News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you ever sent a Charger to the crusher?

Started by BananaDan, June 08, 2012, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever sent a Charger to the crusher?

Yes
29 (41.4%)
No
41 (58.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

BananaDan

Simple question out of curiosity to see who has sent a Charger to the crusher.  If you were in an accident that resulted in crushing, regardless of fault, vote yes.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Indygenerallee

Yep I crushed a 73 a few years back that was just a shell, no room to store it then and should not have started on it. It needed alot of work.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Brock Lee

Never crushed a Charger. Had several that likely were destined for it, but I could just never do it. Sold them for scrap value to guys that really wanted a Charger project. Did they restore them? I don't know. I did my best to keep them around. That is all I could do.

71ChallengeHer

I sent my 70 Barracuda to the crusher. It was a bad wreck. SO I voted no because it wasn't a Charger.

wingcar

I sent a "well used" '66 Charger with the old 318 to the junk yard.....after stripping it of any usable part many years ago.  A friend was going into the Navy and gave it to me as he would have no use for it during the next four years.  My friend hadn't taken much care of the car so it was pretty much used up and not worth restoring.  I still have some parts off that car in my garage.  I sold the engine to a guy that was putting it in of all things a '55 Chevy....he said it bolted right in...go figure.   I will say that I learn a lot about the first generation Charger after disassembling/stripping one down to the bare body which helped later when I restored my '67.     
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

DC_1

I am ashamed to admit, yes....

2 - 69s and a 72. When I think back now all were fixable and in pretty good condition by today's standards. 1 of the 69s was hit in the front and the frame rail was bent. Body was in decent shape but I stripped it and sent it to the junk yard. The other 69 needed trunk floor, lower quarters and a right front fender. It was a 318 car I picked up for $400. I stripped it and sent it to the junk yard as well. The 72 was in real good shape but I was only interested in the HP stamped 440 engine, 727 trans and rear diff. I pulled those and the interior and had the rest taken away.

Mind you, this was in the early 80s when these were just old used cars that you could pick up for $400 - $800. The same cars in the same condition would probably be $6000-10,000 now. And in the 2004-2007 craziness would probably have sold for $12-15k

.....who knew!

RallyeMike

I stripped various parts and then drove /6 74 Charger hardtop to the junk yard once. I got $65 for it.
I asked: "You'll restore it, right?". He said "Ya. Were going to put it in the big orange restorer out back.".
Before everyone gets upset, the trans was toast, the engine was on it's last legs, the interior was shot, the body full of dents, and it was 20 years ago.

The other one, which could probabaly consider as crushed... was a 72 318 hardtop that I sold. I first sold the entire nose, cut off with a torch at the firewall to a stock car racer. Two weeks later he came by and bought the back half of the car with the intention of welding it back together.  :eek2:  :shruggy:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bill440rt

Only sent one (a '70) to a crusher.

This was at least 15 years ago, no title, and it was already cut in half. This was after any usable parts were stripped/cut off of it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Tilar

Early 90's I took a plain jane 73 318 car to the scrap yard. I had sold some property where it was sitting along with my 68 and 72 SE Brougham. I had room for two of them but not all three, and since the 73 was what it was it went to the scrap yard. All the car needed was a transmission but it did run good. I tried to sell it right up to the last day before they took posession of the property but no go, they wanted it gone.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ITSA426

I've probably squashed a dozen but don't feel so bad.  These cars weren't worth saving in any form.  One broke in half when we pulled it out of the woods; one had a tree growing through it when I found it.  I've saved anything that could be saved.  The cars I parted donated lots of useful parts and still live on in other cars.  No hemis, valuable or rare cars were harmed.  Even today they wouldn't be worth keeping.

Old Moparz

Only sent one to the crusher, a 1970 after I stripped most of it around 1982 if I recall.   :shruggy:

It was originally a 440, auto w/ console, A/C car that I paid $250 for, & drove for about a month. There are parts I used & sold, & a few I kept & still have, like a mint hood for my Daytona replica, although that wasn't the intention when I saved it. I tried to get $40 at swap meets several times & glad nobody bought it. Still have some misc dash trim & wiring, the open 8-3/4" rear & even the windshield that has spent more years hiding in my basement than ever out in the sun.

