News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got a project 70, now the fun/pain begins

Started by toocheaptosmoke, June 29, 2012, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 25, 2013, 11:48:26 AM

The ignition switch problem is driving me crazy! :RantExplode:  I bought another switch because it appeared that it wasn't putting enough power to the coil wire.  So, I got one from taiwan instead of mexcico, SAME DAMN THING!!!   No spark, lack of voltage to coil while cranking, and then the wheel lock mechanism started binding up for no reason and wouldn't let me take the key out!  I didn't start throwing wrenches, but I did rip out the locking mechanism and put the old/new/POS ignition switch back in.  Can't return the switch because I had to splice the wires to work with my setup, FML...   Hard wired a toggle switch from the hot wire to my coil wire, and it works perfect.  Going to have to use this method for now. 

.......note to self, get a model A style crank handle starter to avoid inflicting self harm  :o

remta1

So it looks like the one on the right is correct, just need to figure out what the other one is for.  :lol:

I think the other one could be an ignition / door buzzer relay? :shruggy:

toocheaptosmoke

Made some custom decals for my tool box.  :icon_smile_big:

So when I was getting ready to put the tank in the car I couldn't find those J bolts, I knew I had them but not where.  So, after a half hour of searching I found a box of some parts that came with the car.  No J bolts, but sumbich, found a bunch of parts I thought I needed and already bought.  :brickwall: :lol:  Door handles, washer nozzles, window cranks, and a couple pieces I don't know what they are.  :shruggy:

Needed a gasket for the gas cap, so found a random chunk of rubber and cut it up and glued it to the cap with RTV, we'll see if it holds up. 

Baldwinvette77

Nice decal, i'd buy one  :yesnod: so.... how much for those door handles and cranks?  :icon_smile_big:

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 28, 2013, 09:37:11 PM
Nice decal, i'd buy one  :yesnod: so.... how much for those door handles and cranks?  :icon_smile_big:

Tell you what man, cover the shipping and I"ll give you a couple cranks and a passenger door handle FREE if you want them.  :icon_smile_big:

Got the front brakes pretty much all in,

Rear brakes didn't go nearly as easy.  Junkyard axle was low mile but high rust, everything was seized up.

The dust shields were rotted out, at first I thought that was no big deal.  But, the 8.8 uses the dust shields as the backing plate for the e brake shoes.  So I had to make a partial backing plate to make the e brakes functional.

Finally got that crap done,

Test fitted the M.C. and because it's not stock the pedal sat up a bit high.   Shortened the push rod a bit and got it sitting better.

It's a really tight fit between the clutch push rod and the brake push rod, much grinding was required.

Got the prop valve in,

Baldwinvette77

send all the fulid pressure to the rear, should be awesome  :coolgleamA: nice brake setup, should be easy to get parts for too  :yesnod:

toocheaptosmoke

The belt routing is causing a problem.  Since the A/C compressor is gone I can't run the belt around the idler pulley or it will interfere with the water pump.  So, going to try running it w/o the idler pulley and hope there's enough wrap around the alternator to keep it from slipping.  Using a string to try and find a belt for this thing.

Since I already cut a hole in the floor, I put the CA emissions vent tower back in.

Filler neck is in

Went back and forth on where to mount the fuel pump.  Wanted to put it back by the tank, but couldn't find a good spot.  So, we'll try it mounted low on the front frame rail.

I always find ways to incorporate parts of snowmobiles into my builds, so I cut some aluminum for the radiator mounts.

Finn

Hey you still need armrests? I think I have a set. You can have them for shipping if I do still have them. Let me know!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Baldwinvette77

pretty radiator  :drool5:

also BITCHIN' Gimme them parts!  :drool5:

toocheaptosmoke

For the E brake I used as many stock explorer parts as I could, to keep costs down.   The cables were actually pretty close to being right on, but the stock plate thing needed modified.

Did a rough alignment with some aluminum window molding stuck on the rotor.

Driveshaft went in,

Ran into a problem with the hydraulic clutch, since the push rod wasn't adjustable.  There wasn't enough throw to fully disengage the clutch.   I tried to take it back out of the master cylinder but it wouldn't come out...  So I ended having to re-weld a post on the clutch pedal.  Still not perfect, but at least it works now.

