News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WOW, '70 4 speed R/T w/6 pack goes for $22K...is this where price heading??

Started by AKcharger, June 28, 2012, 05:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Original paint, nice shape with replacement engine and 6 pack, closed for $22K sure points to prices falling steeply. Heck, I would have bought it for that! Interesting to note there are still cars upwards of $40K...but no one is bidding

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=120936246811&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Troy

It does seem low but it's not that nice either. Trunk is rusty, the undercoating in the quarters is mangled from either rust or prior work, the door pads are separating, and the passenger side has big dents. That's just what I can see from the crummy pictures. From a numbers perspective it was a 4bbl car originally - but the Six Pack is a nice addition. Even a 4-speed Track Pack car gets dinged a little just because it's a 70 and - even though I like the color - it's brown to most people.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

vancamp

Price seems a bit low to me, it does have some issues but still seems a bit on the low side i would have thought $25-$27,000

Budnicks

It wasn't a true 70 440 Six Pack car either, although the extra $2500 spent on the set-up should be reflected in the price, no harm no foul, it was a 440 4bbl car originally, but that does seem low, even for a car that's not perfect, but very drivable quality or presentable... Soft Market Lately
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

69charger2002

Quote from: AKcharger on June 28, 2012, 05:05:57 PM
Original paint, nice shape with replacement engine and 6 pack, closed for $22K sure points to prices falling steeply. Heck, I would have bought it for that! Interesting to note there are still cars upwards of $40K...but no one is bidding

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=120936246811&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Well if you want it, the car is still available! I was high bidder yesterday on this charger. This is the car i was referring to in my other post that i needed someone to check out a car for me. It is a pretty nice car, but does need some restoration. I decided to pass on the car based on a visual inpection by 2 awesome members here(Moparmendy). The seller was a very nice guy I have to say.. I don't know if he plans on relisting it or not, probably so. I love the rarity of it, but i wasn't looking for a partial project. From what i'm told, it has 100 dings in it, some various issues that need to be addressed, but would make a good daily driver type car.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

1974dodgecharger

cheap for a 4 speed, but now I can guage (I guess) for a 20k car and what to expect even more or less in the future purchase of a 68

Ram07

I'm curious....what kind of issues?
To me, if something like that came my way...I'd be a happy camper!
What is wrong with it?

1970Moparmann

I just saw that today also.  Was really surprised!!!  Even with the little thinks I saw on the car, I would have expected a little more money.  Maybe the seller had no clue, and the buyer made out.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

69charger2002

i thought i made out, i was stoked when i bought it. The issues are not horrendous, it has lots of dings(the ones visible on that passenger quarter are very bad). i was told there is some bubbling under vinyl top, not terrible. some scale on bottoms of doors, underneath of trunk lip, and the scale on the trunk floor. also the grill has had some haphazard repairs done. for what it is, i think its probably still worth close to $22000, i don't think it was a $30,000 steal for $22,000 however. The search continues i am looking for one more NICE car to keep, preferably a 68-69.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 69charger2002 on June 28, 2012, 07:07:05 PM
i thought i made out, i was stoked when i bought it. The issues are not horrendous, it has lots of dings(the ones visible on that passenger quarter are very bad). i was told there is some bubbling under vinyl top, not terrible. some scale on bottoms of doors, underneath of trunk lip, and the scale on the trunk floor. also the grill has had some haphazard repairs done. for what it is, i think its probably still worth close to $22000, i don't think it was a $30,000 steal for $22,000 however. The search continues i am looking for one more NICE car to keep, preferably a 68-69.

Seen this one multiple times on the bag over the past 6 months. From your description sound slike a $20+k car that needs to be torn down to boxes to restore.

On another note i believe its Hemi hampton (Leon) that has an original paint 70 r/t i want to say the same color for around the same money. Its a california car if i recall.

Mytur Binsdirti

AKcharger

Quote from: 69charger2002 on June 28, 2012, 07:07:05 PM

Ah, the "Paul Harvey" from my brief skim of the ad it sounded like it was pretty much "done" sans the upper door panels. If it still has work I'll keep mine. Still have a lot of miles left on it before i have to tear it back down

Thanks for the update!

RallyeMike

QuoteWell if you want it, the car is still available! I was high bidder yesterday on this charger.

How do you back out when you are the winning bidder?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

69charger2002

well when you find more issues than expected and you have a very nice seller who was understanding about my concerns, you agree to not complete the transaction. i did give him $100 for his time and ebay fees so he can relist.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: 69charger2002 on June 28, 2012, 10:44:37 PM
well when you find more issues than expected and you have a very nice seller who was understanding about my concerns, you agree to not complete the transaction. i did give him $100 for his time and ebay fees so he can relist.

