News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting rims with plasti-dip

Started by FLG, June 13, 2012, 02:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Hey guys,

Chargers still getting restored so ive been doing things to the BMW. One of which is paint my rims with plasti-dip.

They sell it in an aerosol can in a few basic colors

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

The beauty of the stuff is that you can peel it right off. So you if want to do a temp color change or protect your rims for the winter...its a great investment. Also did my trim and other things here and there...works for everything.

Heres the rims i did, mainly because they need to be re-done but im not going to spend the cash on em atm to have that done.

Heres the rims previously (pics makes em look cleaner than they are)

And how they look painted (will update with better pics soon)

Some betting pics showing texture (if sprayed on normally it would dry smooth, i prefer it like this...wait till your 3rd coat or so before spraying it dry)

Basically clean em up, and spray a coat until there completely covered. Wait 30 minutes and put another coat on, maybe one more if you want. Itll dry to an almost flat finish, which some may like (i dont) so on my last coat or two i spray it dry and get a nice textured look out of it. Also get the back of the rim a bit too, basically try to make it wrap around totally if you plan on leaving it long term as it will be less prone to coming off at its edges.

There are a few downsides

During cleaning use a lint free sponge or shammy...a brush or towel will cause it to grab the fibers and be covered in lint.

Also if you accidentally mess it up, chances are your going to need to peel it all off and respray the whole rim.

Hope that helps you guys. You can paint just about anything and peel it cleanly off if need be. Bumpers, trim, wheels, mirrors...ect

I did it with my previous wheels, holds up well (had it on for 2 months now) and only thing i did was spray a quick coat on to touch things up.

bill440rt

Verrrrrrrry interesting, Frank!   :scratchchin: :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Old Moparz

Quote from: bill440rt on June 13, 2012, 06:28:04 AM
Verrrrrrrry interesting, Frank!   :scratchchin: :2thumbs:

I agree, & looks like it would be good to use on some interior trim to change appearance.  :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bakerhillpins

Quote from: FLG on June 13, 2012, 02:09:40 AM
The beauty of the stuff is that you can peel it right off. So you if want to do a temp color change or protect your rims for the winter..

Those rims don't look like they have a lot of fine details which may make the peeling off more tedious?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

FLG

Thanks guys.

I have em on my basket weave rims which are more intricate... prob would be a bit more work to remove but from experience with removing it from other things, once you start peeling it all comes right off.

Really the more coats the stronger it is so the easier it is to remove

Also you can see if you don't spray the last coat dry to get texture its a nice smooth finish

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj68Jji57w8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Would be cool for some temp "performance hood treatment"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Mmnu5KHo8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ponch ®

Yep...a lot of the guys in the modern car scene have been doing this for a couple of years. Does a nice job on wheels, and i've seen guys use it on random stuff like spoilers, side skirts, etc. Holds up pretty well.

Ive been wanting to plasti-dip the ugly chrome clad wheels on the wife's challenger for a while, but she won't let me do it "until I get some practice". I say "woman...that will be my practice"  :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

myk

Hmmm, cool idea.  The stock chrome on my 97 Z28's wheels is shot-this might be a cool alternative until I figure out what to do with the wheels...

Ponch ®

Quote from: myk on June 14, 2012, 04:19:55 AM
Hmmm, cool idea.  The stock chrome on my 97 Z28's wheels is shot-this might be a cool alternative until I figure out what to do with the wheels...

do it...it's easy and cheap (I think it's like $7 per can and you use 3-4). One thing you gotta be careful (if youre doing it with the tires on) is the masking. You have to peel it off after every coat because if it dries onto the masking, it'll peel off when you pull it. Some guys just use a deck of cards and wedge them between the tire and wheel - it's actually pretty clever.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Aero426

I might try this on my trailer wheels which are chinese chrome (and rusting).

74bluecharger440

INTERESTING you really can just get bored of a color and change it up  without worry.Time to test it out on my kids sunfire

myk

Quote from: Ponch ® on June 14, 2012, 12:30:59 PM
Quote from: myk on June 14, 2012, 04:19:55 AM

do it...it's easy and cheap (I think it's like $7 per can and you use 3-4). One thing you gotta be careful (if youre doing it with the tires on) is the masking. You have to peel it off after every coat because if it dries onto the masking, it'll peel off when you pull it. Some guys just use a deck of cards and wedge them between the tire and wheel - it's actually pretty clever.

Actually....maybe I'll paint the rims on the Charger after it gets back from the body shop until I can afford to get the rims that I really want...

FLG

Its really easy, at home depot its like 5$ a can over here...

All finished up

Brightyellow69rtse

thats nuthin i painted an entire camaro with the stuff haha. it actually looks really good believe it or not.

68X426

Apparently your friend isn't too impressed with the rims.  :icon_smile_cool:

I am though. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

FLG

I've heard about people painting whole cars...too much work

Lol nice eyes, she was tired  :lol:

Thanks!

hatersaurusrex

That's awesome.  I'm about to de-chrome my motorcycle and go blackout/flat balck everywhere I can and I don't want the hassle of stripping chrome for 3 months straight.   How's the durability so far?    Any balance issues on the wheels?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

mauve66

as easy as it is to peel, would it come off easy under water from a hose when washing it??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

FLG

No no not that easy.

All that needs to be done is exercise a little care when washing  you don't need to scrub the heck out of it.

Was on my old rims for probably near 2 months...I did do a little touch up. Also my door mouldings for nearly as long... no issues and I don't wash them any differently than I normally would