News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Last minute indecision -- do I buy this car?

Started by tpetty, June 13, 2012, 07:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpetty

I've been looking for a black RT without a vinyl roof for a year.  Found this one on Hemmings, and had it inspected.  Only flaws found are: nonfunctional radio, minimal surface rust inside trunk, dash clock doesn't work.  Body, underneath, and engine all look great.  The engine is not stamped, just has a date code stamp that is within 2 days of the car build date -- so it's believed to be the original engine, but can never really be proven to be numbers matching.

It has a 950 cfm carb, which he says should really be replaced with a smaller one to allow more comfortable driving.  You can see that the dash gauges have never been restored, and need to be.

I figure by the time I pay to have a different carb, get a stereo system installed, buy a buddy seat and have it redone (I need to seat 6), and have the gauges redone, I've got another 2000-2500.

A month ago, he had said he would take 43k, I had psyched myself up to that -- but talking with him tonight, he now has an offer of $44,500, and wants the full advertised $45k.  I told him no.

I realize it's only an extra 5% -- it was just the shock of having the price I thought was set, raised.  He said he will wait until tomorrow afternoon to contact the guy that offered the $44500.

Just looking for advice pro/con at this price.  By the time I get it shipped to me, and make the upgrades mentioned, it would be pushing a $50k car.  That's a lot of money.  What do you guys think of the car at this price?  The inability to prove numbers matching bothers me some at this price point.  I don't really have a lot of space at this point, and can certainly wait to buy a car -- but what do you think the odds of finding a similar type car in a year or two is?  I've got tonight to decide.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/dodge/charger_r_t/1356238.html

Brightyellow69rtse

for 45k he should buy the right carb. if you got that much to spend man you can get pretty much anything you want, well within reason lol.

bakerhillpins

This car has come up on this site before. I believe it was on ebay and that's why it was discussed in the Charger section.

50k and it doesn't even have the sail panel emblems..  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

1969chargerrtse

That's a lot of money.  At that price I hope you're looking at it in person?  I wouldn't spend that kind of money unless I viewed it up close.  The odds of finding a black charger?  I've seen a few but they are 69.  Do you have to have a 68?  I'm sure there are 68 black chargers out there.  Hard call.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tpetty

I can't get there in person, that's why I paid $300 for a professional inspection/appraisal.  They appraised it at $43k.  Actually don't care regarding 68 vs 69.

charger_fan_4ever

For that price and non matching numbers it should be spotless. Surface rust in the trunk should not be in the description. If it was all #'s match i could justify the price, but rust/non working gauges too much $$ in my opinion. :Twocents:

All the go fast goodies(even though expensive) don't add any value to it.

stripedelete

It's nice.  But, IMO, for $45K there should be zero issues and you drive it home.   :Twocents:

bakerhillpins

I just spent 20 minutes searching for the other thread but trying to search for a specific thread about a black 68 charger here is kinda like arguing with a stupid person, you can't win.  Sorry.  I recall it being picked apart.

Looks like the valance corners are smoothed over too.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 13, 2012, 08:29:06 PM
I just spent 20 minutes searching for the other thread but trying to search for a specific thread about a black 68 charger here is kinda like arguing with a stupid person, you can't win.  Sorry.  I recall it being picked apart.

I remember it too, we decided it was overpriced.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 13, 2012, 08:29:06 PM
I just spent 20 minutes searching for the other thread but trying to search for a specific thread about a black 68 charger here is kinda like arguing with a stupid person, you can't win.  Sorry.  I recall it being picked apart.

I know the thread your talking about I think it was this one where they dude was getting scammed on the hemmings car.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,91134.0.html

bakerhillpins

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

tpetty

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 13, 2012, 08:30:18 PM
You're better off buying this guys car at $35,000 and painting it black.   :Twocents:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,92393.0.html

But a 10k paint job to completely change the color would still leave me with a non-numbers matching $45k car -- that still needs some minor things worked on.  I don't see how that is any different?  At least the black one MIGHT have the original engine, and has working AC.  :shruggy:

nh_mopar_fan

bakerhillpins

Quote from: tpetty on June 13, 2012, 08:51:57 PM
But a 10k paint job to completely change the color would still leave me with a non-numbers matching $45k car -- that still needs some minor things worked on.  I don't see how that is any different?  At least the black one MIGHT have the original engine, and has working AC.  :shruggy:

Actually I think his point is that you could spend the same, end up with the same, but you are buying a car that you have more information on and hence are not taking as a big of risk on.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Vainglory, Esq.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think $43,500 is reasonable. As for the sailpanel emblems, maybe he just doesn't like them? I didn't, so I left them off. It's not like that would ever keep me from putting them on in the future.

tpetty

He is now wanting the full advertised $45k -- not 43.5k.

