News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got a project 70, now the fun/pain begins

Started by toocheaptosmoke, June 29, 2012, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toocheaptosmoke

In the spirit of "measure once, cut twice,"  I decided to finally throw the carb on the intake, along with the aluminum adapter plate.  Things are looking too close for comfort, I don't think a regular air cleaner is going to work.  Looks like a high rise intake though.  :lol: There wasn't too many choices for a magnum series intake, I could have gone with a single plane mopar intake, but wanted a dual plane so the edelbrock/clones were pretty much the only choices.  :shruggy: If hoods weren't so expensive for these things I'd just get a spare and make a hood scoop or something.  :icon_smile_big:

Looks like the carb itself should clear the hood, but it doesn't leave much room for a filter.

Looks like the drivers side header is going to be a tight fit too,

Baldwinvette77

one of those tiny mesh triangle shaped edelbrock filters should work  :scratchchin: , as for the headers.... goodluck  :lol:

JB400

Headers are always a tight fit, but I say a regular air cleaner should fit.  Most of them have some sort of drop base built into them.  In addition, the hood doesn't have much bracing that you have to clear right there anyway.  You'll know more when you put the hood on.  It looks like you have about 4-5 in. clearance.

Thanks for the update :cheers: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

toocheaptosmoke

I tried one of the regular 14" round filters, and like you say, the base drops down quite a bit.  Problem is, it drops down too much and hits the carb in a couple places before seating.  I guess one of those triangle ones might work, but wonder how good the filter element is on them.  :shruggy:  I haven't tried it with the hood on yet, have to cross that bridge when we get there I guess.  :icon_smile_big:

At least some things are coming together at least half decent, put the PS pump on to check fitment.  It's off a van, looks like it was made to be there.  :coolgleamA:

Clutch master cylinder fits in nice, but the plastic line it a bit unwieldy to route.  Need to keep it clear of the exhaust.

Baldwinvette77

sounds like you get to chop up that round air cleaner... i hope  ::)

toocheaptosmoke

Got a good bit of the brake lines routed, just need to hook up the soft lines and weld a couple mounting tabs on.

Also worked on the front turn signals.  Stock replacements bring crazy money, so we couldn't have any of that. 

Found some 4" sewer and drain pipe, which fits into the valance nicely.

Chop it,

Got a couple NOS orange lights for 50 cents at a swap, not exactly the right size, but beggers can't be choosers.

Not perfect, but good enough for government work.  If someone manages to pick out the turn signals as the worst part of the car they have problems.  :lol:  Just need to get them mounted in valance, some scrap stainless steel provided the support for the light.  All told less than 5 bucks in everything, as compared to 100+ for a used set.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Baldwinvette77

NICE!!! what colour are you gonna paint the piping?  :popcrn:

toocheaptosmoke

I thought they were white to begin with?  :shruggy:

Started this mess,

Why didn't I read the directions before!?  The wiring won't be a PITA, it's going to be E-Z!!!  :slap:

Since being stock sucks, I had to start hogging out the carb adapter plate to better fit the massive secondaries on the Q-jet.  Should have done this when the intake was off, because it still needs a lot of massaging.  Oh well, something to do when the heads come off for porting or when a fresh engine goes in.  :D

Baldwinvette77

Looks great, I cant wait to wire up my car....... Pfffftthahahahaha... ha... no  :rofl:

Finn

Just finished the installing an E-Z harness in a 1963 savoy. It really is easy, and the "help" number they give you to call is like the cell phone of the guy that made the kit. He know's it inside and out.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

toocheaptosmoke

That's good to hear about the harness.  I think the worst part of going from scratch is not having any real starting point, need to pick an area and finish it then go from there.

