News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

auto v's 4 speed

Started by polywideblock, December 09, 2012, 09:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

hi, just wondering why  the 4 speed is such a rare breed! e.g 32 r/t chargers made in 71 with 4 speed ,thousands made with auto. here in australia its the other way around our muscle cars came standard with 4 speed, auto was option.an auto slr 5000  torana , gts monaro or falcon gt is a rare sight! just seems strange phil

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Rolling_Thunder

My guess was when these cars were made - they were "family" cars...     I bet most men who bought these were married and the wife needed to be able to drive them as well.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

F8-4life

Also by 1971 an RT charger was very much a upscale muscle car with many options aval.. look at the roadrunners and Im sure you will see more stick cars. Maybe the charger buyers had more class and were looking for other stuff besides having to constantly shift?

polywideblock

hi ,if you "google" bathurst australia  ,"mont panorama",you'll  see that most of our "muscle cars" were in fact 4 door "family" sedans . please note i'm not trying to insult ANYBODY!! i just thought it strange that there wern't more "row your own "muscle cars built during heyday of muscle cars!thanks phil

Homerr

Isn't a lot of it the drag race culture then and going for consistency?

Traffic is another common gripe about going to an auto.

XH29N0G

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 09, 2012, 10:25:21 PM
My guess was when these cars were made - they were "family" cars...     I bet most men who bought these were married and the wife needed to be able to drive them as well.

My 70 was bought as a family car - Neither, but strange enough my dad always said he ordered a 3 speed on the floor and bigger tires for better gass mileage.  Bench seat for the kids and little straps in the back to hold us in for safety. :lol:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Cooter

The automatic was a higher optioned car. The manual trans was considered not worth as much because of the same ol same ol. Don't like driving/shifting manual, can't drive manual, too mnay wear parts, etc.

Today however, it would seem the opposite. While the 4-speed cars were ordered/accepted atthe dealer less than automatics, they tend to be the "Rare" ones in the older musclecar hobby today.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

When I was selling cars, automatic and air conditioning were the two options that pretty much paid for themselves at trade in time.  They added to the trade nearly what you paid up front.

polywideblock

so i'm guessing that 4 speed +air would be a rare animal!

Ghoste

Very rare and not available with certain engine/four speed combinations at all (Hemi and 440 for example)

Cooter

Kinda like a Convert. with A/C.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"