News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

air bags on a 2nd gen?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, July 12, 2012, 04:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Curious if anyone has air bag recommendations for a 2nd gen? I ask because it be nice to raise or lower it if one is going over speed bumps.

bull

1974dodgecharger

thx bull..seems no one likes them, but yet it seems to me all these so called touring cars that we all love are air bagged?

I want a little tire lip tucked into the rear end and it seems thats the only way to do it....oh well.

seems too much work also for what its worth.

http://youtu.be/pPj0zbIizmA

bill440rt

Don't give up hope, there are other options.

You could have your leaf springs re-arched.  :yesnod:

If I recall there was a company out that was selling front leaf spring mounts that had an offset spring mount hole, that enabled you to mount it in a lower position thus lowering the car. The company's name escapes me right now, but I think they advertised in Mopar Muscle??  :scratchchin:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Didn't Petty once endorse Air Lift brand?

chargerboy69

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 13, 2012, 12:35:10 AM
thx bull..seems no one likes them, but yet it seems to me all these so called touring cars that we all love are air bagged?

I want a little tire lip tucked into the rear end and it seems thats the only way to do it....oh well.

seems too much work also for what its worth.

http://youtu.be/pPj0zbIizmA

I know Mike (Mr. Angry) and myself with lowered cars are not using air bags.

We both cranked down the torsion bars in the front and threw a pair of lowering blocks in the rear.  Mike runs a 2" lowering block last I knew, and I run a 1 1/2" block.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370627360586
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

Any handling issues when the torsion bars are cranked into the weeds like that?

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ghoste on July 13, 2012, 07:37:37 AM
Any handling issues when the torsion bars are cranked into the weeds like that?

Nope. . not for me.  I think Mike has his lowered a pinch more than I do so I can not speak for him.  But the way he drove it on Bullrun, he did not look like he had any problems.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

Mmm, yes, forgot about the Bull Run stuff.  That would certainly be a crucible wouldn't it?

c00nhunterjoe

You can use the pst bars up front and lowering blocks in the rear. The pst bars are heavy and you can load them properly for handling and still be 2 inches lower then stock

WHITE AND RED 69

Check out Ridetech

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1968-1970-mopar-b-body-level-2.html

Or go the cheaper route and get 2" drop spindles and crank the torsion bars down. And pre lowered leaf springs with lowering blocks.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Mike DC

If you use drop spindles then you need to look at the bumpstop height.  
(Yeah, I know most guys running drop spindles don't bother.  That doesn't prove they aren't taking a bad risk.)

The factory bumpstop height was set so that you could bottom-out all 4 corners of the car, with all 4 tires flat, and the bumpstops will interfere just before the frame of the car hits the pavement.

And remember the height that is safe is also affected by larger non-stock wheel rims.