News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about selling my Charger R/T Final UPDATE.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 11, 2012, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tpetty on June 14, 2012, 12:58:09 AM
Quote "I got screwed royal and handled it.  If you can't fix cars, do not get a 40 year old Mopar."

Not trying to be negative to the car -- just trying to be helpful.  Those little things that you can do in a minute, that you think are meaningless, may be important to some buyers.  

I strongly disagree that someone who is not an excellent mechanic and body man shouldn't enjoy driving a classic.  I have a '70 Challenger and '70 GS455 in the garage - they have already been restored - and when they need work I simply have the local mechanic do it.  He loves working on these cars. Doesn't take away from my enjoyment driving them at all.
Really want to apologize to you.  It was late, after writing that comment I took a pill to calm the nerves and go to bed ( or I would be tossing all night ).  I was just burnt out from all the suggestions and the thought of am I doing things right?  My wife agreed with me posting the link probably was not the best thing to do.  It may just open a huge can of negative worms?  Don't know?   What got me was that I sold my mint trouble free vette to buy this car back in 2007.  I thought it was as complete and perfect as my vette.  There was 1,000 things wrong or misleading.  After hating the car and life I fixed all the problems and made it great through much pain and money.  To hear comments about stupid little things and listing every thing not perfect etc.... after all I've been through rubs me the wrong way.  Sorry I was worn out and tired.  But, In most cases what I said is true, these old cars need someone that has a lot of paitence and skill.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Nickrc3 on June 13, 2012, 10:19:45 PM
Rob, upon reading this thread I was saddened to learn you had lost interest in your Charger.
I do wish to express my 'thanks' in providing all that valuable information in your earlier detail thread. Your time and effort in posting the text and pics over all those years is greatly appreciated. It certainly has been an inspiration in my recent purchase and continued improvements.

I've been luring on this site for several months now, and made an acquisition last January very similar to your Charger. Had I not made this purchase, I'd probably be wiring funds to your account in the morning. I certainly hope your patience prevails and you wait for your price. Honestly, I believe your vehicle will quickly sell at your price of 35K$.

I paid $29,500.00 for this 69 'XS' delivered to my driveway in January. In five months I've completely restored the engine compartment, rebuilt the engine and restored the instrument cluster/console.

The 68' - she's a 'Flintstone' mobile and will be my retirement project in 3 years. Purchased as my 1st car @ age 16 (1976) for $125.00, she's an original 4-speed, big block, Dana equipped.

I apologize on the hijack, but again, wish to thank you for all your contributions throughout the years.
Maybe you'll have a change of heart and keep her?

Regards,
           NICK

Thanks so much.  If it sells it sells.  If not I have a wonderful car I love. we'll see?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Dino

Rob I understand we may not see eye to eye when it comes to these little things, I'm with tpetty, but we're just trying to help and get you through this fase.  Regardless of the way you handle things and the ultimate result, we've got your back.  In the end, the potential buyer will see an honest man and feel good about buying your car. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

I think----and thats usually the problem,but not in this case,1969chargerrtse is an honorable & strait up,tell it like it is person,if i was lookin for a car you would be the kind of seller that i respect & would buy from,who ever ends up with your car for what ever price will not be getting screwed over like YOU did,and you have fixed 99.9% of the cars issues.i really hope everything works out how you expect :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1969chargerrtse

Forgot to add the 6 way seat to the option list. What else is missing? Got a few people gonna call me and 2 so far coming to see the car. I just hope I don't get dumb people over. It's a 40 year old car, there's always something that could be better or fixed. I ain't asking 50k. Ugh. I hate this part of ownership.
I can fix anything. When I find the basic car I'm dreaming of, I buy it if it's fair and I fix what needs fixing that maybe I didn't see at first.

PocketThunder

When i was shopping for a boat all the guys at work told me, "The happiest days of a boat owner are the day he buys it and the day he sells it".   Maybe thats true here also.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dino

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 14, 2012, 11:20:28 AM
When i was shopping for a boat all the guys at work told me, "The happiest days of a boat owner are the day he buys it and the day he sells it".   Maybe thats true here also.

I think that is true for a lot of things.  People dream over a certain car for years and of course nothing in that dream is negative so when someone finally gets their dream ride reality will kick in and sometimes the dream turns out to be a nightmare.

I like doing certain repairs and work to the car but I dread a lot of it as well.  I hate working on the engine because I have limited knowledge of engines and transmissions, there's so little room you can barely reach the spark plugs and I always hurt my lower back from being stretched over the fender.

resq302

Thats why I put the car up on ramps and get to the plugs from under the car.  Much more room and a lot easier to be working when laying on your back! :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

Quote from: resq302 on June 14, 2012, 11:34:17 AM
Thats why I put the car up on ramps and get to the plugs from under the car.  Much more room and a lot easier to be working when laying on your back! :lol:

I really need to get some ramps, that would definitely help.  A creeper would be nice as well, cardboard isn't all that comfy when you've passed 25.

I still would have problems reaching anything with those headers though.  If I ever remove them I may just get the hp manifolds instead.  I'm not sure the extra hp and the sound of the headers is worth all the hassle.

1969chargerrtse

Yeah I do plugs on my back also. How about after spending 4k to have my motor rebuilt, 6 months later the rear main seal let go!  I did that on my back in my garage. Been over 2 years leak free.  :laugh:  I did a thread on that too.

bakerhillpins

You lucky bums that have a garage or even concrete to work on!   :slap:

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 14, 2012, 10:28:05 AM
I just hope I don't get dumb people over. It's a 40 year old car, there's always something that could be better or fixed. I ain't asking 50k. Ugh. I hate this part of ownership.

When I buy older crap (what ever it may be, cars, pinball machines, tools) it's always an expectation of it being used and that you look for good "bones". I take it from there, either having the necessary work done or more often than not trying to deal with it myself. Not many people are into doing things themselves anymore. It must be too much like being responsible.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

1969chargerrtse

Off to a good start. Someone looked at it and started it while my wife was home and thought it was better than he expected. 35k is no issue and going for a test ride next week. Cool.  :2thumbs:  He said he had smiles all over his face. That's the type buyer I'm looking for.

Dino

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 14, 2012, 03:17:44 PM
Off to a good start. Someone looked at it and started it while my wife was home and thought it was better than he expected. 35k is no issue and going for a test ride next week. Cool.  :2thumbs:  He said he had smiles all over his face. That's buyer I'm looking for.

Sweet!  Now go get yourself that WS6!

Oh almost forgot this, the original chrome tips on the T/A's are way too small because of the size of the bumper cutouts.  It just looks out of place so I bought a set of Pypes polished SS oval tips and they look great!  Double round tips are very nice as well so google tips on the LS1 site to see tons of them.

I'll likely install them on the weekend so I'll post some pics.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Dino on June 14, 2012, 03:30:42 PM
Off to a good start. Someone looked at it and started it while my wife was home and thought it was better than he expected. 35k is no issue and going for a test ride next week. Cool.  :2thumbs:  He said he had smiles all over his face. That's buyer I'm looking for.

Oh almost forgot this, the original chrome tips on the T/A's are way too small because of the size of the bumper cutouts.  It just looks out of place so I bought a set of Pypes polished SS oval tips and they look great!  Double round tips are very nice as well so google tips on the LS1 site to see tons of them.

Gonna be a hard to find. 2002 RED WS6 Trans Am convertible 6 speed. Already researched the numbers. Better luck finding a loaded triple black R/TSE 

Dino

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 14, 2012, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: Dino on June 14, 2012, 03:30:42 PM

Gonna be a hard to find. 2002 RED WS6 Trans Am convertible 6 speed. Already researched the numbers. Better luck finding a loaded triple black R/TSE 

I see one from time to time in my area, just like the one you want so I'll flag him down next time.  Who knows, maybe he'll sell.  Also post an ad on the Ls1 board.

TUFCAT

Off to a good start. Someone looked at it and started it while my wife was home and thought it was better than he expected. 35k is no issue and going for a test ride next week. Cool.  :2thumbs: He said he had smiles all over his face. That's the type buyer I'm looking for.

I'd want an out of state buyer (at least 5 states away) so I'd never see it again. :'(

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 14, 2012, 05:01:02 PM
Off to a good start. Someone looked at it and started it while my wife was home and thought it was better than he expected. 35k is no issue and going for a test ride next week. Cool.  :2thumbs: He said he had smiles all over his face. That's the type buyer I'm looking for.

I'd want an out of state buyer (at least 5 states away) so I'd never see it again. :'(

I hear ya, but when I see my stuff here and there, I'm proud.  I love em all.

1969chargerrtse

Just did some nice updates on my eBay ad.  Check out the video and pics!!

EDIT:

Keep posting that www.SearcheBayforanorange69Chargerforsaleifyourreinterested.com link & this entire thread will be moved to the For Sale section!!!!

Signed a friendly Moderator

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 14, 2012, 05:01:02 PM

How do you think I feel seing my old B5 69 running around town here now while I'm restoring another one again !!!!! :brickwall:

1969chargerrtse

Certainly not looking to post in the wrong section if it's a bad thing to do.  :shruggy:  If you would like to move it over there that's fine.  Kinda odd as wrong section post are done everyday, I just gave up on trying to re direct them. Thank for a warning, but move it over anyway as it is for sale.

myk

God you're selling it.  Where's my fork so I can scoop my eyes out of their sockets.  Won't you reconsider the Myk initiative and own both? 

hemi-hampton

I had a unrestored original car for sale. You should of seen all the people I had to deal with, complaining about chips, nicks scratches, door dings. People thought it should be a mint showcar if unrestored original. LEON.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 15, 2012, 01:00:14 AM
I had a unrestored original car for sale. You should of seen all the people I had to deal with, complaining about chips, nicks scratches, door dings. People thought it should be a mint showcar if unrestored original. LEON.
Yeah these are the things that keep me up at night.  The paint is real good but there are a flaw or two.  I just keep telling myself I bought It with some of those flaws and survived.  Also I'm not asking 50k.  My reserve is exactly what I believe it's worth.  The guy that came yesterday loved what he saw so, but I dread the idiots soon to follow.  You never know?  You think you could get better for less?  Good luck.  

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 15, 2012, 05:04:36 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 15, 2012, 01:00:14 AM
Yeah these are the things that keep me up at night.  The paint is real good but there are a flaw or two.  I just keep telling myself I bought It with some of those flaws and survived.  Also I'm not asking 50k.  My reserve is exactly what I believe it's worth.  The guy that came yesterday loved what he saw so, but I dread the idiots soon to follow.  You never know?  You think you could get better for less?  Good luck.  

40 year old car and you do drive instead of just hide it away. I was I gonna buy it I would expect it the nicks and what not. All I would care about is it mechnically driveable etc...other than that you have a awesome car.

69 OUR/TEA

If I had the extra $$$$$ laying around Rob,I'd buy it,perfect for me to do an easy DMCL clone !!!!!!  :yesnod: