News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 bolt vs. 1 bolt cam

Started by yeahitsgotahemi!, June 14, 2012, 01:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeahitsgotahemi!

I ordered a new cam for a 512 stroker, comp cams xs290, and by default it is a 1 bolt cam. I didn't pay attention and ordered the 1 bolt version. Should I send it back and get the three bolt, or is this not that big an issue?

MS
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Fred

If it was me, I'd definitely send it back and get the 3 bolt cam.   :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

FLG

GPULLER

Long ago the bolt came loose on the single bolt cam in my 440.  I came to a curve, let off the throttle the car died and the  interior filled with smoke.  Pulled to the side of the road and the air filter was on fire!
Got the filter pulled without catching the car or myself on fire.  After getting the motor tore down I found that some of the pistons had "eyebrows" on faces.  Luckily none of the valves were bent.  As I remember the pin was wiped off and got another out of an old cam and stuck it in the existing cam.  Used some lock tite on the cam bolt when the motor was reassembled.

gtx6970

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on June 14, 2012, 01:48:31 AM
I ordered a new cam for a 512 stroker, comp cams xs290, and by default it is a 1 bolt cam. I didn't pay attention and ordered the 1 bolt version. Should I send it back and get the three bolt, or is this not that big an issue?

MS

or locktight the bolt and call it good , how many cars are on the road today with a single bolt !!!!!!!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: gtx6970 on June 14, 2012, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on June 14, 2012, 01:48:31 AM

MS

or locktight the bolt and call it good , how many cars are on the road today with a single bolt !!!!!!!

Thats what I did..... :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

specially being not a racing car :shruggy:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Fred

For peace of mind, what would you do? 
install the one with one bolt or install the one with three bolts.  :scratchchin:
I rest my case.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

justcruisin

I presume you are fitting a new timing chain and gears, cost is around the same for a 3 bolt, you were concerned enough to ask, it will probably be fine, single bolt has been used for years but it will be forever on your mind now, change it for peace of mind.

John_Kunkel

The camshaft won't know if it's a 383 or a 683...only the resistance to turning (rpm and valve train pressure) determines the need for a 3-bolt.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

J-440

Using loc-tite is a must but also I recall putting a spacer with 3 bendable tabs that go over each bolthead so they won't back out also.  This was on a roller cam so I don't know if it is standard on mechanical/hydraulic cams.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

firefighter3931

I wouldn't worry about the single bolt cam. I've used many over the years without issue....just install the proper convex washer, torque to spec with loctite and forget about it.  ;)

I've seen some improperly installed 3 bolt cams have the bolts back off. A member here sent me a message about his new stroker making some weird noise from the timing cover. It turns out that the 3 bolts did not have washers installed and probably weren't torqued to spec. The noise he was hearing was the 3 bolts digging a groove in his timing cover  :eek2:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

yeahitsgotahemi!

Thanks all. I refused the shipment and the single bolt is on its way back to comp cams. I'm not in a rush so a few extras days wont kill me to get the three bolt. I'll make sure to get ARP bolts and washers for it.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson