News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are Charger owners more likely to be "keepers"?

Started by Ghoste, June 12, 2012, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Obviously a topic on my mind today so no, I'm not thinking about selling mine at the moment.  But I definitely would to get something else even though I know in some ways I would regret losing it.
So, do you think Charger owners in general are more likely to want to keep their cars versus fans of other makes and models?
An unfair and clealy biased place to ask a dumb question like this but some of you own other musclecars, are you inclined to sell one of them before you would let the Charger go?

Charger440RDN

I don't own one yet but when I get my hands on one I will probably never sell it.

hatersaurusrex

I'll probably keep mine forever.   My bro is restoring it and if anything I'd sell it to him if I had to get rid of it for money reasons or the like.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Charger440RDN on June 12, 2012, 07:43:34 PM
I don't own one yet but when I get my hands on one I will probably never sell it.

What no Charger..Wrong forumn.  :rofl:

crankypat

never going to sell, its a part of me.  good times and bad times, i sold others but not this one. also had it forever. :yesnod: :cheers: :popcrn:

A383Wing

Quote from: crankypat on June 12, 2012, 07:57:46 PM
  never going to sell, its a part of me.  good times and bad times, i sold others but not this one. also had it forever. :yesnod: :cheers: :popcrn:

yea..same here...still got my first one....one of the kids will get it...

Bryan (may be sooner than you think)

Charger440RDN

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 12, 2012, 07:55:56 PM
Quote from: Charger440RDN on June 12, 2012, 07:43:34 PM

What no Charger..Wrong forumn.  :rofl:

Yeah I know, I get on here to dream and wish until I can afford one. Bought a house last summer and that put a serious dent in my plans.  :rotz:

jobbless

I thought I had so sell my 68. I listed it, and I had someone willing to pay my asking price. but I just couldn't let it go. I spent way too long looking before I got one. I can't see me ever selling it. Unless I had to. Family/medical reasons. I love my charger. But there are lots of them out there. Most unattainable to me. But the.people I love are much more important.
68 charger parts needed.
Radio bezel
Tail panel trim
4 speed console
Tail lights

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Chad L. Magee

Yes, Charger owners tend to keep ahold of their cars more than other owners from my perspective.  They tend to be aware that Chargers are not the "cookie cutter cars" that some of the other brands had made during that era.  I have known former Mustang and Camaro owners who lusted after Chargers after selling their cars, but not so much the reverse.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

TheGhost

Dont think Charger owners are more likely than any other Muscle car guys to keep their car.  It all really depends on the person, not the kind of car they like.  I know a Camaro guy who's had his car since new, and a Mopar guy that changes cars almost yearly.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Charger RT

for me all cars are like a marriage till death do you part. very few cars have left my posession and gone to someone else. I bought my charger in 85 from my brother who bought it in 80. my wife still drives the town & country we bought in 2000 and I the voyager we bought in 99.
Tim

bill440rt

I have no intentions of selling, either. I bought my '68 from the original owner, I've owned it now longer than he did.
I've turned down some head-scratching serious offers, but I guess it's more of a sentimental thing.  :cheers:
Come to think of it, I've never really sold a Charger before. Well, not exactly. I did sell a '77 Charger I used to have as a kid as a beater.  :icon_smile_big:

I'd REALLY like a '69 500 someday, but I don't know if I'd be able to part with what I have. Tough decision...  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Darkman

Mine always was going to be and will always be a keeper for the following reasons:

• These cars are not common US Muscle cars in Aus (unlike Mustangs, Camaros and Chevies)
  • A project car that the family could be involved in and enjoy when complete
  • Something to hand down to the kids
  • RHD Conversion
  • Personalised/customised to my tastes/wants/needs

If I had something more common, such as a Mustang or Camaro, I wouldn't hesitate selling when needed and getting another, but this Charger will have more into it than I will ever get back (you can't put a dollar value on sentiment/blood/sweat and tears)
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

charger_fan_4ever

I'm with Bill. Only way I'd part with mine would be for a 69 C500. Then again after all the hours put into it, time spent hunting parts it would be tough to swallow.I'd sell every other vehicle first maybe even the house lol.

lee2

I dont have a charger yet. but im having quite a difficult time getting rid of what I have. Ive owned Fords and Gms but never any mopars and Id love to own one. Honestly the car im least attached to is my 74 Corvette even tho my grandfather had one just like it and that was the first classic car I ever saw when I was younger. Id get rid of it though if I can find a good builder 69 Charger.
Welcome to Hazzard County. They do things different here.

Chargen69

i had one and went through the pain and suffering of selling it and the void was SO bad, i watched ebag and everything else for years, and finally sold a pretty rare malibu to get the charger i have now, i cant tell you the relief i had transporting this thing home.  I have no plans to sell it, unless it means food or shelter, other than that, they'll have to pry the keys away from my cold dead hands.

GordonGriggs

My mother bought my first 1966 dodge charger in 1971 on my 4th birthday. Its not going anywhere, neither is my other 66 or 69 Charger.

Indygenerallee

Nope, my 69 will never go anywhere im 32 and have jonesed for a 69 since I was 13 and since I bought it last year and going the Daytona route I will die before I sell it (unless someone wants to throw stupid money my way where I can buy another and have enough money left over to pay off my house!)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

69 ROCKET

Ive only just purchased my Charger and I know ill be keeping it for a very long time :2thumbs:

tan top

never selling  mine  , always wanted a 69 charger since the late 70s

had mine  little  over 23 years  , started saving money from first job out of school , then a year of searching  found the charger of my dreams that ticked all the boxes , ie & original Y2  :drool5:  69   R/T ,   bought it few weeks after my 18th birthday , from  the second owner , it was in daily use also at the time  :yesnod:
never going to sell this , spent thousands of hours working on it , over the years ,  stripped it down to the last nut & bolt & clip doing the resto ,   spent too much dough on parts :icon_smile_blackeye:  , luckily  my time was free , well almost every weekend & two hours after work almost every night  in the week ,  for three plus years while doing it , did get sick of the sight of it too for a while  ,  doing the same work as a day job for 9 hours a day 5 days a week . , :icon_smile_blackeye:  but once the second lot of  highbuild primer was blocked / flatted for the last time  , i could smell victory  :lol:  ,  took a weeks holiday ,  got the charger in & painted  the empty body shell  :yesnod:  :dance:
did not touch it for a while , just kept looking at it , thinking glad this damn thing is done  :lol: & never doing another  :lol:
 would make an exception , would love a  69 C500 though  :drool5:  in Y2    :drool5:  or R4 or R6 or W1
   IF i had the dough :'(   & would never sell mine to get one .

think i've deviated from your original post Ghoste  , sorry  :cheers: i get a bit carried away on times
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chryco Psycho

I guess I am one of the exceptions , I have bought & sold 6 Chargers , 2 I still have but I would sell both before I would sell my R/T SE Challenger

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Ghoste on June 12, 2012, 07:35:59 PM
 But I definitely would to get something else even though I know in some ways I would regret losing it.
maybe you should consider changing the color of the charger, instead?

myk

I'd sell mine only if it meant that I could get another, better one, although at this point I've spent almost 20 years with my '69 so that's probably not gonna happen.  2nd Gen Chargers are a defining bastion of my life-any other cars can take a backseat...