News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grant Wheel Adapter Plate Removal?

Started by Lighthorseman, May 30, 2012, 09:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthorseman

Well, sorry to bug everyone, but I have yet another lame-ass newbie question.  (Of note, I also posted the same thing over at FBBO and Moparts...)

I'm trying to replace my old turn signal assembly in the steering column, and found a great link showing me how to go about it.  The only problem is that once I get the steering wheel off, I'm faced with some sort of adapter plate for the Grant Wheel the previous owner had on the car.

Has anyone pulled this off before?  I cannot see any definitive mounting system, yet am reluctant to start start prying it out.  Do I need some sort of removal tool?

Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with...

Not a super-great picture, by any means, but I hope it shows the metal centre section - which almost appears to be a simple friction-fit - and a wood-fibre sort of panel behind it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve -

Lighthorseman

So, someone suggested a harmonic balancer puller, so maybe I'll try that. 

Any other ideas?

charger Downunder

[/quote]

Yes, a 3 bolt puller is what you need - a steering wheel puller is best but a harmonic balancer puller will work if it's the only thing you can get your hands on.

Whatever you do don't pound on or pry the adaptor. You risk damaging the collapsable steering shaft if you do.

It's also a good idea to mark the shaft and adaptor with a line so you can put it back in the same position.

Lighthorseman

Thanks for the help!

I found an inexpensive steering wheel puller locally -  :2thumbs: - and hope to get this all swapped out soon.  Will post pictures.   :popcrn: