News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about selling my Charger R/T Final UPDATE.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 11, 2012, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I say keep it but if you decide to sell I would start the listing at $35,000 (Don't take a penny less if thats what you want) and let it go from there. That way if you get 1 bid you get what you want and if it goes up it is extra cash in your pocket. I think your car is worth more but its nice to see honest sellers who want to let others enjoy the car.

I know I might get scolded saying this but why not modify it so its more driver friendly and make you want to drive it more? I got to a point with mine where I wasnt driving mine as much cause it handled like crap, was hot, couldn't brake, and just felt unsafe at times. So I added a few things here and there over the years and it made driving it a real pleasure. I'm not saying throw a ton of money at it, do big wheels, engine swaps, or a full on suspension, just a couple bolt on parts that lets the car look exactly the way it is now but feels much better. And if you wanted, could be swapped back to stock in an afternoon. Add a quality set of shocks like bilsteins, a firmer steering box, upper control arms, and some sound deadening inside. You would be surprised how different it will make the car feel on back roads and on the highway. And might just make you want to drive it more. Just a thought
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Ghoste

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Chris G.

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 13, 2012, 02:09:27 PM
I say keep it but if you decide to sell I would start the listing at $35,000 (Don't take a penny less if thats what you want) and let it go from there. That way if you get 1 bid you get what you want and if it goes up it is extra cash in your pocket.

That's the best way to do it, but it's sort of fun to watch the bids. If you want to avoid all the dumb questions, list it high and hope for the best. The spammers show and so do the kids with zero money or will throw in a Delta 88 plus cash if you're interested. Trust me, I know.

Road Dog

"it handled like crap, was hot, couldn't brake, and just felt unsafe at times"

That's why I like mine.  :yesnod:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

TUFCAT

Make sure you split everything up into smaller paragraphs to make it easy for the reader.  Nobody wants to read a LOOOONG run on paragraph which has been a pet-peave issue for me on DC.com. :eek2:

If the wording seems long and illogical, most won't read all the way through. People want to read an organized story that's easy on the eyes, with proper breaks in between - its called paragraphs folks!  :2thumbs:

Also make sure to avoid spelling errors. :brickwall:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 13, 2012, 02:42:25 PM
Make sure you split everything up into smaller paragraphs to make it easy for the reader.  Nobody wants to read a LOOOONG run on paragraph which has been a pet-peave issue for me on DC.com. :eek2:

If the wording seems long and illogical, most won't read all the way through. People want to read an organized story that's easy on the eyes, with proper breaks in between - its called paragraphs folks!  :2thumbs:

Also make sure to avoid spelling errors. :brickwall:

Well. Take what I have and smooth it out for me my friend.   :slap:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 13, 2012, 02:09:27 PM
I say keep it but if you decide to sell I would start the listing at $35,000 (Don't take a penny less if thats what you want) and let it go from there. That way if you get 1 bid you get what you want and if it goes up it is extra cash in your pocket. I think your car is worth more but its nice to see honest sellers who want to let others enjoy the car.

I know I might get scolded saying this but why not modify it so its more driver friendly and make you want to drive it more? I got to a point with mine where I wasnt driving mine as much cause it handled like crap, was hot, couldn't brake, and just felt unsafe at times. So I added a few things here and there over the years and it made driving it a real pleasure. I'm not saying throw a ton of money at it, do big wheels, engine swaps, or a full on suspension, just a couple bolt on parts that lets the car look exactly the way it is now but feels much better. And if you wanted, could be swapped back to stock in an afternoon. Add a quality set of shocks like bilsteins, a firmer steering box, upper control arms, and some sound deadening inside. You would be surprised how different it will make the car feel on back roads and on the highway. And might just make you want to drive it more. Just a thought
Thanks. And no no no.  My car rides, handles, and brakes great. It's a wonderful car to drive. One of the things I cherish is when people are asking me about it and going  :drool5:  I take pride in saying this is the way these cars looked and sounded back in the day. No regrets with this car. The guy that had an issue getting the loan is the buyer I'm looking for. The type of person that wants one so bad he can barely speak clear.  That's how I was when I got this car. I just about studdered everytime I got myself wound up talking about my love for these cars. It is an honor to own one is so true.  And if you can't relate to that you don't deserve to be behind the seat.  :patriot:

I've already listed the reasons why I'm selling it. I drove this car more in the last few years than most owners do all together. It was a great ride but time to move on and pass the torch to some other Mopar loving soul. No regrets.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Blacknight

You do what you think is right for you and your family. Ten years ago i was really into chargers and i will always love them but now that i am getting a little bit older my tastes are changing. Probably the same type of situation you are going through. Your charger is awesome somebody will get a great car. Good luck and have fun with what ever you get. Dax

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Blacknight on June 13, 2012, 03:04:25 PM
You do what you think is right for you and your family. Ten years ago i was really into chargers and i will always love them but now that i am getting a little bit older my tastes are changing. Probably the same type of situation you are going through. Your charger is awesome somebody will get a great car. Good luck and have fun with what ever you get. Dax
:2thumbs:    Thanks it was a great ride. I have no regrets of any of the great cars I've owned.

