News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stearing rack

Started by Daytona Guy, June 04, 2012, 12:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Do they make a rack and pinion stearing - replacement for a 70 charger? Without changing the K frame and suspention. Also, a HEMI is going in it.

Dane.

cdr

yes they do the one i bought was a unisteer,there is a bunch of post on all kind of problems with this kit,but i fixed all of the problems that it had,and am very glad that i got it,but it does require some fabrication skills to fix what they messed up on the design,if you go this way i will help anyway i can,charlie keel   http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,90903.0.html       some pics towards the end that show the rack
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

Add some caster to the A-arms, weld a couple of specific reinforcements to the steering box mounts on the K-frame, and get a rebuilt/tightened stock PS box.  It will do the same job of tightening up the steering feel with fewer problems/side effects.

There are a bunch of old threads on the ins & outs of doing these things. 

Kern Dog

I have also read that the bolt in rack and pinion setups have a REDUCED range of turning! The cars using the racks dont make as tight of a turning circle as the stock steering because the racks are NOT long enough.

cdr

if ya'll read my post i said i fixed the problems it has,it also was about 50lb lighter
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

HPP

Quote from: cdr on June 04, 2012, 01:42:22 PM
if ya'll read my post i said i fixed the problems it has,it also was about 50lb lighter

Looked through that post. I didn't see any data on correcting turning radius and bump steer issues. I did see where you installed one and you need a new oil pan and headers.

By the way, Nice job on everything .

cdr

Quote from: HPP on June 04, 2012, 02:05:43 PM
Quote from: cdr on June 04, 2012, 01:42:22 PM

Looked through that post. I didn't see any data on correcting turning radius and bump steer issues. I did see where you installed one and you need a new oil pan and headers.

By the way, Nice job on everything .
believe it or not i hate typing,ok 1st thing wrong is the banjo fitting on the pump pressure side,should be a 45 deg not 90 to get the hose away from belt & pulley. 2-the lower stg column shaft & housing has a bearing support that the clamp they send you wont work,2big block chevy rod bearings halves work perfect,you put that part together & then drill 1/4 holes through the clamp & rod bearings & then you can put the factory bearing retainer screw back in & its nice & tight. 3,on the lower balljoints you heat up the area where the tie rod goes & bend it towards the inside so it shortens the length of the steering link of balljoint,all this has to be done without getting the ball seat of balljoint to hot as it will ruin the balljoint,you could just redrill the tapered hole closer to the pivot point to do the same  & have it tig welded to add more material,cause it tapers down smaller where the hole gets drilled .with that done i can raise the front of car & set the toe & lower car & the bump steer is only .025 change total. -4 the ujont assy the send where it connects to the column shaft they say just drill a hole through it & hammer a roll pin in it,NOT ME,i drilled a hole through the coupler so it just goes through the edge of the shaft,i then cut a split in the coupler tapped it for  5/16 hard bolt & tighten it down,now it clamps down hard on the shaft & thats how all the other couplers are made,i dont know why the dident do it that way in the kit,i wasent gonna count on the 1/8 inch roll pin to not break,so now it bolted & safe,any questions & i will try to answer

cdr

i tried to find balljoints with a shorter link arm but no luck,but that does not mean that they dont exist,the parts guys these days dont like to search for oddball things      By the way, Nice job on everything . THANK YOU HPP

autodynamics

Musicman

:haha: I just knew someone was going to have to jump in there somewhere  :lol:

Class dismissed...

cdr

Daytona Guy

It has to work with a HEMI. What is the best product? Or is the old box the best if it is dialed in right?

cdr

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 05, 2012, 12:29:00 AM
It has to work with a HEMI. What is the best product? Or is the old box the best if it is dialed in right?
i missed the hemi part,would have to get custom made headers for the hemi, i dont know if stock manifolds will clear & the drain plug on oil pan has to be on the side ,not at the rear,that said yes