News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

different size bars.

Started by justcruisin, July 04, 2012, 05:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justcruisin

I was under my 71 r/t Charger when I noticed that the T Bars are different sizes, I scraped the crud off from the rear end - the left side read 779 and the right was 780. From my info these are factory numbers for the .900 and .920 bars, they seem to be the originals, I guess the factory made mistakes or someone has damaged one at some stage. The right bar seems correct but the left one should be a 781. Is this a problem?

Cooter

How do you know the left side should be a "781"? I guess it's possible that someone swapped one out for what they had at the time thinking they were all the same.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

justcruisin

I don't have the build sheet but as far as I know the r/t model came through with the .920 bars. The 781 is a .920 left side bar. I did read a post which suggested that the factory did install bars with a slightly larger size on the right in some cases. :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

According to the book 780 and 781 would be the correct pair, a 779 would be accompanied by a 778.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HPP

Measure them to verify. Don't trust the numbers.

This isn't a huge difference in rate, but it may be noticeable in different feel from left to right turns. It certainly would be better to have a matched set on a street car.

justcruisin

Yep, I did measure them, and one is .900 and the other is .920. I should have picked it up before as the left adjuster is wound up more than the right. I never noticed any handling issues but everything suspension wise needs a go over.