News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Vs Turbo Buick

Started by Blacknight, June 13, 2012, 02:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacknight

Well i have owned quite a few mopars and i will always love Chargers. But now i am getting into the turbo buick cars. Have any of you guys ever raced against them? I was wondering how you did i know they are really fast when modified. Thanks Dax

BB1

Buddy of mine does high 11's with a few mods. Motor has never been apart, no slicks.
Delete my profile

Ram07

Is that a fair comparison?...What almost 20 yrs difference....right?

Blacknight

What do you mean fair comparison?? I just asking if anyone has run against a turbo buick? Big block 440 or 383 against turbo 3.8 litre.

69 OUR/TEA

Hello Blacknight,I have been into Buicks(V8's and the turbo Regals) as well as Mopars,and have owned my GN for 21 years now.It seems like a large majority of brand x crowds take a liking and following to the 86,87 GN's and Turbo Regals,and for good reason.Been around drag racing for a long time,had numerous cars that I used to take to the track and by far,especially cars from the 80's,there is no other car to gain the kind of power for the money as the 86,87 Turbo Regal cars.Back in the early -mid 90's there must have been a dozen of us that had them and for an easy recipe with less than $500.00 and a set of slicks,not touching the turbo or anything inside the motor was an easy car to get 12.50 @ 109 mph.And get 1.60's for sixty foots out of a car that weighs 3,700lbs and only 3.42 gears.The sound they produce is another fun part of driving them,ntm,passes the emissions,rides real nice,looks awesome,handles,A/C and 25mpg on the highway !!!! Alot of great stuff wrapped up in one car.
 Its amazing the big following still on a car that was only made 2 years(the good ones,intercooled),and is now 25 years old,and the vendors still there with parts offerings.
Honestly,when they first came out,I loved how they looked ,it was'nt till later on that I learned the power potential of them.
IMO,it's a car that owning you don't get sick of or tired of !!!! Recently I just picked up a 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am Pace Car that not to many even know what they are,but are the sister car to the GN's,as they were powered by the same Buick turbo intercooled  V6.Now you have a car that handles like heck and has the sound,mpg's,and  power potential that the GN's had.
Suprisingly,there are a couple members here already that own one or the other.
My cars engine has never been apart,stock tranny and rear,did the bolt on items,and have run  12.21 @ 112 mph with a 1.65 sixty foot.That run my trans was slipping on the 1-2 shift and was experiencing a boost fluctuation problem.Those problems rectified,the car most likely will see 11.80's-11.90's.
I have a couple of other friends with some real fast ones,that are very knowledgable with them.
Summing it up for you,awesome car to own !!!!If you do start looking for one,if you can do so,buy a cleaner average mile car to start off with.Trust me.

69 OUR/TEA

Some of you might remember my post of a car show here in Ct back in the winter of a group of cars in my friends display booth at the show who owns a resto shop.A good friend of mine who works there as well as myself,and the owner crammed to get his 86 T-type done for that show.Besides trying to make big amounts of power with this car,he also wanted it to be a show car in detail and paint.The owner did the bodywork,my other good friend the resto shop owner painted it and I helped with a good amount of the sanding and buffing.The car turned out real nice,and  2 weeks ago we all went to a track rental with him for his first time out with the car,lets just say having good power is an understatement.Some pics and a you tube vid..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3GqdqwQdA

Chryco Psycho

I worked on a friends GN , it was nutz , ran 9s on drag radials , felt like it would lift the front wheels .......@ 60 MPH
I had a big block 440 Duster that would pull the front wheels & run mids 11s all day .. it would never stay with the GN !!

69 OUR/TEA

And another friend who went that day that drives his car to the track 120 miles each way,10.00 @ 138 mph,still on a stock 3.8 block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavJRjMQA44&feature=relmfu

Blacknight

Wow what a beautiful car!!! I get the same feeling looking at these cars as i do with the charger. The only two cars that get me excited to see!! Yea i am in the process of getting a t type turbo buick. I think it will be fun to drive. Dax

69 OUR/TEA

Mine with the drag tires and stock....

Mytur Binsdirti

No doubt they are fast cars & can be hopped up easily.

Ghoste

In my 69 with a modified 440 I handed a stock GN his ass.
In my 67 with a slightly modified 383 a modified GN ripped my ass off my body and shoved it so far down my throat I damn near puked.
That answer it for ya? :lol:

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Ghoste on June 13, 2012, 07:10:46 PM
In my 69 with a modified 440 I handed a stock GN his ass.
In my 67 with a slightly modified 383 a modified GN ripped my ass off my body and shoved it so far down my throat I damn near puked.
That answer it for ya? :lol:

That is funny stuff Ghoste !!!!!!

Ghoste

It's about the truth though.  To make it worse, in version two, he had his girlfriend riding with him. :lol:

bakerhillpins

If I had the coin and the space I would put a GN or GNX in my garage.  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Also like the Monte Carlo's of the mid 80s..  Guess I am a bit  :coocoo:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

tpetty

One of cars in my ultimate garage, along with a 68/69 Charger, is an 87/88 Monte SS.  The Monte doesn't have the power of the GN -- but it was the "cool" car back in high school.  :icon_smile_big:

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bakerhillpins

Quote from: tpetty on June 13, 2012, 08:16:08 PM
One of cars in my ultimate garage, along with a 68/69 Charger, is an 87/88 Monte SS.  The Monte doesn't have the power of the GN -- but it was the "cool" car back in high school.  :icon_smile_big:

Ain't that the truth  :lol:  :2thumbs: 
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Vainglory, Esq.

Are you the same Blacknight who was on the original site like 10 years ago? Had an all-black '68?

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Ram07 on June 13, 2012, 03:14:02 PM
Is that a fair comparison?...What almost 20 yrs difference....right?
no, but he doesn't want it moved to 'Car Guys Discussion'

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 13, 2012, 04:19:12 PM
Mine with the drag tires and stock....

They look good in black!!

myk

Dem Buicks are fast.  A classic Charger would have to be putting down some serious power if it even hoped to keep up with a stock Turbo Buick; otherwise, it wouldn't be pretty...

Blacknight

Yea i am a old member was on the old site. That 68 charger was the first mopar i ever owned. I sold it years ago to buy my house. I do miss that car it turned out nice i wonder what ever happen to it. It went to oklahoma maybe someone here knows. Hey tea your car looks great i love the black gn. Dax 

Cooter

lemme see, a 3.8 liter engine that is maxed out making what? Lke 300-350 HP  boosted?

Lemme try and max out a 440 with boost. Apples to apples, that's like a 1100 HP 440....No comparison when BOTH engines are maxed out like that little 3.8 is....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Quote from: Cooter on June 14, 2012, 12:18:16 PM
lemme see, a 3.8 liter engine that is maxed out making what? Lke 300-350 HP  boosted?

Lemme try and max out a 440 with boost. Apples to apples, that's like a 1100 HP 440....No comparison when BOTH engines are maxed out like that little 3.8 is....
That stock 3.8 isn't maxed out at all.

Stock for stock the GN is faster than most all 440 powered musclecars I believe. Throw some very minor modifications at it and it really flies. Throw a lot of money at it and things get crazy!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GOTWING

i purchased a blue 86 Buick T-type Regal 3.8 sfi intercooled turbo in 1989 took it to the track, turned 13.88 @ 99mph in dead stock trim with nice cool weather. I got it in the 12:40's for under $700 ( included nos ) It's the one on cars in barns. :D