News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Tach

Started by boss429kiwi, May 27, 2012, 06:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

Did all Superbirds have a tach?
If so, did the tach wire share the same hole in the firewall as the Tic Tac Toc wire (hole in firewall under vacumm line hole, next to brake booster )
If so, all Superbirds must have this Tach hole in firewall?

True or false?

Still learning.

Thanks
Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

A383Wing

no....some had tach with clock, some had clock only, some had nothing there

Bryan

nascarxx29

There must be a tach grommet wire location on firewall at location you indicated and be N85 Tach option code
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

boss429kiwi

NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

FJ5WING

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 27, 2012, 08:22:56 PM
There must be a tach grommet wire location on firewall at location you indicated and be N85 Tach option code

Dave, is that the code thats on the build sheet? Anyone know the codes for all three options there? Tic-Tac-Clock, Clock, or nothing???????? I have an NOS Tic-Tac and a upgraded clock as well as the blank. I just need to know what to plug into position.

Sorry for the HiJack! :D
wingless now, but still around.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 28, 2012, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 27, 2012, 08:22:56 PM

Dave, is that the code thats on the build sheet? Anyone know the codes for all three options there? Tic-Tac-Clock, Clock, or nothing???????? I have an NOS Tic-Tac and a upgraded clock as well as the blank. I just need to know what to plug into position.

Sorry for the HiJack! :D

There would a N85 on the fender tag because it caused for a hole to be punched/drilled out on the body. As it was an option, it would also be on the buildsheet. Most all option coding on a fender tag has some sort of body modification associated with it. Now, the clock option wouldn't be listed on the fender tag. Body modifications weren't needed, but it should be listed on the broadcast sheet. The delete plate would have been standard issue for all non-tach and non-clock cars.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Arnie Cunningham

Although a standard Road Runner would have a tach code on the fender tag, Superbirds do not.  Superbirds have a surprising lack of codes on the fender tag even if they are loaded with options.  The build sheet and the firewall hole are your only clues as to whether your car came with a tach or not.  My car had a tach in it when I got it but no firewall hole.  I looked many times for the wires under the dash to hook it up.  I never did find them..... because they weren't there lol.  Someone had put the tach in and never hooked it up.  None of this made sense until many years later when I found out that the firewall hole was the clue to determining whether the tach was installed on the assembly line or not.  I looked - no hole.  Not factory.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on May 28, 2012, 06:09:44 PM
Although a standard Road Runner would have a tach code on the fender tag, Superbirds do not.  Superbirds have a surprising lack of codes on the fender tag even if they are loaded with options.  The build sheet and the firewall hole are your only clues as to whether your car came with a tach or not.  My car had a tach in it when I got it but no firewall hole.  I looked many times for the wires under the dash to hook it up.  I never did find them..... because they weren't there lol.  Someone had put the tach in and never hooked it up.  None of this made sense until many years later when I found out that the firewall hole was the clue to determining whether the tach was installed on the assembly line or not.  I looked - no hole.  Not factory.

Ahhhh..... The ole-I-learn-something-new-everyday.......... Typical Lynch Road assembly line fender tags (not much there for any car)...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Arnie Cunningham

I think J21 is the clock only code.
The "blank" or "bullseye" would have been the default for no clock or no clock/tach and would not have a code.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

FJ5WING

thanks Arnie!!

I forgot to mention that I have found that my car will not have the tach because theres no hole for the harness. I will look for the clock code though!
wingless now, but still around.

pettybird

Although a standard Road Runner would have a tach code on the fender tag, Superbirds do not.  Superbirds have a surprising lack of codes on the fender tag even if they are loaded with options.  The build sheet and the firewall hole are your only clues as to whether your car came with a tach or not.  My car had a tach in it when I got it but no firewall hole.  I looked many times for the wires under the dash to hook it up.  I never did find them..... because they weren't there lol.  Someone had put the tach in and never hooked it up.  None of this made sense until many years later when I found out that the firewall hole was the clue to determining whether the tach was installed on the assembly line or not.  I looked - no hole.  Not factory.

a standard road runner (or anything else) from Lynch wouldn't have N85 on it, either. 

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on May 29, 2012, 10:21:45 AM

a standard road runner (or anything else) from Lynch wouldn't have N85 on it, either. 

lynch Road tags are the worst 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Arnie Cunningham

It is a bit frustrating when the engine code shows up in one form or another three times on the tag but the wheels and radio are nowhere to be found.

moparstuart

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on May 29, 2012, 11:11:08 AM
It is a bit frustrating when the engine code shows up in one form or another three times on the tag but the wheels and radio are nowhere to be found.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE