekends.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

cdr

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on July 03, 2012, 05:56:38 PM

Hmm, he was wayy to interested in your car right around the time the supposed 'glitch' happened?  Perhaps he initiated the glitch with the hopes of have a buddy come snag up the car at 'auction' and then left before he could do it.   I don't trust anyone.

I'm starting to think I should start a classics only storage garage that charges extra but puts the cars on serious lockdown and makes sure they're climate controlled and taken care of.    Does this kind of thing already exist at un-astronomical rates?   I live in a beach area where most of the houses don't have attached garages, and nobody's leaving their classic out in the salt air in their right mind.  The guy diagonal from me has a Viper, but I know he parks it elsewhere, I only see it on weekends.
now that would add up
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

OldGuy

"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

RECHRGD

Quote from: cdr on July 03, 2012, 06:10:39 PM
Quote from: hatersaurusrex on July 03, 2012, 05:56:38 PM

That's true.  Had a manager about a year ago that was WAY too interested in the car.  But, this woman didn't have a clue what she was looking at.....

Hmm, he was wayy to interested in your car right around the time the supposed 'glitch' happened?  Perhaps he initiated the glitch with the hopes of have a buddy come snag up the car at 'auction' and then left before he could do it.   I don't trust anyone.

I'm starting to think I should start a classics only storage garage that charges extra but puts the cars on serious lockdown and makes sure they're climate controlled and taken care of.    Does this kind of thing already exist at un-astronomical rates?   I live in a beach area where most of the houses don't have attached garages, and nobody's leaving their classic out in the salt air in their right mind.  The guy diagonal from me has a Viper, but I know he parks it elsewhere, I only see it on weekends.
now that would add up

Yea, that would add up and I was thinking the same thing.  Also, that he may have been somehow diverting my payments into his account or something.  But I think in this instance, it just came down to the new manager being an idiot.  When she typed in my name, no payments were listed.  When she typed in the unit number all the payments showed up.  Wouldn't one think to type in the unit number first and all the info should be there?
13.53 @ 105.32

Tilar

Quote from: Ghoste on July 03, 2012, 03:33:44 PM

I would have gone to jail for killing that bitch.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Brock Lee

I don't know how the current laws are set up, but my father would occasionally auction storage units in the 80's and 90's. Cars were treated differently from the other contents. The place would have to file a lien on the car just like a garage would on a car sitting in their lot apparently abandoned. Letters have to be mailed to your last known address and most areas even require you to publish something in area newspapers. After they jump through all the legal hoops, only then can they obtain a title and sell the car.

BigBlackDodge

I remember seeing a Jag in one of those 'storage auction' shows, they said the car was not part of the auction. Getting the title would be a hassle I guess.

BBD

Aero426

Leno was able to acquire an unrestored Duesenberg in NYC under similar circumstances.    He bought it from the parking garage who had put a lien on it.  This was probably no coincidence since Jay had sniffed the car out and actively wanted to buy it.  The estate of the car owner later filed suit that the lien was improper.  It was settled out of court last year with Leno keeping the car.    The estate got some additional money from the garage. 

More of the story here:
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/collector-cars/30s-cars/leno-settles-duesenberg-lawsuit

Topher

How did she know that no payments were in the system under your name if all the payments were under the unit number? You should move your business elsewhere immediately.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

bill440rt

Growing up we only had a one car garage. With my brother & I both being Mopar enthusiasts, we used to rent several private garages out of people's homes. Never an issue.

In this case I agree with the aforementioned posters, get your car outta there & find something with more reputable business practices.  :angel:
Good luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce