News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got a project 70, now the fun/pain begins

Started by toocheaptosmoke, June 29, 2012, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toocheaptosmoke

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 15, 2013, 08:49:41 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 15, 2013, 08:46:14 PM
Still waiting  :popcrn:

I was 1:13 seconds too late.  :lol:

You let me down.. like usual  :rotz:

Also nice footprint gas pedal, now i need to get something different, otherwise our primered 2nd gens will be far too similar   :slap:

toocheaptosmoke

That foot print gas pedal is a Cal-Custom, made in Japan.  From what I can find it looks to be late 60's early 70's era.  So I have an authentic retro tacky accessory.  :icon_smile_big:  That made my day, and it was the only footprint gas pedal I saw there!

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 15, 2013, 09:01:14 PM
That foot print gas pedal is a Cal-Custom, made in Japan.  From what I can find it looks to be late 60's early 70's era.  So I have an authentic retro tacky accessory.  :icon_smile_big:  That made my day, and it was the only footprint gas pedal I saw there!

Made in japan you say  :scratchchin: Hmmm yeah i can see those being popular there, i guess ill make my own gas pedal out of an old horseshoe or something idunno  :scratchchin:

toocheaptosmoke

Baldwinvette77

Hmmmm no, i was thinking of something even more ridiculous  :icon_smile_big:

Baldwinvette77

just stumbled upon an idea for a shifter handle  :o

Bob T

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 15, 2013, 09:06:44 PM
Find one of these,

A mate of mine had one of those in his 454 flatbottom boat with the aluminum jet plane/top fuel style 1/2 wheel.
Maybe that could work  :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

moparstuart

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 15, 2013, 09:01:14 PM
i picked up the matching foot print dimmer switch   for my rat rod  for a buck only part i bought all weekend  lol
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on July 16, 2013, 06:46:48 AM
If its good enough for Joe Dirt... :lol:
here is a baby joe dirt

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn:

Bob T

At least you could've ground off the "Taiwan" Stu  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 15, 2013, 09:17:58 PM
just stumbled upon an idea for a shifter handle  :o

Made in Japan for sure.  :lol:

Haha, that dimmer-foot is pretty sweet!  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 16, 2013, 08:50:57 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 15, 2013, 09:17:58 PM
just stumbled upon an idea for a shifter handle  :o

Made in Japan for sure.  :lol:

Haha, that dimmer-foot is pretty sweet!  :2thumbs:
I might have gotten it from the same guy you did  ?  i bought it early early thursday and he had a foot print gas pedal too but i have two already

toocheaptosmoke

I think it was a guy around mid field, like 1 or two rows before you started up the hill?  The whole group was getting a laugh that somebody was actually interested in it.  :lol:  Shelled out 5 bucks, but it was worth it.  They said something like I better not put that on a nice car and ruin it.  I said no, don't worry, it's just going on a 1970 charger.  There was much face-palm.    :smilielol:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 16, 2013, 09:03:27 PM
I think it was a guy around mid field, like 1 or two rows before you started up the hill?  The whole group was getting a laugh that somebody was actually interested in it.  :lol:  Shelled out 5 bucks, but it was worth it.  They said something like I better not put that on a nice car and ruin it.  I said no, don't worry, it's just going on a 1970 charger.  There was much face-palm.    :smilielol:

I love getting facepalm reactions, they seem to be the most rewarding  :lol:

toocheaptosmoke

Don't have any video, but it runs!!!    :icon_smile_big:  Still have problems with the ignition switch, which is what I think has been giving me problems all along.   It will show 12v to the coil when switched to the different positions, but during cranking the voltage drops down, and sometimes it cuts out completely.  :shruggy:  Going to have to try another switch, even though this one was a brand new mexico made unit.  :brickwall:    Hot wired things together and got spark, dumped some fuel in the carb and away she went.

Baldwinvette77

Did you at least take any pictures of it on fire?  :shruggy: , for the switch you could always run a pushbutton on the dash, just label it "self destruct" to avoid car theft  :P

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 22, 2013, 06:23:38 AM
Did you at least take any pictures of it on fire?  :shruggy: , for the switch you could always run a pushbutton on the dash, just label it "self destruct" to avoid car theft  :P

Didn't get any pics of the fire, didn't want to melt the camera...  ;)       I think I'll save the "self destruct" button on the dash for a nitrous system.  :D

toocheaptosmoke

Now things are coming together.

This is what was left of my original gas tank pad.

So I was looking up parts on ebay and they called the pad "tar paper"  so I was like, I can do that!  Had some scraps left over from a while back, that's why you never throw stuff away.  :yesnod:

Fuel tank went in.

Sealed up the diff cover, ready for gear oil now.

Rigged a throttle cable holder together, but the cable still seems a bit short

She's got eye sockets

Ok, which wipers will fit?  :shruggy:

Baldwinvette77

none of the wipers will fit, just give them to me, i wont even charge you  :yesnod: , liking the empty eye socket look, and the footprint really ties everything together  :2thumbs:

toocheaptosmoke

Here's another question for the experts:

I got these switches at the swap meet, the one with more terminals, I was told, is a 2 speed wiper switch.  The other switch I got from a dollar pile.  Which one (hopefully one) of these is for a 2 speed wiper?  :shruggy:  They are both 3 position rocker switches.

Baldwinvette77

maybe the image of this 3 speed switch should help ye out  :shruggy:

toocheaptosmoke

OK, found this on ebay,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymouth-Dodge-NOS-MOPAR-Rocker-Style-2-Speed-Windshield-Wiper-Switch-/251217267938?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7db74ce2&vxp=mtr

So it looks like the one on the right is correct, just need to figure out what the other one is for.  :lol:

The ignition switch problem is driving me crazy! :RantExplode:  I bought another switch because it appeared that it wasn't putting enough power to the coil wire.  So, I got one from taiwan instead of mexcico, SAME DAMN THING!!!   No spark, lack of voltage to coil while cranking, and then the wheel lock mechanism started binding up for no reason and wouldn't let me take the key out!  I didn't start throwing wrenches, but I did rip out the locking mechanism and put the old/new/POS ignition switch back in.  Can't return the switch because I had to splice the wires to work with my setup, FML...   Hard wired a toggle switch from the hot wire to my coil wire, and it works perfect.  Going to have to use this method for now.