Dino

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 13, 2012, 12:29:01 PM
Quote from: Dino on June 13, 2012, 12:21:14 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 13, 2012, 12:16:33 PM
Quote from: Dino on June 13, 2012, 12:12:04 PM
Honestly, if I were to pay $35K I'd want things like backup lights and console fixed.  Not because it's costly to fix but because it would make me wonder what else is wrong.
No heat and a/c would be okay if it would just need to be hooked up but missing parts may scare some people.

Of course it's better to be honest than to not mention those things but I would opt for repairing as much as possible first.

Also post the link to your resto thread and tell potential buyers that it was a lemon and you turned it into a reliable driver.  
See. Now to me the little things are not an issue and makes me believe the seller is honest and the rest of the car is great. To post the link may scare people away thinkIng it was a lemon. We all think different.

I believe you'll encounter people on both sides of that isle.  I guess that either works as long as you word it right.  I'm just wondering what your car would be worth with and without the repairs, I honestly don't know what it's worth.
You got to be kidding me?  A little thing like back up lamp switch?  Go back read my thread about all the things not told to me?  15,000.00 in parts is a lot of parts to replace or restore. I thought it was turn key perfect when I bid on it. If someone doesn't want it over those tiny issues, they don't deserve to own a 40 year old extremely collectible classic Charger R/T.
I can just imagine the number of pages this thread will generate.

I'm not talking about the switch.  I'm talking about the switch, the console, the heater, the a/c,....  It adds up.  It's not just one little thing, it rarely is.

The way you word it is key.  When I read an ad for a high priced car and it lists the good and the bad then I see an honest seller.  If I see an ad that says the car is in great shape and then you mention the issues then it may not appear to be in great shape.  I see a lot of ads that go like this:  The car is in great shape, you won't find a better one.  Engine runs strong, just add a quart of oil every once in a while, the body is straight and the paint looks great, needs new floors.  I don't know if I'm making sense so I apologize but basically all is in the eye of the beholder.

As much as I loath the seller for lying to you, this is not the next guy's problem.  For an avid classic car guy like yourself a few tiny items may be just that, but for many people they would have no clue where to begin.  It can also be argued that if it's so tiny, why is it an issue?  I'm not trying to troll here but I want to put it out there that this is not a black and white issue.  I still say link the resto thread, THAT is being honest.

This is also not about deserving a car, that is debatable to the extreme.  Heck, some might say that owning a classic is more of a punishment than a gift.   :icon_smile_big:

You know your honest and people here know your honest but that's it, for the rest of the world you can be just about anything.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1969chargerrtse

Yeah probably gonna link the thread.  It shows all the work I did, and did anal correct and show's how the last two years have been great since my sweat and tears.  
Sounds corny but I still stick to it's an honor to own a older Dodge Charger.  I'm not up to posting the eBay ad yet.  I'm gonna sit it out.  Not looking forward to writing an ad.  To much work.  What I want is, I love it!  I'll take it.

Dino

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 13, 2012, 05:24:02 PM
Yeah probably gonna link the thread.  It shows all the work I did, and did anal correct and show's how the last two years have been great since my sweat and tears.

A wise choice kemo sabe!  If I was looking to buy and found a thread showing every single detail AND get a feel what kind of human being the seller is, I'm in!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Dino on June 13, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 13, 2012, 05:24:02 PM
Yeah probably gonna link the thread.  It shows all the work I did, and did anal correct and show's how the last two years have been great since my sweat and tears.

A wise choice kemo sabe!  If I was looking to buy and found a thread showing every single detail AND get a feel what kind of human being the seller is, I'm in!
Yeah that's the way I see it now.  It starts out bad, but the detail of what I did to do the car right shines through.  That also allows me to keep the ad short, here go see the link it tells it all.

1969chargerrtse

So I just sat down and did a whole for sale thing for this car.  Everything in detail, everything in paragraphs.  Everything got erased.  :brickwall:  I'm done for now.
Even selling it breaks my chops.  :eek2:

tpetty

Well,
I can give you a buyer's perspective because I've been looking for one for a year.  My goal car is pretty specific though.  I was actually directed to this thread as a car to consider.

While I know a lot of the guys on this forum are gearheads, and can restore things themselves, fix anything, etc. -- MOST people are not.  I grew up on a farm and had to overhaul a couple engines growing up -- but don't realistically have the knowledge/skills to do a great job on a classic car.  Therefore, I will have to pay to have things fixed.  When you mention things not being hooked up, parts missing, etc -- all I see are dollar signs that I have to add to the purchase price, with a lot of labor cost since I can't do it myself.  While I love muscle cars, and have owned a few, I don't do more than minor things to them myself.  I don't believe that owning/appreciating the cars and having great mechanical skills always go hand in hand.

Therefore, to appeal to a wider buying audience, I would recommend fixing/hooking up the things that you can that don't require a large monetary cost.  The time you spend to do this will probably pay for itself by increasing the numbers of people interested in the car.  Good luck with the sale  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 13, 2012, 08:36:39 PM
So I just sat down and did a whole for sale thing for this car.  Everything in detail, everything in paragraphs.  Everything got erased.  :brickwall:  I'm done for now.

OR!! Maybe someone is trying to tell you something......
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on June 13, 2012, 09:02:14 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 13, 2012, 08:36:39 PM

OR!! Maybe someone is trying to tell you something......
Yeah but to late.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270997975721#v4-44

If I made any major screw ups tell me fast so I can make changes.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 13, 2012, 12:16:33 PM
Quote from: Dino on June 13, 2012, 12:12:04 PM
Honestly, if I were to pay $35K I'd want things like backup lights and console fixed.  Not because it's costly to fix but because it would make me wonder what else is wrong.
No heat and a/c would be okay if it would just need to be hooked up but missing parts may scare some people.

Of course it's better to be honest than to not mention those things but I would opt for repairing as much as possible first.

Also post the link to your resto thread and tell potential buyers that it was a lemon and you turned it into a reliable driver.  
See. Now to me the little things are not an issue and makes me believe the seller is honest and the rest of the car is great. To post the link may scare people away thinkIng it was a lemon. We all think different.

I agree with this. Calling out the little things make the bigger things seem fine.

Also, break up that paragraph into at least 3 or 4.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tpetty on June 13, 2012, 09:02:04 PM
Well,
I can give you a buyer's perspective because I've been looking for one for a year.  My goal car is pretty specific though.  I was actually directed to this thread as a car to consider.

While I know a lot of the guys on this forum are gearheads, and can restore things themselves, fix anything, etc. -- MOST people are not.  I grew up on a farm and had to overhaul a couple engines growing up -- but don't realistically have the knowledge/skills to do a great job on a classic car. Therefore, I will have to pay to have things fixed.  When you mention things not being hooked up, parts missing, etc -- all I see are dollar signs that I have to add to the purchase price, with a lot of labor cost since I can't do it myself. While I love muscle cars, and have owned a few, I don't do more than minor things to them myself.  I don't believe that owning/appreciating the cars and having great mechanical skills always go hand in hand.

Therefore, to appeal to a wider buying audience, I would recommend fixing/hooking up the things that you can that don't require a large monetary cost. The time you spend to do this will probably pay for itself by increasing the numbers of people interested in the car. Good luck with the sale  :2thumbs:
I think there's a miss understanding here.  I don't care that the A/C is not connected.  I never wanted hoses all over my car.  If I wanted A/C I would have a classic air kit put in.  I don't want the heat on.  I have it off for a reason.  To me the car is a cruiser and I like it just the way it is.  I can throw another back up switch in, and screw the console cover on, that stuff is not even mentionable to me to be honest.  Boy if everyone had to list everything as honest as I'm hearing nothing would sell.  All of a sudden everyone should be a honest used car seller.  I got screwed royal and handled it.  If you can't fix cars, do not get a 40 year old Mopar.

1969chargerrtse

Nickrc3

Rob, upon reading this thread I was saddened to learn you had lost interest in your Charger.
I do wish to express my 'thanks' in providing all that valuable information in your earlier detail thread. Your time and effort in posting the text and pics over all those years is greatly appreciated. It certainly has been an inspiration in my recent purchase and continued improvements.

I've been luring on this site for several months now, and made an acquisition last January very similar to your Charger. Had I not made this purchase, I'd probably be wiring funds to your account in the morning. I certainly hope your patience prevails and you wait for your price. Honestly, I believe your vehicle will quickly sell at your price of 35K$.

I paid $29,500.00 for this 69 'XS' delivered to my driveway in January. In five months I've completely restored the engine compartment, rebuilt the engine and restored the instrument cluster/console.

The 68' - she's a 'Flintstone' mobile and will be my retirement project in 3 years. Purchased as my 1st car @ age 16 (1976) for $125.00, she's an original 4-speed, big block, Dana equipped.

I apologize on the hijack, but again, wish to thank you for all your contributions throughout the years.
Maybe you'll have a change of heart and keep her?

Regards,
            NICK

tpetty

Quote "I got screwed royal and handled it.  If you can't fix cars, do not get a 40 year old Mopar."

Not trying to be negative to the car -- just trying to be helpful.  Those little things that you can do in a minute, that you think are meaningless, may be important to some buyers.  

I strongly disagree that someone who is not an excellent mechanic and body man shouldn't enjoy driving a classic.  I have a '70 Challenger and '70 GS455 in the garage - they have already been restored - and when they need work I simply have the local mechanic do it.  He loves working on these cars.  Doesn't take away from my enjoyment driving them at all.

Bob T

RTSE, Stay your course, you've made your decision so now stick to it.
Good luck with the sale , its a fine looking car
Old Dog, Old Tricks.