News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bought a 69 Charger - Feedback?

Started by Shredthepow, July 01, 2012, 01:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shredthepow

I just bought this 1969 Charger, my first car restoration.  I am going to complete it with my son.

From what I show on the VIN, the car was originally a 383.

X   Model   Dodge Charger
P   Class   Premium
29   Body   2-door sports hardtop
G   Engine   V8 383 CID 1-2BBL "B"
9   Year   1969
B   Assembly   Hamtramck, Michigan

Any feedback on the car I bought would be appreciated....hopefully I did enough homework & bought well.  Looking forward to the day I can drive this beast!  Thanks!

Details:

1969 dodge charger , rust free ....California car , no accidents clean ca title, no rust , have a newly rebuilt 727 transmission and a date correct 440 engine that go with the car, ready for a restoration, have most parts needed.  New front disc brakes, new power steering, new poly bushings.  No interior.  $12,500.

Ghoste

Based on that, I'd say you've done well.  :2thumbs:

Finn

Looks to be in much better shape than mine and you only paid slightly more. :2thumbs: Should be a fun project!! Whats the plan for it build wise?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Ghoste

nvrbdn

looking pretty good. time to start making your shopping list. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Scaregrabber

The rustfree part is a smart move if it's true. No interior scares me though? Some of the Charger specific parts are pretty pricey.

Sheldon

Shredthepow

Thanks for your feedback.  I am very excited to begin the project.
It does have most of the small interior parts, just not the big pieces....headliner, seats, carpet.  Hopefully all of those expensive pieces are there in the box!
I plan to have the 440 rebuilt.  I would like to paint it the original color....my brother is pushing me to go General Lee on it.
It's going to be a long project & honestly I have no idea where to even start.  I am going to sit back a few months and gather all the info I can, then get this thing going.  I am just excited to have the Charger in my garage!
Chris

ACUDANUT

Nice, car. Paint it any color you want.  It can only be original once anyway.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nvrbdn

thats the biggie, getting the car in the garage. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

lukedukem

Chris, do you know what the original color was? congrats on the great buy.
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Finn

Are you in California? If so where at?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Scaregrabber

GL's are boring as all get out. I like your idea of painting it the original colour.

Sheldon

nh_mopar_fan

It's always a head scratcher to me when people ask for opinions on a car AFTER they bought it.

:shruggy:

elacruze

Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 02, 2012, 03:10:34 PM
GL's are boring as all get out. I like your idea of painting it the original colour.

Sheldon
+1
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

Quote from: Shredthepow on July 02, 2012, 08:50:17 AM
Thanks for your feedback.  I am very excited to begin the project.
It does have most of the small interior parts, just not the big pieces....headliner, seats, carpet.  Hopefully all of those expensive pieces are there in the box!
I plan to have the 440 rebuilt.  I would like to paint it the original color....my brother is pushing me to go General Lee on it.

Chris

Of course your brother would be correct if in fact all you wanted was a ride on the "Attention grabber" train...Not that any other color wouldn't grab attation, but Get ready for the "When are you gonna paint it orange" comments.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: elacruze on July 02, 2012, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 02, 2012, 03:10:34 PM

Sheldon
+1
+2

So what's the original color? 
You don't want a 40+ year old carpet and headliner so don't worry about those.  Seats can be found, all you really need is the frame of a 6?-69 b body seat, you can buy the new foam and covers.  You can find the headrests on ebay from time to time and I believe Bill had a set for sale a while ago so maybe he still has them.  You'll need the headliner bows so start looking for those if your car didn't come with them.  Consoles are plenty but shop around, some people charge an arm and a leg for one.  What else are you missing?  Mine came with lots of boxes so I'll be happy to look if you need something.  Nothing big though, all I have left is small parts.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

:Twocents:  Don't do a GL unless you are REALLY committed to it.  I have a GL of my own and I'm saying this.  

The confederate flag doesn't cause you much trouble but the attention does.  A $30K GL gets more attention than a $300,000 Ferarri, literally.  And a lot of people are less respectful about it being private property than if it was a $300 POS.  People will walk right up and lean on it, drop their kids on the fender to take a picture, pull the door handles & hood, etc.  If you use the car in public you will find smudges & scratches on the body from time to time.  

As for the guys in the old car world, GLs are kinda like red '69 Camaros.  Everyone understands the appeal.  But the look is so overdone that everyone groans when they hear another one is being built.  

Shredthepow

I really want to go GL, but I wont.  Original paint color is Sunfire Yellow with Tan interior.  I dont know if I will go original either.  For now, since it is mostly apart, I think I am going to do a frame off restoration. 

I finally got the car in my garage & there are a few rust spots around the rear window & in the trunk.  So much to do, I am just going to take it slow & figure it out...

How hard is it to remove the body on these?

Dino

Quote from: Shredthepow on July 15, 2012, 06:31:21 PM
I really want to go GL, but I wont.  Original paint color is Sunfire Yellow with Tan interior.  I dont know if I will go original either.  For now, since it is mostly apart, I think I am going to do a frame off restoration. 

I finally got the car in my garage & there are a few rust spots around the rear window & in the trunk.  So much to do, I am just going to take it slow & figure it out...

How hard is it to remove the body on these?

It's a unibody, nothing to remove.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Shredthepow

Thanks.  So, I guess I will head to the body/paint shop!

y3chargerrt

Y2 and Tan? I'd so back to original in a second.

bonfire1009

congrats, I bought my about 3 yrs ago.  I bought a book that (and there are many out there) that will help give helpful suggestions as to the order of things.  I however figured and made a list of things that I knew needed work or replacing and then adding if I could do those things or would have to pay someone.  That help me set my budget and at first I felt overwhelmed but the biggest advice I can give is patience.  Also if you want to keep driving it while in doing the restore, it sounds weird but if you still want to drive around maybe the paint job should be last.
Do research and search for different prices, this site is full of swell guys  :2thumbs: who have answered my 'silly' questions.  Just like everything else there is a season for buying parts and if you have done any research on a part when you go to places like swap meets you will know if the deal is a steal or not.
At first I knew I wouldn't have a 100 point car and there was going to be alot aftermarket parts, but I am missing my fender tag and I have been searching off and on since I bought it to find it.  Chrysler records are lost for the 69 year so I am really shooting in the dark.  I want to paint it the original color but I gave myself a deadline and if I cant find it by then I will paint it with a non traditional scheme.
good luck and when you are down just sit in it and picture Daisy sitting next to you.  Well it motivates me   ::)

JB400

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 15, 2012, 03:13:54 PM

:Twocents:  Don't do a GL unless you are REALLY committed to it.  I have a GL of my own and I'm saying this. 

The confederate flag doesn't cause you much trouble but the attention does.  A $30K GL gets more attention than a $300,000 Ferarri, literally.  And a lot of people are less respectful about it being private property than if it was a $300 POS.  People will walk right up and lean on it, drop their kids on the fender to take a picture, pull the door handles & hood, etc.  If you use the car in public you will find smudges & scratches on the body from time to time. 

As for the guys in the old car world, GLs are kinda like red '69 Camaros.  Everyone understands the appeal.  But the look is so overdone that everyone groans when they hear another one is being built. 

Thanks for the input. I'm here in dirt track country and when I mention charger, they mention GL.  It's something to consider before I paint mine. I'm still undecided.  There are a couple GL's in my area, but I have yet to see them.  Maybe that's why.

Ghoste

That situation doesn't just exist in dirt track country.  If you own a second gen Charger the suggestions to GL it are pretty much universal.