News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Throttle Adjustment

Started by bakerhillpins, May 28, 2012, 08:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

So I found some time to start tinkering with the intake system on the Charger since I know that it's running out of shear will rather than properly.  :lol:  Figured the easiest thing to start with was adjusting the throttle linkage.

Printed out the instructions from the FSM and made a dry run through them before I started poking at stuff. So here is the question that came up:

Can changes to the transmission (say shift kit or whatever) make the throttle linkage adjustment in the FSM invalid? Reason I ask is that the length of the carburetor rod is WAY incorrect. Its dialed out (long) so far that I can't even get the 3/16" rod through the upper bellcrank and lever. The holes are at least 1/2" away from alining. So this thing is really out of wack.  

There are other problems here as I see the PO has the throttle cable return spring connected to the same point as the Kickdown linkage return spring (very end of the throttle arm) and an incorrect throttle return spring post on the front of the block which may be why its connected to the wrong place.

Where would I find a part # on the carb? I can't find any identifying marks on the carb itself, other than a "Carter AVS" facing the driver. No tag as I have seen others post about. Only other #s on the carb are 8-1944 which doesn't seem to match anything.
Nevermind, looks like its stamped on the base of the carb so I will need to pull it.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.