News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice needed, Purchasing this car long distance?

Started by vick79, June 01, 2012, 10:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

when were those pics taken? A few days ago or 15 years ago?

Bryan

bakerhillpins

Quote from: stripedelete on June 02, 2012, 09:55:58 AM
As a percentage of what you are going to pay for the car, a plane ticket isn't that much.   Pictures are very foregiving.  Find the time.

Yes, find the time. Everything these guys are saying is spot on!  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

vick79

Quote from: A383Wing on June 02, 2012, 04:28:21 PM

Bryan

Earlier this year I believe. Seller says car is *exactly* same condition as those pictures. he also offered to retake with a date stamped camera.
'70 Charger RT

bakerhillpins

Quote from: vick79 on June 02, 2012, 05:02:38 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on June 02, 2012, 04:28:21 PM

Bryan

Earlier this year I believe. Seller says car is *exactly* same condition as those pictures. he also offered to retake with a date stamped camera.

That means nothing. He can just set the date to anything he wanted. Maybe have to use the old ransom deal of putting today's paper in the pic.   :lol:

You have someone to go check it out in person. However I still suggest you fly out to pay for it while it it sitting in front of you.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

charger_fan_4ever

I actually am liking the blacked out tail panel on the 70. its got me thinking. Looks like a decent car and 4 speed :)
Looks like a 35k car to me.

Homerr

Does the seller have any photos of it stripped, i.e. in a body shop?

vick79

Quote from: Homerr on June 03, 2012, 02:55:58 PM

No  :-\

Was done before him.
'70 Charger RT

Dino

That rear valance and ds quarter are a bit of a worry here.  You want to check this one out yourself and if you don't know what to look for make sure you have someone with you who does.  It's too much money to take a chance, you wouldn't be the first to end up with a polished turd.

And once more the gauges are not redone.  For the life of me I cannot understand why people skip this step, it's the one thing you look at all the time!  It's $50 to get brand new decals and it takes a lay person no more than a Saturday afternoon to install.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

66FBCharger

Just my two cents worth.
When I bought my '69 in Detroit  last fall, I spent the money (it was about $400 Hartford to Detroit) to fly out for the day. I wanted to check the car out to make sure it was what the pictures showed and what the seller said it was.
I pre arranged with my credit union to wire the money to the seller's account when I called them. I didn't want to carry a lot of cash with me in case it was a scam and someone was looking to rob me. The seller said he had gotten burned before so he didn't want a check (including bank check since they can be faked). He wanted cash or to have the money wired to his account. I got to the house and checked the car out. It was as the seller described. I called the credit union and the money was in the sellers account within about an hour. I had already called a guy (who happened to live in Detroit) who has transported a few cars for me for a quote. I called him and made arrangements to pick the car up as soon as he could. I left with a bill of sale, title and broadcast sheet. Everything worked out great. The seller was great and honest.
The car arrived about a week later.
Like everyone said, it is better to spend the money on a plane ticket to insure you aren't losing a lot of money on a rustbucket.
I hope things work out for you.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: vick79 on June 03, 2012, 03:08:51 PM
Quote from: Homerr on June 03, 2012, 02:55:58 PM

No  :-\

Was done before him.

Oh this changes things. Sounds like a lot of unknowns. Seeing the valance caps with no seam is a little worrysome along with the wow in the drivers 1/4.

Whats the trunk floor look like ? and do the body #'s match ?

Guess it all boils down to price. I'd say a spotless non #'s match r/t 68-70 is still worth 40k. Since the body isn't spotless start deducting and keep in mind if you dug into it to fix it it could be a whole different ball game and at the end of the day will be well over 40k invested. Not a big blue fan on 2nd gens, but it looks sweet and 4 speeeeeeddd :)

Indygenerallee

The top of that driver door looks too high to myself and I see the bodyline on the quarter to door looks funny. I would bet money it has plenty of filler in it especially with the valance to corners filled like that.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Dino

By the way, the tail stripe is crooked as with most of these 'high end restos' and it's hard to tell but it really looks like the quarter wheel lips are a bit too smooth, ie they may have been filled.

The more I look at it, the more problems I see. 

Is this the car you really want?  I recall you mentioned a 68 was your dream in which case I would simply forget about this one.  Your money will fly out the door with one of these so do not settle for anything but what you want.  Don't fall for the ebay and cl sellers' bs that these cars are more rare than red meat, they're not.  There's still plenty out there.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Dino on June 04, 2012, 10:10:16 AM
Don't fall for the ebay and cl sellers' bs that these cars are more rare than red meat, they're not.  There's still plenty out there.

Ain't that the truth. When I had my old mustang I was amazed to find they made less 91 mustang 5L lx notch backs than 70 charger r/t's and that was the lowest r/t year.

Didn't seem to help the mustang much on resale value though lol.

jessejames

Where in Wis?? I will go look at it for you. Let me know
Jesse