Stuff I sold off it reeeeeeeally cheap back then, like the radiator for $15, the entire front bumper with brackets, mint grille, headlight doors, & other related parts for $10. The pair of doors went for $7.50 because that was all the guy & his friend had between them when they emptied their pockets.  :lol:  Sold the '68 383 that was in it as a core for $50, the seats for $20 or so, & the deck lid for $5. I used the trans in a 1966 New Yorker that my sister drove. She got about 2 years out of it before she sold the car.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

71charger_fan

I scrapped a '71 coupe and a '73 SE. The first one cost me about $150, the second $50.

Mytur Binsdirti

I crushed a '69 Charger and a 69 Road Runner 20+ years ago & I can honestly tell you that it was much better than many of the cars I see being restored here.   :smilielol:

gschmidt211

Yes.  In my efforts to rebuild my '72 Rallye, I have gone through two '72s.  The first was a base Charger, 318 car.  It was rotten in every area possible and the front end took a pretty good hit underneath, so the red support and radiator were bent pretty badly.  I parted it and ended up cutting it and most of the sheet metal went to the scrap yard.  The second one is in my garage right now.  It is a '72Rallye as well.  Not too much left of the car as I bought it from someone who used the hood, doors and interior for his project.  The sheet metal that was left was a bad and the frame was really bad in a few places.  On top of the poor shape of the body, it had no title.  It is a B5 blue, full vinyl top car and would probably be really cool if redone.  I have this one half gone.  Everything from the center of the doors forward has been scrapped (minus what was usable).  I am transferring the vinyl top holes and removing the reared and sway bar and after that, the rest of it goes to the crusher.

So out of two cars that went to the crusher, my car will make it to the road someday.

1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

Old Moparz

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 08, 2012, 10:56:26 AM
I crushed a '69 Charger and a 69 Road Runner 20+ years ago & I can honestly tell you that it was much better than many of the cars I see being restored here.   :smilielol:

Sadly that's the same with the one I scrapped.   ::)

Back when I scrapped it, replacement parts didn't exist. The way you got parts were from the junk yard, swap meets, or parts cars. The '70 Charger I bought was a 12 year old, running & driving car even though it was getting rough. Some sheet metal parts were good, like the hood I kept, but a lot were starting to get bad like the lower parts of the quarters & fenders. It had tons of bondo in the quarters, too.

Most of us seemed to take for granted that these things would always be around, but slowly they disappeared over the years.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

cdr

i allowed a 68,69 to get crushed & sent a 68 rt in 1979
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

If you did everything you personally could to "save" said Charger and sold it for a possible resot project, then found out it was eventually scrapped anyway, isn't that kinda "Sending a Charger to the scrapper", round about way, but it certainly wouldn't have been scrapped if you hadn't sold said Charger correct? :shruggy:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

DAY CLONA

I've sent many 66-74 Charger to crusher/scrap yard, along with 300+ E body carcasses parted out over the last 30+ years, back in the day we didn't have "resto" parts so a lot of us guys ran small businesses parting out cars, I specialized in E bodies,....but any Mopar that turned a $$$ was fair game....

Chad L. Magee

No, but I have cut one up (base model 318 70) completely for parts though.  A friend sent two rough 69 shells to the crusher a decade ago because he did not have space for them and no one was interested in buying them that he knew.  I did not have space for them or they would have went my way cheap.  They were plain 318s, but he does regret that now since he needs a nice roof for one that he is fixing....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Charger RT

In 1980 I totaled a 383 69 I scrapped. I still have the hood, front bumper, and both doors from it. The lighting package and wood wheel are in my 68 R/T

In 1983 my brother thought I wanted to scrape a green 68 R/T I had and sent a truck for it. It did need the engine and trans rebuilt plus the L/R quarter was hit pretty hard. I still have the block, heads, crank. and cluster.

In about 89-90 I had a 71 with a 318. Started knocking on the way home from work I know the oil was full and still had pressure on the gauge had frame rail rot so I figured let see how far it goes. It threw a rod out the side of the block 300 yards from the house. It rolled to the driveway. Called my brother in-law at the junk yard to come get it. That weekend I pulled the hideaways, disc brakes, spindles, K frame, and sway bar. I later sold the hideaways but the K frame, sway bar, spindles and disc brakes are on my 68 R/T

Tim

HANDM

My wifes original triple black 383 4 barrel went to the crusher after a tree took out the top, fender, frame and so on... Stripped it of everything and most of it still resides in my "mopar shed"

The upper door pads, seats, bumpers, grille, rear dif, tranny and other misc trim live on in the current 69  :2thumbs:

GordonGriggs

I sent a stripped down 1967 dodge charger to the crusher. This car had both quarter panels rusted out from the door all the way back to the rear bumper.Both front and back floor pans were gone. Had a very good front end on it which I saved. I also saved the entire front suspension by just pulling the K frame bolts. Kept 8 3/4 rear, glass, door panels, complete non ac dash and a lot of other small parts.

70sixpkrt

Back in 1982 I had a white 70 Charger with a 383 that I blew up the motor.  I bought it for $500. It had full interior and nice body. I ended up sending it to the crusher.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

nascarxx29

Sent atleast 2 superbirds back in the day parts donors. And some Station wagons a 4drs  ABCDE bodies also
Parts from one became the original parts FM3 superbird convert.Did rescue a 69 500 a local guy sent to junkyard.And found it a new home

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Not a charger though a V Code bird went to crusher
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

djcarguy

wouldn't this bird be fixable now days??   few days on frame rack and new parts??  texas plate ,maybe low on the rust scale??          just dreaming,sad, looked pretty good before it was ass ended..

buckeyecharger

Yes I have  :'( back in 2000. It was a 69 318. Pulled it out of the woods with a tractor in southern Ohio. Paid the guy a case of Bud for it. It was a hell of a deal. Plenty of good parts I stripped off of it. Used a ton of those parts and sold some too. Scrapped the 318, tranny, rear end, steel wheels, the shell (minus firewall, and tail light panel). Unfortunately I did throw out the roof, deck filler panel, and other odds and ends.

hemi-hampton

Back around 1988 sent a nice 73 Charger SE (black, white top) to Junkyard after I pulled the 318 to put in my 70 Charger.  LEON.

GOTWING

I have only sent a 73 Plymouth Satellite 4dr. that was rear ended, I pulled the 318,904,and rear out and put in a brown 73 Charger Rallye I picked up for $200  that the owner had removed the 340 motor and trans out for his Duster. I put the powertrain from the 4 dr. in the Charger and used it as a winter driver, later sold the car, it's a shame because the #'s matching motor and trans is in the Duster. The 8 ¾ rear from the Rallye I got back and it is going in my 73 Charger I had in high school.

Another crazy true story from last summer was a complete one owner 1970 burnt orange GTX that had sat outside forever was sent to Donavan's salvage works in Georgetown De. A motor head friend of mine happened to be there scrapping some stuff and called me and told me about it sitting there inside the fence, he went inside the office and asked them if they would sell it?  they wanted $6,000 for it . By the end of the day a few other Mopar guys found out about it sitting there and the news was going around fast about it being sent there. Well a good honest Mopar guy that I'm friends with called the original owner and said hey man why did you send the X to the junkyard? The orig. owner freaked out on the phone and said what the heck are you talking about !! the owner called the police after realizing it was not a joke, The car was stored all these years at a relative's home and they had sent the car to the junkyard without his knowing, long story short he got the car back and now it resides still outside of course at another relative's property.  :brickwall:

Darkman

Not yet   :nana:

There's been many times recently where the thought has crossed my mind  :rofl:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Fred

Quote from: Darkman on June 13, 2012, 09:15:19 PM
Not yet   :nana:

There's been many times recently where the thought has crossed my mind  :rofl:

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.