News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission plan... Feedback?

Started by Calif240, June 12, 2012, 08:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

Guys, first off thanks for all the info w my current struggles on the drivetrain. In further research I'm looking at possibly doing the following and wanted your alls expertise and advice. I've got a small block in the car now, tranny just went out. Im putting a big block in in about 12-18 months once I finish building it. That being said I don't want to spend a lot on the tranny rebuild just to ditch the small block. So... I'm thinking I will have my BB 727 built for high performance and just change out the bellhousing to a SB. Install the 727 w SB bellhousing and then 12-18 months later when the new engine goes in, just change out the bellhousing back to a BB bellhousing. From everything I've read there is no difference between the BB and SB 727s except the bellhousing. Does this plan seem feasible? In my mind it saves the most money in the long run.

Thanks guys
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Calif240

Btw... I know the case is a one piece, so I'm looking at the ultra-bell which can be unbolted and then bolted right back on... Link shows what I'm talking about here

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0105_727_torqueflite_automatic_transmission_models/photo_02.html

Troy

Seems like a lot of work for little or no benefit. Why not just buy a small block 727? You can generally find them (around here at least) for $100-200 in working condition. No need for an Ultra Bell unless you are going to an A518 (which never had a big block pattern).

What's in your car now? I have a working 904 that you can have cheap (and I'm just down the road in Cincinnati).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Calif240

I have a 904 in it now. I would be much obliged for the 904. Basically I just don't want to spend a bunch of money to replace my tranny just to turn around and ditch it for a BB. Should I PM you? I really appreciate it.
Terry

Troy

Sure, send me a PM. I'll be over at the garage tonight and I can take some pictures and pull the pan.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

You have to weigh the cost of the Ultrabell over the option of procuring a BB case and just switching the guts when you decide to change over to BB....depends a lot on what you can do yourself and what you have to pay to have done.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Calif240

John... Great point, hasn't considered that, thanks.

Troy, sent you a PM... I appreciate it.