News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How bad can it get? Selling old titles.

Started by daveco, April 28, 2012, 10:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveco

R/Tree

charger chris

what good are titles with out the car. come on people?
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

404NOTFOUND

There's a guy around here who goes to all the swap meets with many huge books of old titles. He must have hundreds of them. I never could understand why. :shruggy:
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

daveco

R/Tree

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

kab69440

With all the cars sold minus titles out there, the market certainly exists.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

charger chris

right. comes down to morals :2thumbs: and i hope he has them for the right reason.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger_fan_4ever

Lots of rats in the mopar world. Locally a year or two ago a dude was selling a 69 hemi rr in a box. You got the registration, Vin/fender tag and the body #'s hacked off the car for $9,000. Couldn't believe it was being advertised on the internet.

dixiestillalive

Not that I have done anything twisted like that but in the Hot Rod world it is hard to get your project model T on the road without a title/VIN number in some states like California.  Where I live we don't use titles on older cars, only a bill of sale which is nice if you stay here but you could have difficulty if you moved to one of the anti-old car Nazi states. From what I understand California only issues a few hundred "homemade" car titles per year and they are fought over, especially with aftermarket autobody/rolling chasis folks doing business out there. So In the Charger world, a guy finds a couple Chargers in a junk yard pulls the pieces together to make a car and then uses another title (if necessary) to get it on the road again. Do people scam? yes. Do people save old cars? yes. Think of it as a kind of "organ donation" to keep something that otherwise would have died alive and kicking.

mauve66

i could see a market for people looking for old titles/registrations for THEIR car, when i found the granddaughter of Marys' original owner i was so hoping there was a box somewhere of all that old stuff, but no...............  the original owners husband was in the car parts business too so i would of thought he saved everything but then he died a month or 2 after buying it for her so.............
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Benji

In 1971 I bought a 1931 Model A Ford pickup truck with no title, so I bought a title for $10.00 at a swap meet.  On a Model A the engine number is the ID number for the entire vehicle as they didn't stamp the bodies with any numbers.  After I had the engine rebuilt I stamped the number of the title on the engine boss and got it inspected by the police.  I then got a legit title.  Otherwise unless I had the original engine and title I would have been screwed.  After 40 years can you imagine how many Model A engines were blown up or had cracked blocks due to no antifreeze?  Hundreds of thousands I'm sure.

Benji

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Benji on June 17, 2012, 08:00:59 PM
In 1971 I bought a 1931 Model A Ford pickup truck with no title, so I bought a title for $10.00 at a swap meet.  On a Model A the engine number is the ID number for the entire vehicle as they didn't stamp the bodies with any numbers.  After I had the engine rebuilt I stamped the number of the title on the engine boss and got it inspected by the police.  I then got a legit title.  Otherwise unless I had the original engine and title I would have been screwed.  After 40 years can you imagine how many Model A engines were blown up or had cracked blocks due to no antifreeze?  Hundreds of thousands I'm sure.

Benji

You just admitted to committing a felony.

hatersaurusrex

Statute of limitations = long since passed.

The bad part is someone somewhere will wind up with it and pay big $$$ because it appears original.   Then again, it's not like forgeries aren't all over the place in every aspect of life.   A well-respected museum bought a supposedly ancient statue several years back for something like 7 million dollars, with a leading expert in the field doing the inspection.   If someone wants to believe it bad enough and has the cash, it's a ready market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getty_kouros

Noone has admitted it's a fake, but if you're the dumbass who authorized a 7 million dollar purchase, you're never going to admit that at the risk of committing career suicide.

An old ford truck kind of pales in comparison.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70