News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Optima battery or Restoration battery fits and works best for my 73 400?

Started by WH23G3G, July 17, 2012, 08:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm going to get a new battery for my 73 Charger. I'm going with an Optima or restoration battery from Summit. Do you'll recommend any over the other? I just want a battery that's going to last and have enough cranking amps.

Chryco Psycho

In a daily driver an Optima Red Top will last 13+ years but it cannot sit & discharge , best battery I have ever owned but if you leave them sitting they will die so swap it into your daily in the winter when the charger sits

WH23G3G

I dont know if this motor is higher compression than the original 8.2:1 but I imagine it must be. It's bored .040 over with flat top pistons and that's the only alteration to stock that I know. That's how the motor was when I got it. I just did a re-ring, bearings, and rebuilt stock heads, and stock replacement cam. Will this red top Optima have enough cranking power so that it won't die after a couple of cranks? The parts store battery I have is a 27 series with 1020 cranking amps and 850 cold cranking amps but it's been cranked so many times while trying to get the engine tuned and sitting for weeks at a time. Is the Optima still the best way to go?

Chryco Psycho

doctorpimp

I've had a red top Optima for 4 years, trunk mounted with 00 gauge cables on a 10.5:1 compression big block.
It's 800 cca and it always has enough power to start the engine (I had a problem on hot start, but it was the ground cable, not battery...)
I drive usually just once a week in the summer and it always starts.  I remove the battery in winter and keep it trickle-charged.

Best battery I have ever had!!
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Lennard

Optima Red tops are really good, I bought one in 2005 and it's still going strong.