News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bought another rusty bondoed up Charger project

Started by kikgas01, June 26, 2012, 10:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usually the "Not in service" signs in the window work.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

hatersaurusrex

In TN it's illegal to have not only light bars and/or markings like a cop car, but even if you have a blue LED strobe on your dash for decoration you can get a ticket or even be taken to jail depending on the cop's mood.  At least that's how it was back when I was in high school right when the 'crappy import lowrider' trend started to kick in.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

cdr

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on July 04, 2012, 02:04:21 PM
In TN it's illegal to have not only light bars and/or markings like a cop car, but even if you have a blue LED strobe on your dash for decoration you can get a ticket or even be taken to jail depending on the cop's mood.  At least that's how it was back when I was in high school right when the 'crappy import lowrider' trend started to kick in.
that way in TEXAS
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

kikgas01

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 04, 2012, 09:59:17 AM
QuoteWould you pull over if a 30 year car was trying to stop you.

You'd be surprised how many people don't notice the age of the car and just notice that it's a cop.  My own girlfriend wouldn't have noticed the difference before she knew me. 

More than one guy driving a 30yo "Hazzard County PD" car has gotten hassled by a cop for illegally impersonating a police vehicle. Some cops are cool with it but others act like you're doing something seriously wrong.

I usually put my "Janesville First Responders" magnet on the trunk, but no, never been bothered.....yet. Usually I`m following my General too. I have never been bothered by the plates on them as well.

kikgas01

I however have changed most of my stickers to magnets and want to do a quick disconnect for the light bar. I do however have a permit for white strobes, lightbar and so on being a First responder.

Bobs69

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 04, 2012, 09:59:17 AM
QuoteWould you pull over if a 30 year car was trying to stop you.

You'd be surprised how many people don't notice the age of the car and just notice that it's a cop.  My own girlfriend wouldn't have noticed the difference before she knew me. 

More than one guy driving a 30yo "Hazzard County PD" car has gotten hassled by a cop for illegally impersonating a police vehicle. Some cops are cool with it but others act like you're doing something seriously wrong.

I remember reading in the Kingston (Ontario, Canada) paper a few years back about a local guy who had a "Blues Brothers" replica, or maybe the real one who knows.  Anyhow, they made him take the light bar off.  Quite a big write up about it too, might even have been a colour photo with the owner leaning on his car.  Too bad tho.  You would think that it's obvious to everyone it's not a regular cop car.  I would think it's a fun thing to have around town, almost an attraction, and everyone is going to know who owns it.  So obviously if anyone ever complained about getting pulled over by someone impersonating a cop in said car you could expect a visit.

Indygenerallee

I just bought a 2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (91,000 miles) Ex Sheriff car still had the decals when I got it (I did take them off) It's the two tone tan and brown, it's not illegal to have the cop car colors here in Indiana, but man people do slow down when driving it!!!  :lol: :smilielol: Also it's a damn nice car!! 17's, HD suspension, 3.27 rear gear, 4.6 It straight shit's and get's!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

myk

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 23, 2012, 09:00:56 PM
I just bought a 2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (91,000 miles) Ex Sheriff car still had the decals when I got it (I did take them off) It's the two tone tan and brown, it's not illegal to have the cop car colors here in Indiana, but man people do slow down when driving it!!!  :lol: :smilielol: Also it's a damn nice car!! 17's, HD suspension, 3.27 rear gear, 4.6 It straight shit's and get's!!!

Awesome.  Those cars are tank-tough, too.  They'll outlast most of human civilization...

ACUDANUT

It will outlast a new Charger.  However, remember...We hardly ever shut those engines off due to the computer inside that we play with and the heat.  91K could really mean 300K worth of hours.

ac_knight

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 23, 2012, 09:00:56 PM

Well I don't want to start anything on this, but I think you need to know the law in Indiana, and it states:

IC 5-22-22-9
Disposal of law enforcement vehicles
     Sec. 9. (a) If a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is a model year of 1994 or after and is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color by transferring the vehicle to:
        (1) a person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
            (A) a monochrome color scheme; or
            (B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;
        before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana;
        (2) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
            (A) a monochrome color scheme; or
            (B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;
        before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person to be operated on a public highway in Indiana;
        (3) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will not operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the

other person; or
        (4) another governmental body, the governmental body is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana.
    (b) Before a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color, the purchasing agency must provide a copy of this subsection to the prospective purchaser of the vehicle.
    (c) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction.

So that first part says you must repaint it, so it is against the law.  As far as still having the decals on it when you bought it, now that is just plain stupidity from the department.  When disposing of a used police vehicle it is the responsibility of the department to remove any identifiers to makes absolutely sure it cannot be mistaken or used to impersonate a police officer.