Classy of you and him; so many ebay sellers are drama queens who want to burn you over a feedback rating.  Good on you.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

RallyeMike

Quotewell when you find more issues than expected and you have a very nice seller who was understanding about my concerns, you agree to not complete the transaction. i did give him $100 for his time and ebay fees so he can relist.

I have not seen the car, but there is a big distance between "more issues than expected" and misrepresented. "Rust and dings" = paint job, whether it 10 dings or 50, yer in for a paint job. Had he insisted, you would have completed the purchase?

I'd say that you were lucky that you had a reasonable seller (reasonable seller AND buyer = refreshing change!).
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I was watching this one close since it reminds me of my own car. I think it should of got more myself. If I remember right description did say mostly original paint (lower 1/4's spotted) If you got a original paint job you can expect door dings, scratches, chips, nicks, burned edges ect. If a original paint job don't have these problems on a old 40+ year old car then you have a Perfect car stored in a time capsule & belonging in a Museum & $100k+ car. Like Cora's 66 Hemi & others like it, ect. Guess only way to sell mine now is to paint it. Could never sell with door dings, ect. LEON. :scratchchin:

Mike DC

I'd rather buy a car with original paint and some dings than fresh paint.  Just my opinion. 

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 29, 2012, 12:56:07 AM

I'd rather buy a car with original paint and some dings than fresh paint.  Just my opinion. 

:iagree:

With original paint what you see is what you get, after a respray it's all guess work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69charger2002

Quote from: RallyeMike on June 28, 2012, 11:58:03 PM
Quotewell when you find more issues than expected and you have a very nice seller who was understanding about my concerns, you agree to not complete the transaction. i did give him $100 for his time and ebay fees so he can relist.

I have not seen the car, but there is a big distance between "more issues than expected" and misrepresented. "Rust and dings" = paint job, whether it 10 dings or 50, yer in for a paint job. Had he insisted, you would have completed the purchase?

I'd say that you were lucky that you had a reasonable seller (reasonable seller AND buyer = refreshing change!).

I was trying to be nice by saying more issues than expected. Would you consider it "misrepresented" if the issues found were not listed? The only negative thing listed about the entire car in it's current state was upper door pads needing replaced(no big deal)and the six pack not being tuned perfectly(no big deal)... There were enough issues that if i had been pushed to follow through, i would have taken the - feedback and he could have kept my $500 deposit. So no i would not have completed the purchase after i had it inspected. I didn't want to blast the car on here, as i'm not going to do that about someone else's car on a public forum for no reason.. If someone else is interested in the car seriously, they can PM me for all the details that i was given. He was a very nice seller, and i am sure he will eventually sell the car. I have never flaked on a car on ebay before.. and it is partially my fault for not having it inspected before bidding. Truthfully as the heading of the topic shows, i didn't really expect to win it for $22,300 given the description of the car.. but working 2 jobs and not being able to fly there for 2 weeks(he wanted the car paid for in 7 days) i had to get it checked out fast so i could overnight the money and have it shipped.

69charger2002

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 29, 2012, 12:25:03 AM
Yeah, I was watching this one close since it reminds me of my own car. I think it should of got more myself. If I remember right description did say mostly original paint (lower 1/4's spotted) If you got a original paint job you can expect door dings, scratches, chips, nicks, burned edges ect. If a original paint job don't have these problems on a old 40+ year old car then you have a Perfect car stored in a time capsule & belonging in a Museum & $100k+ car. Like Cora's 66 Hemi & others like it, ect. Guess only way to sell mine now is to paint it. Could never sell with door dings, ect. LEON. :scratchchin:

Sensing a bit of sarcasm there.. but i will say it was much more than door dings for me to walk away from the car. I've had almost 150 68-70 chargers... pretty much owned all ends of the spectrum as far as condition. I'm not so shallow or nieve to think a 40 year old car with mostly(this car was more like 60-70%) original paint would not have door dings, chips, scratches etc. This was plenty more than that rest assured. I'm not going to blow the car apart on here. Someone may be perfectly happy with it for $22k,  maybe even 25k... to each his own.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 29, 2012, 12:56:07 AM

I'd rather buy a car with original paint and some dings than fresh paint.  Just my opinion.  

I have one and can't wait to get it painted.  :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

Every thing is a matter of opinion, I'm sure some would like it for $22k, Some may view it & say it's worth $32k, some may view & say it's only worth $12k. Everybody's opinion & expectations vary greatly from what I learned in 25+ years of restoring cars. LEON.