News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 to 518 swap questions

Started by randy73, June 14, 2012, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Anybody WITH a 71-74 Charger do the swap?

Would like to know how you did your cross member and pics if possible.

Also, would like to know how you did the shifter bracket for the center console shifter.

And what u-joint you went with for the slip yoke to driveshaft yoke?

Anybody use the deluxe PATC kit, would love to know how well it works?

Thanks

Paul G

Search is my friend.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,83724.0.html

I am still hammering out the details. Make sure the trans is high enough in the tunnel, and set off center to the passenger side just like the old one. Take lots of measurements before you remove the old tranny.

The PATC kit works well, it is a good starting point. I am using an adjustable pressure switch, fine tuned, to operate the OD. I am still using the PATC switch with a 5 second timer to operate the lock up. Had to do this to get the trans to stop "hunting" when at cruise speeds, around 45 to 50 MPH. I think this problem is due to my 3.91 gears.

The speedo cable will rub on the frame member that the trans cross member mounts to, right at the cross member mounting bolt. confusing? I am about to re-drill a hole for the mounting bolt, moving it over an inch or two, then hammer in the frame member to gain clearance for the speedo drive. Just that little bit of cantact between the speedo drive and the frame is transmitting vibration in to the car.

If you use the adapter plate to go from small block to big block, the trans will sit futher back, then you may not have the speedo cable issue?

Using a floor shifter may be a bad idea, I don't know? I am using column shift, and the trans sits high in the tunnel. Check it out thoroughly.

When installing the trans you will have it mounted up, and taken back down a few times, marking the floor tunnel where it needs to be hammered out. Plan on it.  

It is a lot of work, but worth it.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

randy73

I read all the swap threads, but they never answered my questions.

Was looking for specifics on cross member specs people used.

So did you use the deluxe kit and go back to the switch?

flyinlow

Switch es.

7290 u joint

pictures. posted somewhere.

66-72 Chargers are antique automobiles ,73-78 Chargers are modern isolated K frame vehicles with a separate t bar crossmember  :rofl:. They will have different fitment issues.

randy73

Thank you, wouldn't happen to have any specs on your crossmember??
I saw your thread, but I did not see any pics of your cross member off the car.

flyinlow

OK , this is secret stuff, no sharing with pre 73 owners.

randy73

Thank you, that is what I wanted to see.

flyinlow

The trans crossmember interferes with the speedo cable. If you do not plan on using the speedo (GPS for example)the mods to the would be less. John Kunkle said there is an offset speedo housing that might work better. The front is just a heavy section of angle iron welded on and drilled to except the "92 Chevy 1500 PU trans. mount . This mount bolts right inplace of the origonal Mopar mount. I did use a 20 inch extention to my speedo cable due to the A518 being longer and rerouting the cable. I bought a spare trans, crossmember on ebay before I started. The tailshaft is a snug fit. 1/4 inch in a couple places. The torsion bar crossmember is separate on a '73, so the twisting moment of the t bar anchor is not handled by the trans. crossmember like it is on earlier cars. have The t bar crossmember did not require any mods. I did take it off to install the trans. Did some corrosion control while doing this swap. I have Hooker Comp headers ,they clear the A 518 just like a 727. I have a Hurst Quarter Stick 2 cable shifter . It works fine with the A518.
It took me a weekend with a lift, two helpers, a MIG welder,mini grinders, misc. steel for fabrication.     Worth it!!!
Don, t forget 3/8 inch cooler lines and a good cooler.