News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ready to drive the C500 to Wing car meet

Started by moparchris, June 19, 2012, 06:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparchris

Well it looks like I have finally gotten all my eggs in one basket for the first time in many years and am getting ready to head out in the 500 for Colorado Springs.  The last time the 500 hit the highway for a car show was for a musclecar meet in Bakersfield Ca. in 1989.  It's about 800 miles one way door to door to colorado springs so I'm sure by the time we get there our butts will be sore!!
I will be traveling on I-40 East and then taking I-25 north.  If anyone from Ca. or Az. are driving there cars let me know.  I have multiple sets of points and numerous spare parts incase I have to do any road-side repairs.
What's funny is I own a 22' enclosed trailer with my buddy but he is going to an NCRS show in his 65 fuelie 'Vette and instead of trying to get another trailer for one of us to use, I just said screw it,  I'll drive.  How many times will I have the chance to drive a hemi-4speed car this far the rest of my life?

See you guys there!! :cheers:

RallyeMike

The kind of trip that dreams are made of. Enjoy the ride!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Dino

It's all about the trip.  Have a blast!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi68charger

WooHooo !!!!  Chris, you should have a lot of fun............ Wish I had countless dollars and didn't have to work, for I'd be there too..  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparchris

Troy,  I'm surprised your not going!  It's so infrequent that these meets are in our part of the country.  That's the main reasong I am going.  If they have them in the West, every twenty years or so I'll, be just about 70 years old.  I probably won't even own the cars by then, so what the hell....
By the way, as a high school guidance counselor, I wouldn't know what unlimited funds are like either  :icon_smile_big:

tan top

sounds like an awesome adventure  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  great stuff , looking forward to hearing  road trip storys along the way & pictures   :yesnod: :popcrn: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparchris on June 19, 2012, 07:04:31 PM
Troy,  I'm surprised your not going!  It's so infrequent that these meets are in our part of the country.  That's the main reasong I am going.  If they have them in the West, every twenty years or so I'll, be just about 70 years old.  I probably won't even own the cars by then, so what the hell....
By the way, as a high school guidance counselor, I wouldn't know what unlimited funds are like either  :icon_smile_big:

The distance is pretty much that of me going to Indy.. Texas is a big state and I live at the other end. Wouldn't be right to leave Kim here, again, watching over my Stage-7 Dementia mother who we care for here at the house... But, believe me, I would love to go....  I'm working on something with Texas Motor Speedway now....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Ghoste

Looking forward to hearing about the road trip when you get back.  It should be a memorable one for sure.

Bob T

1600 miles in a Hemi 4speed 500, opportunities like that just dont come up, you could just about sell tickets for it

English Kiwi John H took his Daytona over for a reunion a few years ago and drove the wheels off it, I throughly applaud him for it.

Have a great trip and put some pics up when you can.

:cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

WINGR

Quote from: moparchris on June 19, 2012, 06:08:13 PM
Well it looks like I have finally gotten all my eggs in one basket for the first time in many years and am getting ready to head out in the 500 for Colorado Springs.  The last time the 500 hit the highway for a car show was for a musclecar meet in Bakersfield Ca. in 1989.  It's about 800 miles one way door to door to colorado springs so I'm sure by the time we get there our butts will be sore!!
I will be traveling on I-40 East and then taking I-25 north.  If anyone from Ca. or Az. are driving there cars let me know.  I have multiple sets of points and numerous spare parts incase I have to do any road-side repairs.
What's funny is I own a 22' enclosed trailer with my buddy but he is going to an NCRS show in his 65 fuelie 'Vette and instead of trying to get another trailer for one of us to use, I just said screw it,  I'll drive.  How many times will I have the chance to drive a hemi-4speed car this far the rest of my life?

See you guys there!! :cheers:

Hope you have a great time out there Chris, you and the C500 deserve it. Enjoy  :2thumbs:

WINGR/Steve

C500

Good on ya Chris  :cheers: What a sweet trip that will be. Take lots of snaps  :drive:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Highbanked Hauler

I am sure you guys are WAY ahead of me  BUT make sure the vent on the rear end is clear because at 80 mph. for hours on end the rear gear gets hot and can push oil out the seals..  It happened to me first time out. :yesnod:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Bob T on June 22, 2012, 04:30:29 AM
1600 miles in a Hemi 4speed 500, opportunities like that just dont come up, you could just about sell tickets for it

:cheers:

So... less airline tickets, hotels and meals... what exactly is the bidding start for that ride?   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

You will Shirley be a hero of the wing world for the yr 2012 (FWTW).

moparchris

I posted some pic's on the meet link, but here are a couple from behind the wheel during the trip.  I wish there was sound, but just try to remember the sound of the Charger in Bullitt and you'll get the idea :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Awesome to think there's 2 4bbls under that hood feeding those cubic inches of Mopar muscle........
Troy

moparchris

And those 2- 4bbls, are miserly!!!  Actually the car got decent mileage.  Just about 2,000 miles and the total gas bill was $472.00.  I don't find that objectionable for the pleasure of the journey.  You can actually feel the detent in the linkage before the front AFB kicks in.  Just a tick above 70 m.p.h.  I tried to keep the speed around 65 give or take...

69_500

I met Bob about 7 years ago at a show out in Vegas. Very nice guy. He sent me quite a few pics of his C500 as well as his other cars. Very nice guy. I kind of like the F6 on the 500, even if its not right.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: moparchris on June 28, 2012, 07:33:53 PM
And those 2- 4bbls, are miserly!!!  Actually the car got decent mileage.  Just about 2,000 miles and the total gas bill was $472.00.  I don't find that objectionable for the pleasure of the journey.  You can actually feel the detent in the linkage before the front AFB kicks in.  Just a tick above 70 m.p.h.  I tried to keep the speed around 65 give or take...

~13 mpg

Not bad at all for
close to 4000lbs
426 cubes being fed by TWO four barrel carbs
and NO overdive.

Highbanked Hauler

WOW :o my 500 with a 440 and a 4617 carter runs 13.5 all day long if you don't lean on it.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Kismgby

So...now that you've "broke the seal"....when's the NEXT road trip? 
It can get addicting.....

:drive:

moparchris

I don't really know about anymore trips for a while.  I don't invision any big shows being in the west for at least several years.  We have a state-wide road rallye for pre-1971 cars here in Arizona called the Copperstate Rallye.  It is really a big deal as many fine cars ( Ferrarri, Aston-Marting, Corvetttes, Shelby's to name a few) annually participate.  I don't think anyone enteres with a Mopar so I would love to crash the party and show the exotic car crowd what a Hemi Charger can do, but it is always in the spring when our weather is beautiful and being a public school teacher I really can't take 10 days off in the middle of spring semester.  It may have to wait for retirement :'(

moparstuart

Quote from: moparchris on July 09, 2012, 03:00:54 PM
I don't really know about anymore trips for a while.  I don't invision any big shows being in the west for at least several years.  We have a state-wide road rallye for pre-1971 cars here in Arizona called the Copperstate Rallye.  It is really a big deal as many fine cars ( Ferrarri, Aston-Marting, Corvetttes, Shelby's to name a few) annually participate.  I don't think anyone enteres with a Mopar so I would love to crash the party and show the exotic car crowd what a Hemi Charger can do, but it is always in the spring when our weather is beautiful and being a public school teacher I really can't take 10 days off in the middle of spring semester.  It may have to wait for retirement :'(
chris do you know my buddy Robert Fuller ,he has a Beautiful 69 hemi Road Runner in B-5 .  He from your area . His car and resto are features in Hemming Muscle machines this month .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE