News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about selling my Charger R/T Final UPDATE.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 11, 2012, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

This should stir a few thoughts. Believe it or not I'm thinking about selling my car. I'm thinking about getting a 2002 trans am Convert.  I miss having a convertible and I'm look forward to newer comforts and better gas mileage.  I lived the dream of owning this car for a good amount of time, it may be time to let someone else live the dream.

Thoughts? Here's the body style I like but it must be red.  
One of the reasons is we will have 2 kids in college in just 2 years.  To have a car of this value sitting in the garage just to grab a cup of coffee is not gonna go over well.  If I sell it and buy the sexy trans am I'll have a car of less value but just as much fun and I can use the balance to side the house.  Works for me.  Why this car?  It's a American Muscle car with a drop top and scoops, hideaways, rumble, and much better comfort.  My A/C is not connected.  Better gas mpg, safety features etc....
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1968_Charger

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1968_Charger on June 11, 2012, 07:35:37 PM
I hope this is a joke  :rotz:
No.  No it's not.  I didn't think I'd get high fives, but I had to post it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

aussiemuscle

Make sure the kids didn't have expectations of getting the charger. it's your car, and while a firebird would be nicer, it wouldn't be the same eye-catching machine as the charger.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: aussiemuscle on June 11, 2012, 07:44:23 PM
Make sure the kids didn't have expectations of getting the charger. it's your car, and while a firebird would be nicer, it wouldn't be the same eye-catching machine as the charger.
Well, yes and no.  Of course not as eye catching but I was on a Pontiac site and these owners loved the cars and stated how they were eye catchers as they were driving them also.  If I saw one I'd defiantly take a 2nd look at it.  The front is just so over done with scoops and curves, I love the look. But not fair to try to compare the two at the same level.

I kinda make it 6 years with a car and then I start wandering.  I've been repairing cars my whole life and I'm looking forward to something more turn key.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Aye Carumba :rotz:

FWIW my friend Ronnie owned a sweet '02 Trans Am with the WS6 package in Pewter Metallic.  Pretty fast car & handled real nice.  It was an automatic...sold it a few years ago & practically "gave" it away :slap:

Hey look....my old '92 GT Mustang 'vert in the background ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 11, 2012, 07:53:55 PM
Aye Carumba :rotz:

FWIW my friend Ronnie owned a sweet '02 Trans Am with the WS6 package in Pewter Metallic.  Pretty fast car & handled real nice.  It was an automatic...sold it a few years ago & practically "gave" it away :slap:

Hey look....my old '92 GT Mustang 'vert in the background ;)
That's sharp.  :2thumbs:

Here's a guy talking about power on a forum a few years back  

" I was lucky enough to buy one of these bad boys in Metallic Navy Blue. The 2001 Trans Am WS6 is not a car to dismiss lightly. Kids see this ride on the road and think its a typical V6 Firebird. So they try to embarrass you by speeding past you while you're doing 75 mph. You grin and put your foot down rising to the challenge. Before they've registered that the new noise they hear is the car they just passed, you've gone from 75-110 mph in less than 3 to 5 seconds. And they're already looking at your tail lights again. At 75 mph the engine is just a hair over 2,000 RPM in 4th gear. I knew another WS6 owner that made the mistake of downshifting to 3rd at 75...the tires broke traction and started smoking... Its a hard core ride, rice-burners don't even fit into the picture. "

I did say thinking. Probably best to test ride one first.

cdr

not to rain on your parade ,those cars are crapppp,door skins fall off rattle trapp junk,just a little step up from my 1985 iroc rattle trap, at least my door skins dont break & crack,7.5 ring & pinion,they do break,if you have to have one,get a low mileage non abused one & yes its for sale
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: cdr on June 11, 2012, 08:00:19 PM
not to rain on your parade ,those cars are crapppp,door skins fall off rattle trapp junk,just a little step up from my 1985 iroc rattle trap, at least my door skins don't break & crack,7.5 ring & pinion,they do break,if you have to have one,get a low mileage non abused one
That's why I posted it here.  Looking to see what people think.  On my way to pick my daughter up at Cheer leading I saw one in a driveway.  I met the owner and he showed me the car.  The door was solid and tight.  I was impressed with what I saw.  It was a V6 firebird nothing special but seemed solid  He loved it.

cdr

if you do have to get one, put sub frame connectors on it the day you get it,that will help it from becoming a total piece of crap after it gets some miles on it
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

1969chargerrtse

I wouldn't buy the 82 body style GM cars, they were rattle junk but the 2002 is much different from what I'm seeing.
Here's a sweet one on eBay. :drool5:

cdr

if you get one ,like i suggested,do the frame connectors & do not slam the doors,keep the hinges & latch lubricated,and the weather strips :Twocents: they dont break the tires loose at 55,65,75 mph,stock it's a 13.5 car with drag radials 

terrible one

Really like those WS6 cars a buddy of mine has one and though nowhere near stock it is FUN and impressive. Whatever floats your boat man :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

DC_1

Keep the Charger and buy the Firebird as another toy. You'll probably get tired of the Firebird after a summer or 2 anyway.

dads_69

Well I vote yes for you getting something your more compfortable with. I haven't owned a charger in over a year & a half now. Bought a couple Ford Lightnings and had just as much fun with them as I did all my mopars I've ever owned. With that said, someday I'll get another mopar and goodluck finding your new ride!
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Darkman

Only you can make the decision. If that is what you feel, then do it. Don't hold onto the Charger then regret it down the line.

