News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Laboratory for Electronics (LFE) Signal Light Restoration

Started by ChgrSteve67, June 16, 2012, 07:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

I started working on restoring the traffic light my wife found at a swap meet a few months back. Made some good
progress and called it a day when it got about 105 outside. Perfect weather for painting but since I'm really at
the cleanning and sanding stage its not really great weather.

So here are some pics of my progress.

back side

Front side. I took out the colored lenses a week or so ago and put them in a safe location.

Back side of the light fixtures

Disasembly pretty much complete

I got one of the three boxes cleaned up and primered. Just too hot to do any more work for the day.

I didn't take any pictures of taking apart and cleaning the light fixtures and reflectors but I sanded each of

the frames and painted them a hammered grey then polished the reflectors. One was stained pretty bad in one section but will still reflect light really well. Here is one of them all clean and shinney.

I will work on the others this week and hopefully I will get each of the housings painted next weekend.

-Steve

twodko

That's a lot of progress on a hundred plus day Steve! Sweltering too in Seb. Are you to staying with 120v (were they 220?) or switch to low voltage LEDS? Where's it going to live? Can't wait to see it done!  :popcrn:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ChgrSteve67

I think I'm going to stay with a 120v system and use 60 or 75 watt bulbs. It had 165 watt bulbs in it. I think I can just use a inverter if I want to run it off a 12v source. There are several controllers you can by on the net that will easily mount inside and comes with a power chord.

Not sure where its going to go yet.

I have a street sign that says 1967 Dodge Charger Dr I would like to incorporate into the sign. Some have suggested taking it to car shows but I think the size and weight will not make that an easy task. I will probably go in my living room by my old Standard Oil can and brass fire extinguisher.  Some day the wife might let me do a automotive and gas theme in the kitchen.

doctor4766

Awesome project.
If it were me, I'd have had to label those lenses to remember where each one went  :lol:
Gotta love a '69

c00nhunterjoe

Here is my 8 inch lfe that I restored with led's. It resides in my pool area.

Todd Wilson

Thats cool! I would like to get a stoplight one of these days. Makes me want to start on my railroad block signal.......

Todd

Old Moparz

Nice work on the light.   :cheers:

When I was in high school the town I lived in updated all the traffic lights in town with new ones. The old ones ended up in the town DPW yard in a scrap pile with all the poles. I went down there with a couple of friends after I had heard that another guy in school snagged a light for himself one day. I spotted a 4 way & had to have it. It's cast aluminum in 3 sections, top, center & bottom, & was pretty crusty. I cleaned it up & brushed on a coat of a flat yellow paint my Dad had laying around. I also rewired it half-assed so I can plug it into a wall outlet.

It's in my basement all apart, but now I feel motivated to hang it up somewhere.   :icon_smile_big:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Nice r\r signal. I have several traffic lights that I have redone. My next project is a railroad crossing signal. I just finished the lights and have a mint cross bucks, got to get a pole and mount it all up

A383Wing

I'm gonna get a stop light also...probably at the end of the month...there is a guy down South of me in Olympia that contacted me who has a bunch of 'em for sale....

What my plan to do for the lights is to find or make a controller to change the operation to make it like a real operating street signal light. That way all 3 lights will not be on at the same time....

Bryan 

c00nhunterjoe

Check out the website "lightstogo" the circuit boards are...... 40 bucks I think. Can't beat it. I have several in my different lights.  They function as a real light will with adjustable timer, flashingyellow, flashing red, or both red and yellow flashing

A383Wing

thanks...I got that site saved....$44 plus shipping for the control of the 3 bulb traffic light....that's a good deal I think..I could not come up with something for that

Bryan

Old Moparz

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 17, 2012, 08:27:25 PM
Check out the website "lightstogo" the circuit boards are...... 40 bucks I think. Can't beat it. I have several in my different lights.  They function as a real light will with adjustable timer, flashingyellow, flashing red, or both red and yellow flashing

That's a reasonable price, thanks for posting that name.   :2thumbs:

I found a photo of an old 4-way light that looks like the one I have.....
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

c00nhunterjoe

No problem. The circuit boards fit in the palm of my 9 year old's hand. I've had mine for 3 years, trouble free with LOTS of hours of use. I really like the 4 way light. Wish I had one but people arecrazy when they sell a set. I pay now more then 50 bucks a light max, and I see the 4 light sets go for over a grand....... crazy I tell you!!!!!!!

