News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Widest tire that will fit the rear 1970 Charger

Started by ducky13, February 20, 2006, 04:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducky13

I was wondering, how wide of a wheel and tire would fit the rear of the 70 Charger?  I would like to get 15X9 or 15X10 Keystone Klassics, but I am not sure what size. 

This may sound stupid, but when people refer to back spacing on wheels, are they referring to distance from where the wheel meets the drum to the inside edge of the wheel?  If that is the case, then it could be assumed that the reaminder of the width of the wheel will extend outward toward the fender or quarterpanel.  Of course, one must also take into account the tires that, when inflated, extend beyond the edge of the wheel. 

Does that make sense?

Mefirst

This topic has been discussed several times, use the button...

Well anyways. 10" rim with 5" of backspacing will fit a 295/50 tire really nicely using stock springs, some have even squeezed in 325/50 wide tires.. I have SS rear springs and run 325/50 Racemaster Drag Radials, with the 10" and 5" backspacing rim, perfect fit...

/Tom :drive:

Chryco Psycho

305 50 15 fits easily on a 8.5" rim it will also fit on a 10 " rim IF the offset is perfect

Johnny SixPack

I have 295/50/15's on my "69, but I'm also using 1" lowering blocks and have rub on the inner fender wells (trunk side).

Not bad, but enough that under compression (like entering/exiting parking lots with dips/lifts) the tires rub.

I have not checked the BS, since the rims and tires are both going to be replaced in the future, but just thought I'd throw in the bit about ride height effecting the final calculations.

I also noticed that the rub occures more often now that I have added subframe connectors (since the body no longer twists, and the suspension now takes up the slack).

Just some additional info.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

4forty

15x10 magnums w/295/50's on my stock height '68. same as formula440, a little rubbing when entering driveways/lots on inner fender well (trunk side), I can live with it.

dkn1997

learn it...know it.....live it.....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6218.0.html

you can basically get anything smaller than an aircraft carrier into the back of a 2nd gen with NO mods whatsoever.

I cannot see why anyone would need to go bigger unless they were prostreeting the car or dragracing.
RECHRGED