Got the rad and hoses in.  Found a belt that fit after three trips to the parts store.   Power steering is working so far with no leaks, and the alternator is charging at 14.2 volts.  :icon_smile_big:

Got the wheels back on.  I think I'm going to have to find or make some lift shackles for this thing, so on occasion I can keep it looking like this,  :yesnod:

The finally, dropped it on the ground and drove it around the yard!! :cheers:

http://youtu.be/ImMFDtsFaOo

Baldwinvette77

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

remta1

nice sounds great in the video , well done :yesnod: :yesnod:

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

toocheaptosmoke

Was a good test run, nothing caught on fire or blew up.   Drove it right back into the carport and back on stands, now time to get into the home stretch and get her road worthy!   :icon_smile_big:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on August 05, 2013, 08:15:00 PM

Was a good test run, nothing caught on fire or blew up.   Drove it right back into the carport and back on stands, now time to get into the home stretch and get her road worthy!   :icon_smile_big:

Road worthy? What is this sorcery??? what can be more worthy of the open road than a beat up primed charger  :scratchchin:

toocheaptosmoke

The carb and timing is way off, it needs to be capable of laying down some rubber to officially be road worthy.   :nana:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on August 05, 2013, 08:40:47 PM
The carb and timing is way off, it needs to be capable of laying down some rubber to officially be road worthy.   :nana:

so, what are your plans for "finishing it? decided on a colour? or found any more wheels for it?  :popcrn:

toocheaptosmoke

Just minor details like lights, gauges, shocks, exhaust, undercoating, seat belts, and tuning.  No color choice yet, currently thinking about some fake rust. :lol:  Wheels are staying as long as they aren't bent or something, but a set of wide keystones or cragars would be sweet for the back.  :D 

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on August 05, 2013, 09:00:18 PM
Just minor details like lights, gauges, shocks, exhaust, undercoating, seat belts, and tuning.  No color choice yet, currently thinking about some fake rust. :lol:  Wheels are staying as long as they aren't bent or something, but a set of wide keystones or cragars would be sweet for the back.  :D 

Joe dirt would be proud  :cheers: for exhaust just bolt up some glass packs directly to the header collectors,that counts as an exhaust and is road legal (in most places), cost effective too  :drool5:

spoolinhard

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 28, 2013, 08:13:31 PM
Made some custom decals for my tool box.  :icon_smile_big:

So when I was getting ready to put the tank in the car I couldn't find those J bolts, I knew I had them but not where.  So, after a half hour of searching I found a box of some parts that came with the car.  No J bolts, but sumbich, found a bunch of parts I thought I needed and already bought.  :brickwall: :lol:  Door handles, washer nozzles, window cranks, and a couple pieces I don't know what they are.  :shruggy:

Needed a gasket for the gas cap, so found a random chunk of rubber and cut it up and glued it to the cap with RTV, we'll see if it holds up. 

The unidentified pieces are brackets that go in the headlight bucket area of the fenders. They are 70 only.

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: spoolinhard on August 05, 2013, 10:36:48 PM
The unidentified pieces are brackets that go in the headlight bucket area of the fenders. They are 70 only.

Awesome, thanks.  :2thumbs:

You don't know how much it's breaking my heart to NOT be putting glass packs on this thing...  The complete kit from summit was by far the most economical and time conscious thing to do, and it already has turbo mufflers.  We need to have an exhaust that fully exits outside of a passenger compartment, and since it will be getting regular plates (no classic) I have to pass the regular inspection.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on August 06, 2013, 08:36:40 PM
Quote from: spoolinhard on August 05, 2013, 10:36:48 PM

Awesome, thanks.  :2thumbs:

You don't know how much it's breaking my heart to NOT be putting glass packs on this thing...  The complete kit from summit was by far the most economical and time conscious thing to do, and it already has turbo mufflers.  We need to have an exhaust that fully exits outside of a passenger compartment, and since it will be getting regular plates (no classic) I have to pass the regular inspection.

The horror  :o , well as a tribute to you (and to mostly annoy the hell out of the neighbour who called the cops on me  :RantExplode: ) ill be bolting glasspacks straight to my headers since its legal here (its not really but ill likely be a licensed vehicle inspector before i get my car "road legal", Wink wink, nudge nudge  :D )

1ol72charger4me

Reading this was more fun than I've had for quite a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brings back the good ol' days when building cars was fun and not ulcer inducing expenditures of massive amounts of cash. I still remember driving to the junkyard to pick up my 375 horse Cadillac motor to replace the Olds 350 in my 64 Chevrolet SWB. When we pulled up ,it was hanging from one of those doityourself wreckerboom trucks and clear as a bell you could see the front dump oilpan that we hadn't figured on. My buddy goes, "Is that gonna fit?". I said, "Well hell no, but it will after we get done with it !". I had to buy a $75 Caddy Eldorado to make it fit. Which we did in his driveway!! Thanks you  for reminding me what the fun part of hot rodding is. On a side note, I hope your boss appreciates the fact that he has an ambitious, creative young man for an employee and compensates you well. Compared to the endless stream of know nothing, phone in hand ,spoiled brats that come looking for a job at our shop you deserve it. :2thumbs:  For that 70's look, put some speed decals in the 1/4 windows, fun fur on the package tray, chrome or white mudflaps, some bass boat metaflake paint "preferably with a USA flag theme" and you need to name your car and paint it on the 1/4 or deck lid. Something like REDHOT, RUSTY AND ROLLIN" to go with your Snapoff toolbox. In the 70's Snapon had a redhot and rolling sticker that was cool. Keep having fun and keep posting......