News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Head gasket doesn't seem to match coolant hole in engine block. Opinions?

Started by Supercharged Riot, June 16, 2012, 06:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supercharged Riot

I was working on my block in class and my teach and I couldn't figure out why there were low spots on the engine block next to the coolant holes are at...

Well...today I took a look at my cylinder heads that apparently still had the head gaskets attached.
I couldn't believe how restricted the coolant flow was.

The openings of the head gaskets do not match!
This can't be normal

I looked up some articles on the web and some 383 blocks show different coolant holes than mine
And they actually seem more compatible with most head gaskets out there.

Anyone ever notice this?
Is there a fix for this? Like grind bigger holes in my engine block?

I havent seen another head gaskets that has different coolant openings other than the ones that are already on my engine

FLG

Supposed to be that way, the later blocks used the peanut shaped coolant passages. The head gaskets are slit to allow the correct flow through, if they were any larger chances are the coolant wouldnt sit in the head long enough to absorb the heat and/or would move through the radiator too quickly to  be cooled.

If proper care is taken with the coolant system you will be fine, yearly flushes and correct ratio levels.

ChgrSteve67

FLG is correct.

I went throught the same thing and had the same question. It dosen't seem correct but it is.

Cooter

Yep, Hadda buddy on another forum thinking if he opened those up his overheating problem would go away. It got ALOT worse. Had to pull heads and reinstall new head gaskets.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Supercharged Riot

WOW really? The big coolant hole is totally offset from the thin passage of the head gasket makes it look totally wrong..
But if that's normal. i guess...

Thanks for confirming guys