A383Wing

yea..I got a guy over here that will sell me a 3-light traffic light for $60

gonna get one in a few weeks

Bryan

ChgrSteve67

I think you need to pick up three

One to go under each of your tail lights hanging in your garage.

ChgrSteve67

Here are some pictures from today.

Its interesting that the paint turned to a darker green after it dryed in the sun for a few hours.
I'm going to give everything a few more days to cure before bolting anything back together.

The boring part is over, now is when things start getting interesting.

A383Wing

yea...you playing with electricity 

Bryan (waiting for California to have a power outage now)

ChgrSteve67

I ordered the controller with power chord today.

I'm still working on figuring out the base to mount it on and I'm making progress, just don't quite have it completely figured out yet.

I'm also working on a mount to connect my Dodge Charger street sign to it.

Lennard

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 17, 2012, 12:50:46 PM
When I was in high school the town I lived in updated all the traffic lights in town with new ones. The old ones ended up in the town DPW yard in a scrap pile with all the poles. I went down there with a couple of friends after I had heard that another guy in school snagged a light for himself one day. I spotted a 4 way & had to have it. It's cast aluminum in 3 sections, top, center & bottom, & was pretty crusty. I cleaned it up & brushed on a coat of a flat yellow paint my Dad had laying around. I also rewired it half-assed so I can plug it into a wall outlet.
It's in my basement all apart, but now I feel motivated to hang it up somewhere.   :icon_smile_big:
Here's a pic of your? 4 way light and a Charger.

ChgrSteve67

Here are some updated pics

I have not wired the controller yet to light it up.

Now I have to figure out the stand.

Dans 68

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on June 16, 2012, 08:41:04 PM
...Not sure where its going to go yet....

I thought we discussed that when you bought it at the Ohlone show. Bottom line Marie gets to control which light is lit at any given time....   :smilielol:

Nice work, Bucko!

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ChgrSteve67

Neal_J

I've had one in the garage for years.   Wife bought it in Cambria and I restored it.  To make it flash, I put a little disc in each lamp socket that flashes the lights for random intervals.  They were a couple of bucks each at Orchard Supply long ago. 

Even now, the first thing the kids do when they go in the shop is turn on the signal.

Congrats, Mr. Rogers!~

c00nhunterjoe

Just moved mine today because the bush in the corner isgetting tall and blocked it. I like the green on yours.

ChgrSteve67

A little more progress today.

Mock up of the signal stand and I wired up the controller.

Video of the Signal cycling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uYgTRReO80

I have the base of the stand in the back yard getting painted.
I still have to install the on/off switch and wiring for the stand.

ChgrSteve67

Final update on my traffic signal project.

I finally finished the restoration of my LFE traffic signal.

Here is a final picture and video of it in operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_lmW5h9zmM

Neal_J

Nice work, contrats on completing your project.

Are you satisfied with the stand?   If yes, nevermind.  If no, another option is a cast iron round table base (that what I used). 

ChgrSteve67

Thanks Neal

I will see how it works out.
I may choose to use the original mount and hang it from the wall

Steve P.

I need this with a pressure switch so when the wife drives the truck she knows when to stop.. Could make the green come on once the garage door is all the way open. Yellow when she's half way in and red when she is in far enough....

I think I might be on to something here!!!!!!!   :2thumbs:

Your light and sign look great Steve.. Nice job!!!!!  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ChgrSteve67

Here is the controller

http://www.amazon.com/Parkrite-Home-Garage-Parking-System/dp/B0010B1BKG/ref=sr_1_71?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1341962666&sr=1-71&keywords=parking+assist

Parkrite is the perfect parking Guide. Place the Parkeite at the back wall of your garage and it will show you where to stop each and every time you enter your garage. Ultrasonic sensor measure the distance between the Parkrite and the bumper of your car and turns on a Green light when you enter, Amber Light when you get closer, Red flashing light when you are very close and Red steady light for a stop.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida