News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How can I find out how much volts a solid state limiter produces?

Started by Dino, June 01, 2012, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I bought the voltage limiter for the cluster from RTE specialties and I need to calibrate my gauges.  If I understand, I need to find out how much volts the limiter lets through and if I can put that exact load on the gauges they will read the max.  If I can hook up a few batteries to give me exactly half then the gauge needles should be dead center.  Is this correct?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

W4ATL

The limiter puts out 5 volts. The proper way to verify gauge operation is to insert different resistances to the gauge inputs. See this link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41563.0.html

billschroeder5842

I just put a solid state limiter in my cluster last weekend. What I've noticed so far is:
1) Temp guage works as it did before
2) Oil Presure reads a bit lower
3) All guages "come on line" slower

I bought it for the peace of mind
Texas Proud!

Cooter

The solid state limiter is only to help keep the gauges opperating at a constant 5 volts instead of the old style "Flasher" type set up that while it worked, it was problematic. I try not to rely on the factory gauges and run aftermarket, Mechanical ones.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

W4ATL

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on June 02, 2012, 01:25:05 PM
I just put a solid state limiter in my cluster last weekend. What I've noticed so far is:
1) Temp guage works as it did before
2) Oil Presure reads a bit lower
3) All guages "come on line" slower

I bought it for the peace of mind

Not sure about the low oil reading  :shruggy:. The homemade limiters that use a 7805 voltage regulator keeps a constant 5 volts on the cluster. This does not mimic the operation of the original mechanical voltage limiter where it will actually put a higher voltage on the cluster and then as it warms up will it will start to pulse down and average 5 volts.

The Real Time Engineering IVR4 has some "smarts" to it where it mimics the operation of the mechanical limiter by applying a higher voltage to the cluster for a short time so the needles react faster. It also operates a bit cooler as the linear 7805 regulator dissipates heat through the case.

I had a mechanical limiter fail in the "open" position so it didn't fry my cluster. It could fail in the "short" position where full 12 volts goes to the cluster and fry it. The solid state limiter is great insurance against failing in the short position. I can't tell the difference in operation from the mechanical and the IVR4. I have them on both my cars.