My opinion (and it is only my opinion), is I don't really like the front end of these cars, the scoops just kill it, but if you like it, then go for it!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on June 11, 2012, 08:55:16 PM
Keep the Charger and buy the Firebird as another toy. You'll probably get tired of the Firebird after a summer or 2 anyway.

I like this idea. Then after a year or two if you still want to sell the Charger, you won't have any regrets. I can't tell you how many stories I hear of guys that sell their cars (especially Chargers) and regret it immensely. I've been there myself on a car or two.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

duanesterrr

My parents have a 02 ws6 6 speed black convertible with 8800 miles.  It is a blast to drive... I have often thought about getting one for a daily driver as theirs is lucky to see one tank of gas a year.

That is one tough for decision... No way I would send the charger down the road though!

TheGhost

Gotta soft spot for those Trans Ams.  A couple of friends had them back in the day.  Great cars, just not sure I'd trade a 69 RT/SE for one.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

charger_fan_4ever

LS1 cars are great mechanically lots of power. Can't do the rest of it though. Sat in a 99 SS camaro last year and it felt like i was laying down to drive just like in the gta trans am i had. Nose on these beasts are so long you can't see the tip.

I hear you on the cruiseability with overdrive and efi/AC yada yada. I just bought a 91 mustang LX notchback with HCI to have fun with till the charger is on the road.

Another vote for buying the LS1 car and keeping the charger. Replacing a newer "muscle car" is a lot easier than replacing a second generation. Especially a 69 R/T. The way I see it the money invested in a charger you will get more back on the dollar than a newer car like a trans am.

Check over on ls1tech.com. Last fall there were lots of moddified F bodies 98+ in the 5-7k range.

myk

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on June 11, 2012, 08:55:16 PM
Keep the Charger and buy the Firebird as another toy...

"Or" as a very capable 'DD...

I agree with this completely-and it's also what I did.  The 2nd Gen Charger is a dream come true but the 4.1 generation Ram-Air Firebird has also been a heart throb for me, and this is also why I own both cars.  The statements about the 4.1 Generation F cars being rattle traps and all that jazz are highly exaggerated; sure, their fit and finish won't match a Lexus or even a newer Huyndai but...these are muscle cars that promise cheap speed not razor sharp build quality.  Besides, their designs reign from the 90's!

'OP I understand your reasons for wanting to sell the Charger, they are all good ones.  However, if you love your Charger as much as I do you will regret doing so.  Please consider buying the F-bird as a stable mate.  I have daily-driven my Ram-Air Bird for over 4 years now, with the 'odo just turning 104,000 miles and it's still SOLID.  I have nothing but praise for the car in its paper-filter stock form.  The LS1 powered F car is a legend in its own right considering that it's a 13 second car BONE STOCK but can easily give you 27 mpg on the freeways; the car doesn't mind the twists, either.

In summary, the Charger and the 4.1 Generation Firebird are both great cars and I love them to death-I could not imagine a life without either one.  I hope that you feel the same way, but if you don't feel that way about your Charger maybe it is time to let it go.  Personally, I hope you get both and love them accordingly...

tan top

:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:        noooooooooo   no sell the charger   :o  

i do like these  though , but  not  in a  convertable  ,  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RED-TAUPE-LEATHER-T-TOPS-RAM-AIR-PERFORMANCE-HANDLING-PKG-FACTORY-HURST-SHIFTER-/110896541987?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d1f2f123

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-WS6-RAM-AIR-LS1-6-SPD-1-OWNER-ALL-SERVICE-RECORDS-/110894926024?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d1da48c8

would love to own any one in the above links as well as the charger , IF i had the dough

BUT
sell the charger to get one of these  :coocoo: , crazy !!  :yesnod: , think with in 2 minutes , of  seeing the charger rumble off down the street with its new owner , you will regret it  :icon_smile_blackeye:

good luck what ever you decide Rob  :cheers: :cheers: :yesnod:  

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Nice to see most of you agree the trans am is a cool car.  :2thumbs:  I went through this when I sold the vette to buy the Charger. EVERYONE thought I was crazy.  Even one of my mopar friends that ownes several classic Mopars said " don't sell the vette for a 69 Charger "  Now my Charger picture hangs on the wall in his shop.  :lol:
Money plays a big roll in this.  I'm lucky to be able to hold on to the Charger in these hard times.  No way ever could I afford to buy the Trans am and keep the Charger.
2 kids are getting ready for college in 2 years.  If that expensive car is sitting in the garage for coffee runs, the wife is gonna see a target on it.  But if I sell it now, take 20k and buy a cool American classic drop top ( which will defiantly be collectable soon ) and put the balance towards siding our chipped painted house, it's all good.   I'm at the thinking point right now.  If I find one to test ride and it's not what I thought or I hate the feel etc, then I'll pass.  The 8 mpg in the Charger bugs me, and I'm getting tired of working on old cars.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 11, 2012, 07:34:01 PM
Thoughts? ...

I would think your V2 would look great next to my V2... Too bad you didn't want a C500 to get you into the aero-world..  :icon_smile_big:

Life is too short not to go after the things you enjoy, even at the sacrifice of a Charger..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection