News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

89 daytona reviews

Started by 70rr 69ch, June 10, 2012, 06:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70rr 69ch

Hi guys wondering if anybody's into these cars looking at one now. Are parts hard to?thanks :cheers:

Charger RT

we just drug an 89 daytona home also have a 92 daytona iroc R/T and a 93 daytona iroc R/T plus a 95 lebaron convertible.

To me the parts are more available in the mid west here in florida cars are spread out and hard to find anything near by. But ny, pa, ohio, wi, il ks, tn and a little in the northeast seem to be where the parts are. check out www.turbododge.com and www.turbo-mopar.com some of the members are on both sites. my user name is the same on both of those sites as it is here.

Is the one your looking at turbo? There are some parts that are hard to find floor pans are not being made and many of these cars rusted out. some weather stripping is hard to find good used since nos is few and far between. Go fast parts are out there. We are taking the 89 tbi auto we picked up and making it a 2.5 turbo 5 speed.
Tim

70rr 69ch

Looking at 89 with 110000 km stored indoors.I've had k cars of all kinds love them.it's a none turbo car,wondering if the2.4 in my spirit will hook up :shruggy:

Chryco Psycho

I had an 88 Shelby Z , it was horrible , I could barely get 2 days driving out of it between fixing it one of the least reliable cars I have owned , spent more time riding my bike & walking than actually driving it .
I actually really enjoyed driving it , it had decent Handling ,power & milage on the days it actually ran !!

Indygenerallee

I loved those cars!! I had a 85 Daytona Z, 88 Daytona, 91 Daytona, great cars you can't beat a 2.2 Turbo one of the most reliable Mopar engine ever, I had the 88 when I learned to drive and beat it like it owed me money and the little 2.2 Turbo kept trucking!!! Love em' I am always on the lookout for a clean one but seems like everyone I come across is a rusted out hulk anymore.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

kab69440

I love G body Daytonas. I gave up on the turbo cars, though. I got sick of replacing head gaskets every third month. Still have an 89 2.5/ 5 T-roof in the driveway that the local dealer refers to as "The Frankenstein Car" because it has something off every one of the eleven Daytonas I have owned on it.  85 Z nose, 83 Charger hood scoop, 92-93 lower plastic, 90 ES rear bumper, turbo package equal length half shafts, Z leather interior- the list is endless.

Sadly, the car is no longer street-worthy. Six years of being beat to death down rutted Morrow county cowpaths( what passes for roads over there) to work and back have taken their toll and most of the spot welds holding the nose together are separating. It's only a matter of time until it collapses to the pavement. Just waiting for a clean southern tub to avail itself to start over.

The 89 in particular is my favorite because of the dash design and good tail lights. It's the best looking of the G bodies. I despise the pre 87 tail lamps.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

chargerboy69

I had three 86-91 Daytonas back in the "I only buy Mopar" years.  Two out of three were complete junk, both Turbo cars were terrible.  The non-turbo car was not as bad. The interiors were so uncomfortable, dash layout was crap, junk transmissions, really bad torgue steer, head gaskets, oil leaks, burning oil, headlights quit going up and down, sagging headliners, junk A/C, power window issues and bad paint are a few of my fondest memories about them. I would not take one if they were handing them out for free.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Charger RT

Quote from: 70rr 69ch on June 10, 2012, 08:33:22 AM
Looking at 89 with 110000 km stored indoors.I've had k cars of all kinds love them.it's a none turbo car,wondering if the2.4 in my spirit will hook up :shruggy:
they are now fitting the 2.4 to the 2.2/2.5 trans and dropping them in. check out the two web sites I listed.
Tim

Indygenerallee

I always thought it would be a killer sleeper to have a old Aries K 4 door and swap in a SRT-4 engine!!!  :lol: :smilielol:

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Indygenerallee on June 10, 2012, 06:07:26 PM
I always thought it would be a killer sleeper to have a old Aries K 4 door and swap in a SRT-4 engine!!!  :lol: :smilielol:

Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT6tPsMfjI
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

moparstuart

we have several and have tons of parts if you need anything
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger RT

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on June 10, 2012, 07:12:10 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on June 10, 2012, 06:07:26 PM

Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT6tPsMfjI
that was Gus he called the car relentless. He was going fast with turbo dodges before the aftermarket was making anything for these cars. He did it all the hard way.
http://www.gusmahon.org/
his relentless is under the hall of fame 10 second link
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/
Tim

Indygenerallee

Yeah I think the video of the Aries K vs. Supra is a 2.2 Turbo.

kab69440

Yeah, that's Gary D. from Moparts. He typed out an entire diatribe about the events of that day. Apparently he believes if the Supra driver hadn't blown the launch, he might have had his lunch eaten for him. The Supra apparently finished with a higher top speed than he did. Supra was bragged to dyno 700hp. Reliant guesstimated at 400+hp. It was a great read, but I came up empty searching Moparts. The thread was titled something to the effect of " Let's talk K cars".
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

jaak

I had an 87 with a 2.5 4 cyl. Worst car I have ever owned. I owned it about 4 years, I think it spent more time broke down than it did on the road....seriously!

Jason

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Indygenerallee on June 10, 2012, 08:55:17 PM
Yeah I think the video of the Aries K vs. Supra is a 2.2 Turbo.

Exactly :)  I don't think you'd get much better than a 10 second car for that SRT-4 money :P
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Aero426

I had an '88, 2.5 non-turbo.  Decent car.   If it's not rusty and runs good, go for it.   I would not put any money into it updating to a turbo.   Rust ultimately did my car in about 2004.