News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No 3rd Gear: Any reason why this would be after a rebuild?

Started by Surf Charger, May 28, 2012, 02:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

My mechanic had a mopar guy rebuild my Torqueflight with a Transgo shift kit. After installation, they couldn't get it to engage 3rd gear. After several adjustments, still no luck. After several adjustments, they ended up pulling the tranny and rebuilding it all over again...changing the valve body. Re-installed....still not 3rd gear.

Any idea what could be causing this? Would something like a cracked case do this? Trying to figure out some ideas to give them. Everything internally looked good...nothing worn out as far as gears.

John_Kunkel

Does Reverse work OK? The front clutch is used in both 3rd and Reverse. If Reverse is also weak the problem is in the front clutch...possibly incorrect seals or sealing rings. An air check can determine that.

If Reverse is OK there are a couple of possibilities, either the TP linkage is set too tight or there is a check ball missing in the VB. Since it does it with two different valve bodies try the linkage. Completely disconnect the TP linkage at the transmission lever and see if it will shift to 3rd....if it does, the linkage needs to be reworked.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Surf Charger

Thanks John. Reverse seems to work fine. I know they have adjusted the linkage multiple times. I will forward this info on. I really appreciate it.