News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

master cylinders, disc brakes '68-'70 B's.....

Started by hemi68charger, July 02, 2012, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Does anyone have a GOOD source of remanufactured or new master cylinders for power disc brake applications, '68-70 B-body.. I'm at my wits end with the junk that CARDONE sells. It seems it is the only vendor all the part stores here in Houston buy from. All my brakes seem to be bled correctly, gravity bled and pumped.. No bubbles. But, when I apply them under a load, they don't work. I have to force them as hard as I can for the back wheels to stop. The rear wheel cylinders are new and I have all new hardware. I have adjusted the rears. If all my bleed screws have fluid coming out of them during gravity bleeding, then my valving (proportion valve, etc) must be fine. It has to be the master cylinder. Also, I don't think the booster not hooked up to vacuum will effect the pump bleeding..

Application is my '69 Charger 500
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gtx6970

Are the valves original or repop ?

But,I've sold maybe a dozen or so of these and never a problem(knocks on wood ) ,,,even have one on the car in the shop

no core charge either

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-Master-cylinder-Mopar-B-body-Disc-brakes-/230661851537?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b4848991

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yup....Bill seems to have a stash of these NAPA units I found a few years ago (are they the same?):cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30312.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 03, 2012, 06:30:30 AM
Are the valves original or repop ?

But,I've sold maybe a dozen or so of these and never a problem(knocks on wood ) ,,,even have one on the car in the shop

no core charge either

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-Master-cylinder-Mopar-B-body-Disc-brakes-/230661851537?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b4848991

Bill, you talking about the valves; you mean the proportioning valve and safety switch? The link, those are Cardone or Napa units?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

gtx6970

The valves on the inner frame rail.
I have had several problems with the Inline tube repop valves

The units I have I bought in bulk, = no boxes . but I think cardone, they are brand new NOT remans.

Although I do have an original OEM casting thats been rebuilt if your so inclined.

hemi68charger

Well,, looks like I learn something new.. When bleeding power brake cars, you have to have the engine running when testing. That what it was. I have always rebuilt manual system cars. Even though my Daytona is power brakes, I haven't gone to the extent of this and the motor and booster were already connected. So, as Charlie stated to me, the proportion valve works with power brakes and in my case, it worked perfectly.. So, everything seems to be fine and dandy, thus far.. I have to get the front tires on again and button things up for a test drive up and down the driveway...

Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 03, 2012, 10:02:53 AM
The valves on the inner frame rail.
I have had several problems with the Inline tube repop valves

The units I have I bought in bulk, = no boxes . but I think cardone, they are brand new NOT remans.

Although I do have an original OEM casting thats been rebuilt if your so inclined.
Bill do they have the same markings as the ones I posted in the link above?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

All the cars I have owned have had power brakes and I have never needed to have the car running to bleed them.  Since then I have bought a pressure bleeder kit and still have yet to run the car when bleeding out the brakes as they always turn out good.

I agree with Bill as I have had 2 bad hold off proportioning valves for the rear brakes.  In Line Tube repro valves suck!!!!!!  Its not a question of if they fail on you, it is WHEN they fail (and usually at the most inopportune time)
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger RT

Napa lists a reman master under part number NMC P2026. I bought one as a spare it was a new unit in the box. $28.00 I had them slow boat it to florida to avoid shipping. They show 4 still in Philadelphia.
Tim

kab69440

I yanked mine (booster, m.c., prop valve) off a Diplomat cop car years ago. Still working fine and replacement parts are readily available. Not for the factory correct types, but gets the job done.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."