FLG

You can find a better car for that price, take your time. Look on the forum classifieds you can find a better deal from a better seller.

Fred

He can ask for $45k but you can refuse to give it to him. Unless you're absolutely desperate for it.........walk away.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

$45K?  I realize I'm stuck in 1994 when a car like that wouldn't go for more than $3K but Good Lord, man.  I'd say 35K TOPS...

tan top

Quote from: stripedelete on June 13, 2012, 08:22:21 PM
It's nice.  But, IMO, for $45K there should be zero issues and you drive it home.   :Twocents:

:iagree:

looks good from the pictures though  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:

but  see a good few things wrong ,   that should not be for that price ,  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

y3chargerrt

If it was all stock and a real black car then maybe 45. All those go fast goodies take away value imo. I'd keep looking. I'm sure me and a few others will keep our eyes peeled at Carlisle for you. Good luck!

paironines

His mention of an offer of 44,5 is a sales tool to get more money. He has no offer. Or he doesnt want to sell it. Id stick to what you initially wanted to pay or walk. No seller doesnt accept 44,500 when they are asking 45k.

Old Moparz

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on June 13, 2012, 08:53:58 PM
Someone pulls that on me. I walk.

I'm on the same page. Anyone that changes the price by raising it, can stick my original offer where the sun doesn't shine.  :Twocents:

If you have any doubts about buying it, go with your gut instinct & pass on it. If the guy thinks you desperately want the car, he's going to take advantage of that & gouge you on the price. Anyone that uses the story, "I have a higher offer from another buyer, so you now have to give me more if you want it." is blatantly full of shit. Even if they actually do have a higher offer, I still say they are full of shit.   :lol:

By the way, if this happened to me, my original offer is off the table & would go lower if I was still at all interested. An agreement that doesn't go well from the start is a red flag on what might be wrong with the car elsewhere.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69 OUR/TEA

I'll be the harsh one,about half !!!!! Gauges are horrible,eng bay a mess,front suspension bigger mess.$22-24 tops !!!!! $45k should buy alot nicer car than that !!!!!

tpetty

The unanimous opinions here certainly make my decision to pass on the car feel better.  Thanks all

bakerhillpins

I think in the end you are making the right decision. I know it's harder to let go of because you are excited and you dropped $300 on an inspection but I do sincerely believe you will be better off waiting.

:cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Homerr

A tad late to the party, but this car had $110k + $25k = $135k put in to it?  It's a nice car, but I'm not seeing it.  The $43-45k realm still seems a bit high for this market unless it was cherry all around and/or restored to original.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 13, 2012, 08:30:18 PM
You're better off buying this guys car at $35,000 and painting it black.   :Twocents:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,92393.0.html

Ha!  I wrote the same thing at first but deleted it because I didn't want to push my car. But I wrote, buy mine for 35k and paint it. To funny.
I don't wanna see that happen. He has the money. Sit and wait. They'll be better ones. That car is over priced in my comparison.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tpetty

The story on the ridiculous money spent on car -- well over $100k -- is interesting, but actually sounds truthful when talking with him.  He didn't spend that.  Apparently a Saudi prince -- seriously -- living in Florida wanted to duplicate the Fast and the Furious charger.  Money was no object.  They eventually talked him out of chopping the hood for a blower.  While supposedly things were done well -- they truly gouged him on price.  Things like 10 grand for a new transmission. 

Apparently after 9/11, when muslims didn't feel too welcome here, he went back to Saudi Arabia and gave his car collection to various employees.  When the current owner bought the car from the employee it was given to, he promptly sent the original transmission, which they still had, for repair -- and found out nothing much was wrong with it.  He put the original one back in.  So you can see how an enormous bill can be generated if you want to rip someone off and they don't care about money.

Dino

I remember that car, way way waaaaay overpriced.  Much better cars out there.  There's a bronze/white 68 R/T not too far from me for $33K and a red 69 with 440 (no idea it it's a real R/T) and he dropped the price from $25K to $20K recently.  For $50K there can be nothing wrong with it.

These sellers think they have the last survivor of only 3 made.   :rotz:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.