News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender covers

Started by bakerhillpins, July 25, 2012, 03:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Looking for suggestions on fender covers.  I saw a vendor selling what looked to be a rubber one at Carlisle, others seem to be vinyl (leather?) and have a soft/fuzzy backing..  Do any of them work better than others with regard to keeping tools on the fender, keeping the paint from being scratched, etc?  Off the cuff I would think the rubber type mats would have a big probability of trapping dirt and scratching the paint..   :shruggy:

What's the word?

Lots of stuff out there was hoping to find something with the big blue M and or Mopar on it.  :2thumbs:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

elacruze

I carry a couple 'gimmes' from CarQuest in the trunk. A buddy of mine uses the cheap rubber-backed rugs you buy at wal-mart since they're half the price and don't scratch, and absorb mung from your sweaty arms and oily tools.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bakerhillpins

What are the gimmies made of?  I take it the rubber backed rugs didn't scratch for your bud?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

elacruze

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 25, 2012, 03:11:41 PM
What are the gimmies made of?  I take it the rubber backed rugs didn't scratch for your bud?

the gimmes are just standard vinyl fender covers with the CQ name on them, rubber backed. The rugs don't scratch.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

tan top

i use  2 snakeoyl  fendergrippers   one each side !  then  3 bath towels one on each fender one across the top of radiator support & top of grill frame  , then  couple of mopar vinyl fender covers & couple of old vinyl fender covers placed where required
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bakerhillpins

Quote from: tan top on July 25, 2012, 04:45:24 PM
i use  2 snakeoyl  fendergrippers   one each side !  then  3 bath towels one on each fender one across the top of radiator support & top of grill frame  , then  couple of mopar vinyl fender covers & couple of old vinyl fender covers placed where required

:o  Ready for surgery eh?  :lol: 

The snakeoyl fendergripper cover seems to be offered by several different shops and appear to be made of a rubber type compound. Do you prefer the fendergripper or vinyl materials?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

69rtse4spd

I can see this going off in left Field real quick.  :smilielol:.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on July 26, 2012, 02:48:05 PM
I can see this going off in left Field real quick.  :smilielol:.

Hey now, Stop giving people them kind of ideas. :nono:    Did come out that way didn't it  :P 
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

twodko

X2 plus I put up my EZ Up over the front of the car.....I have enough headroom in my garage, then I place 4 drip pans underneath, then I bubble wrap the hood, cover the from tires with TyVek and the entire engine with Saran wrap except where I need to work. When i'm ready to work I don my level 4 hazmat suit, Scott air pack and carry plenty of rubbers!  :D :D :D :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  :nana:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

tan top

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 26, 2012, 02:02:50 PM

:o  Ready for surgery eh?  :lol:  

The snakeoyl fendergripper cover seems to be offered by several different shops and appear to be made of a rubber type compound. Do you prefer the fendergripper or vinyl materials?

fender grippers  , were a waste of money :Twocents:  they are too thin , would not risk using them alone !!   hence why i bought two of the mopar vinyl covers too ! , ok for a base & clings to the fender ,   but used how i do ! it  all works good  , although  swapping  a set of heavly worked  452s  a while back on    , did cut thick cardboard & place under the vinyl covers as extra margine of safty , did not want mechanics  elbow dents in the top of fender :lol:

Quote from: twodko on July 26, 2012, 03:49:56 PM

X2 plus I put up my EZ Up over the front of the car.....I have enough headroom in my garage, then I place 4 drip pans underneath, then I bubble wrap the hood, cover the from tires with TyVek and the entire engine with Saran wrap except where I need to work. When i'm ready to work I don my level 4 hazmat suit, Scott air pack and carry plenty of rubbers!  :D :D :D :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  :nana:
:2thumbs: :lol: :cheers: :lol:
damn !! never thought of bubble wrap  :coolgleamA: , i know exactaly what i'm going to use that for  :yesnod: ;D

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bakerhillpins

Quote from: tan top on July 27, 2012, 11:33:17 AM
 fender grippers  , were a waste of money :Twocents:  they are too thin , would not risk using them alone !!   hence why i bought two of the mopar vinyl covers too ! , ok for a bace & clings to the fender ,   but used how i do ! it  all works good  , although  swapping  a set of heavly worked  452s  a while back on    , did cut thick cardboard & place under the vinyl covers as extra margine of safty , did not want mechanics  elbow dents in the top of fender :lol:

Cool, thanks for the feedback!  :2thumbs:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bill440rt

Baker, I use one of these:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ultra+soft+fender+cover.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

It is deluxe. Super thick, and has sewn in magnets & sticks well. Has pockets for tools, etc. Also machine washable. Doesn't have an "M" on it or say Mopar as you were looking for, but works for me.  :icon_smile_wink:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

Quote from: twodko on July 26, 2012, 03:49:56 PM
i use  2 snakeoyl  fendergrippers   one each side !  then  3 bath towels one on each fender one across the top of radiator support & top of grill frame  , then  couple of mopar vinyl fender covers & couple of old vinyl fender covers placed where required

X2 plus I put up my EZ Up over the front of the car.....I have enough headroom in my garage, then I place 4 drip pans underneath, then I bubble wrap the hood, cover the from tires with TyVek and the entire engine with Saran wrap except where I need to work. When i'm ready to work I don my level 4 hazmat suit, Scott air pack and carry plenty of rubbers!  :D :D :D :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  :nana:
Where's the sexy underdressed assistant that hands you tools?