News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/c barrier hoses

Started by Dino, June 04, 2012, 12:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I'm so tired of this damn site and its filename already exists crap I think I'm gonna explode.  I sure love retyping everything..... ::)

Here we go again...

I want to convert the R12 system to R134a so I bought a new drier and expansion valve and will be taking apart the rv2 compressor so I can clean it and change the o-rings and fittings.  I'm also installing a new parallel flow condenser so that leaves the hoses.  I do not want to take a chance by reusing the old hoses so I would like to find a new set of barrier hoses.  Problem is, unless it can be fitted with regular tools I won't be able to install them so I would need them to be ready to bolt onto the old system.  Does anyone know where I can find these?  

I also need to extend the steel line on the radiator support so it will mate with the new condenser.  Where do I go for those?

Lastly, what are the little canisters?  Mufflers?  They are part of the old hoses so do they need to be transplanted?

I would love to keep the stock compressor just for the looks of it so I hope it's not too much of a hassle to update this system.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Just heard back from classic air.  Between $60-$150 per hose to restore, there's no aftermarket. I wish they would be a bit more precise though...   

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thats pretty cheap IMHO...I was quoted $325 for both the suction & discharge hoses.  Also they do not use the original style "circular" crimp nor the original type hose material.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 05, 2012, 07:23:53 PM
Thats pretty cheap IMHO...I was quoted $325 for both the suction & discharge hoses.  Also they do not use the original style "circular" crimp nor the original type hose material.

I'll give them a call this week and see what I can find out.  I'm not too picky about originality but it would be a bonus to keep it looking stock.  That's why I want to use the old RV2 compressor.  It's pretty nice to have a V8 AND a V-twin under the hood.   :icon_smile_big:

I'll post back here when I know more.

Dino

I have contacted a few more companies and actually found one that can sell you the hoses and ferrules and you can rent the tool to crimp the connectors

Does anyone know what the stock id and od size of the a/c hoses is?  Or know the number as in #6, #8, #10 or #12?

69 OUR/TEA

I thought you had yours done Chris ??? This is a good topic as I'm getting ready to send mine out for restoring.Anyone with pics,please post !!!!!

gtx6970

I was quoted locally ( over the phone) to figure about $75 to $100 per hose.

I will be taking one there the 1st of the week actually so I will post back

This is removing and replacing the rubber portion of the hose only, any replating of the ends is on me. Mine are a bit to pitted to leave as plated, but once filled, sanded and repainted it will be good

Here is a pretty accurate under ptotos of a 1969 B-body wtih a/c
http://hoffmanswinnerscircle.com/69rtconvertible/Engine_Related_Photos.htm

gtx6970

BTW,
this hose ,,, is small block applications

Dino

Quote from: gtx6970 on June 15, 2012, 04:27:14 PM
BTW,
this hose ,,, is small block applications

Would that be a problem, even after I change the rubber hoses?  I thought all of the hoses and lines were sb applications because it was a 318 car.  Apart from the compressor I thought all the A/C stuff was original to the car.  I don't see why it wouldn't work with those but if I'm wrong then I'm going to save me a lot of headache and buy a retro fit kit!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 15, 2012, 11:06:48 AM

I thought you had yours done Chris ??? This is a good topic as I'm getting ready to send mine out for restoring.Anyone with pics,please post !!!!!

Nope...just cleaned up nicely!

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

AirborneSilva

Dirk, have you thought about going by a local hydraulic shop?  I know they can make up hoses, they might be cheaper  :shruggy:

Dino

Quote from: AirborneSilva on June 19, 2012, 07:35:54 AM
Dirk, have you thought about going by a local hydraulic shop?  I know they can make up hoses, they might be cheaper  :shruggy:

I have tried a few shops but so far I've been running into the most useless life forms on the planet.  One of them said he could give me stainless steel lines for a mere $900!  I told him that all I needed was the rubber replaced with barrier hoses and he looked at me as if I was speaking Chinese.

Out of 4 companies I emailed one gave me a quote that lies somewhere between $60-$150 per hose, he could not be specific, and when I asked him what fittings they used I never got a reply back.

Another emailed me saying try this guy, whih I did and he had no clue why I would want a barrier hose even after I told him I wanted to upgrade from r12 to r134a.  No replyh from the other two.  Amazing...

If this lasts much longer I'm using the old hoses, getting really fed up with this.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on June 19, 2012, 11:34:53 AM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on June 19, 2012, 07:35:54 AM

I have tried a few shops but so far I've been running into the most useless life forms on the planet.  One of them said he could give me stainless steel lines for a mere $900!  I told him that all I needed was the rubber replaced with barrier hoses and he looked at me as if I was speaking Chinese.

Out of 4 companies I emailed one gave me a quote that lies somewhere between $60-$150 per hose, he could not be specific, and when I asked him what fittings they used I never got a reply back.

Another emailed me saying try this guy, whih I did and he had no clue why I would want a barrier hose even after I told him I wanted to upgrade from r12 to r134a.  No replyh from the other two.  Amazing...

If this lasts much longer I'm using the old hoses, getting really fed up with this.

:smilielol:  I understand your frustration, anything out of the norm and most peopel (anymore), just don't have a clue, they can't improvise and or have no imagination  :rotz:

Dino

Can anyone shed some light on the small block vs big block A/C?  Looks like my compressor is for a big block but as pointed out not all the hoses are.  Would this pose a problem once converted to r134a?  Is there something I can do to make it better? I really want to keep the stock system because I love the way it looks but if I have to throw a bunch of money at it just to have it sorta work then I might as well face the music and buy the classic auto air kit.

Dino

Well I can say that I am more than fed up with this whole a/c thing.  Getting a straight answer from these a/c guys is like pulling teeth. 

Turns out someone I work with has a few R12 cans he'll let go for a few bucks so I'm contemplating just leaving the system as is, clean the compressor and lines, find a new condenser and charge it with r12.  Bad idea or go for it?

How many cans would I need btw?

roger440

Quote from: Dino on July 05, 2012, 11:35:45 AM
Well I can say that I am more than fed up with this whole a/c thing.  Getting a straight answer from these a/c guys is like pulling teeth. 

Turns out someone I work with has a few R12 cans he'll let go for a few bucks so I'm contemplating just leaving the system as is, clean the compressor and lines, find a new condenser and charge it with r12.  Bad idea or go for it?

Good idea! It worked back then, it will work now, so long as the system is gas tight.
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

Dino

Quote from: roger440 on July 05, 2012, 03:08:45 PM
Quote from: Dino on July 05, 2012, 11:35:45 AM

Good idea! It worked back then, it will work now, so long as the system is gas tight.

I'll do my best to make it tight but before I fill the system I should vacuum it to see if it holds it right?  I'll have to look up how to do that and I guess I need a set of r12 gauges as well.

AirborneSilva

Any Auto AC shop can pull a vacuum for you, otherwise without their dokickey machine (yeah that's a highly technical term), I don't know how you would pull a vacuum on your own at home  :shruggy:

Dino

Quote from: AirborneSilva on July 06, 2012, 07:14:34 AM
Any Auto AC shop can pull a vacuum for you, otherwise without their dokickey machine (yeah that's a highly technical term), I don't know how you would pull a vacuum on your own at home  :shruggy:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I have a compressor and a shop vac and something tells me that ain't gonna work. 

Good idea, I'll go to a shop for the vacuum part and once I know it's good I'll go back home and fill it up.   :2thumbs:

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on July 06, 2012, 07:16:42 AM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on July 06, 2012, 07:14:34 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I have a compressor and a shop vac and something tells me that ain't gonna work. 

Good idea, I'll go to a shop for the vacuum part and once I know it's good I'll go back home and fill it up.   :2thumbs:

Make sure you put oil in the system too, I know you can get that at any auto parts store.  I was trying to find how much R12 you needed and all I could come up with is that you needed between 2 - 2 1/2 lbs, or 14 oz's.

Dino

That's all?  That's about 1 can isn't it?  I thought I needed 3 or 4. 

Didn't think of checking the shop manual so I'll do that tonight, it must be listed there I would think.

In any case I'm getting at least 12 cans, buying everything my coworker has so I should be good for a while!   :2thumbs:

AirborneSilva

Yeah the articles I could find did say 3 to 4 cans which was confusing  because as you know one can is like 14 - 16 Oz's.......

Dino

When it rains it pours!

I was looking over the hoses yesterday, making sure they are in decent shape and of course one of them ain't....

The short rubber discharge hose that loops around the battery is now in full contact with the, larger than stock, battery and there's about a 1/4" chunk missing.  There's no way this hose will hold under pressure so there's only one thing left to do and that is to cut off all the hoses and fittings, order new barrier hoses and fittings and hope I can find someone locally who can crimp the fittings.  Oh well, maybe it's for the best.  It'll put my mind at ease when the hoses are new.

I'm trying to find a parallel flow condenser that fits and doesn't break the bank.  I did find a place that sells 3 foot lengths of hard line for $17 so that's one thing off the list. 

AirborneSilva

Sounds like you need an umbrella but as you said when you get to the other side of this you will be able to feel confident that you have an AC system that will last for years.