Haven't been getting as much done lately as I would have liked.  Been doing side jobs to help keep the cash flow going for the car.  Working on rototillers, mowers, atv's, golf carts, etc.  Here's a couple of old troy bilts, they don't build 'em like they used to.  :2thumbs:

Got the exhaust from Summit, I was going to build my own system with a single 3" but I couldn't come close to building a system from scratch for what the kit cost.  It's 2.5" mandrel bent, comes with all hardware and mufflers, best part is made in USA!    Only bad part is I really had my heart set on a some glasspacks, but since the kit already came with turbo's I guess I can try them for now and save a few bucks.  :shruggy:  Put glasspacks on almost everything I drive.  :D  http://youtu.be/VK0sarLb4yQ

Put the pedals back in, and found out that it's not nearly as easy when the steering column and seat is back in place.  Had to contort into positions that would have made a gymnast jealous!  Got the bolt in only to find that it had "trapped" the 9/16" wrench in place, can't get it out unless I take the bolt out again.  :lol:   Somebody remind me to get that wrench before the build is over...

Was going to try and install the headers, but with all the rain things are flooding...

Started getting the gauges together since it was raining out.   Looks like I have a 68-69 dash?  There's a vacuum switch that I assume is for the old style headlights.

Baldwinvette77

are you sure its just not the boxes that are "made is usa"  :D

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 29, 2013, 06:39:35 AM

I hope not, if that was the case they could even be like my gas tank and made in, *shudder* Canada!  :nana: :icon_smile_wink:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on June 29, 2013, 06:53:39 AM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 29, 2013, 06:39:35 AM

I hope not, if that was the case they could even be like my gas tank and made in, *shudder* Canada!  :nana: :icon_smile_wink:

:D

toocheaptosmoke

Got the headers in!   Wish I would have realized the drag link went through the headers before I installed it.  :slap:

This is why we can't have anything nice, mothaf#$%ing mud wasps!!! :flame:  I swear those bastages will fill stuff within a day of being left outside...

Then the radiator arrived in the mail.  This is the second Champion aluminum radiator I've had, and I must say that I'm impressed with how good they seem to be for the price, $150 shipped.

Took a load of scrap in on saturday, which payed for a good portion of the radiator.  :cheers:

1974dodgecharger

is that HOOKER HEADERS?  man those are such a pain to change plugs on in my 383

Baldwinvette77

Nice! those headers must be good for 2-5 extra horses  :2thumbs: hope it was worth it  :D

toocheaptosmoke

Yup, Hooker Comp. headers.  I'm going to try a couple of plug wires with 45 degree boots to clear that pipe, there isn't much room.  I can see how changing them might be a bit tricky.  :lol: The rest of the plugs are pretty easily accessed though. 

I hope they're worth it, lost a bit of ground clearance too.  I'm sure there will be some dent repair done in the future from rocks and such. 

toocheaptosmoke

Worked on getting the instruments together, always wanted white faced gauges.  :2thumbs:  I used the 2-1/16" small gauges and the 3-3/8" large ones.  As you can see, there's 3 different brands represented.  :eek2:   Had to paint the chrome on the tach black to fit in with the others.

Had to cut up the bezel plate to fit things, and then grind the sides of the little gauges.

Couldn't use the standard retainers, had to cut some up and use hose clamps.  Nobody will ever see it...  :angel:

Used a snowmobile retainer for the speedo

Little bit of paint

Baldwinvette77

You have inspired me  :2thumbs: in true hotrod fashion i too will use whatever gauges i have laying around autometer, autogage, sunpro, equuss, and whatever else i can easily stea.... er i mean acquire*  :coolgleamA:

toocheaptosmoke

If the gauge fits, use it.  :2thumbs:

The starter just barely hit the one pipe,

So a little clearancing of the starter was required

Also while it was raining, I picked up a couple LED's for $1.25 a piece that I used to convert my turn signal delete plates. 

jaak

I've been following this thread, but haven't posted yet.
The LED's in the hood signal deletes is a GREAT idea, and looks great.  :2thumbs:

Keep it up,
Jason

Baldwinvette77

turn signal delete plates?  :scratchchin: i think ill just weld the openings shut  :icon_smile_big: