News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP--T-Bar, Suspension Problem

Started by Remo, May 23, 2012, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remo

Hey Guys,

i got an weird problem with my T-Bars. It´s an 68 Charger former 318 now 440 T-Bars are 0.88´s.
The Adjusting Bolt (for the ride hight) is all the Way in and the Car still sits way toooooo Low.
When i take the tension of the front (both Wheels off the ground) the adjusting Bolt still got contact with the T-Bar adjuster arm.
Then when i put the car back on the Ground it first sits higher then saggs to the toooooo low stance again.

T-Bars are where they suposed to be left and right. If they were installed proper, i don´t know, i bought the Charger like that.
I didn´t do any work on the Suspension!

What could cause this problem? What can i do?

Hope you guys understand what i mean.

Forgot to let you know, it´s the same on both sides.

Thanks, Remo

charger Downunder

by memory the have L & R on the end of the bar.
[/quote]

lasvegas69charg

I had the exact same problem. After looking into it more I had them in wrong. There is a left and right. Just switch them.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Chryco Psycho

was the lower control arm hanging as low as possible when the bars were slid into place ?

Remo

@charger Downunder
Yes they are installed correct L/R

@Chryco Psycho
I can´t tell you that, because i bought the car like that

Fred

Torsion bars lose their tension over time.  I would get new one's and upgrade to .960". You will really notice a big difference.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Remo

@Fred

I understand that, but could it really be that much?
The Top of the Tire is about 2,5" into the Fender and the adjusting Bolt is all the Way in.

And it´s the same on both sides!!

charger Downunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 23, 2012, 11:17:47 PM
was the lower control arm hanging as low as possible when the bars were slid into place ?
Well if in the right sides I would raise the car up, pull back the bars place  the lower control arms in the lowest spot and reinstall them.
[/quote]

bill440rt

Quote from: charger Downunder on May 24, 2012, 05:44:28 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 23, 2012, 11:17:47 PM
Well if in the right sides I would raise the car up, pull back the bars place  the lower control arms in the lowest spot and reinstall them.

My first thought exactly as well.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Remo

@ charger Downunder
I tried that today and it made no difference.

@Fred
You were right! It looks like the T-bars lost there tension and are just tooo soft for the 440.

Thank you Guys for your HELP

Fred

Quote from: Remo on May 24, 2012, 07:41:10 AM
@ charger Downunder
I tried that today and it made no difference.

@Fred
You were right! It looks like the T-bars lost there tension and are just tooo soft for the 440.

Thank you Guys for your HELP

Glad to help mate.  :2thumbs:  I had the same problem with my '70  440 Cuda. They sagged beyond adjusting and had to be replaced.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Kern Dog

An iron head, iron intake 440 and 727 will add more than 150 lbs to the front end. The 44 year old torsion bars were probably struggling to hold the car up with the 318 in there.
It sucks to pay through the ass for new torsion bars, but it really is the best route. I have the 1" bars in my car with an aluminum head, aluminum intake 440/493. the ride is firm, but not harsh. the 1" size is popular enough to be "reasonably" priced. Shop around though, prices vary wildly. I've seen them for under $200 though.

doctorpimp

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 25, 2012, 02:19:22 AM
An iron head, iron intake 440 and 727 will add more than 150 lbs to the front end. The 44 year old torsion bars were probably struggling to hold the car up with the 318 in there.
It sucks to pay through the ass for new torsion bars, but it really is the best route. I have the 1" bars in my car with an aluminum head, aluminum intake 440/493. the ride is firm, but not harsh. the 1" size is popular enough to be "reasonably" priced. Shop around though, prices vary wildly. I've seen them for under $200 though.
Try eBay.  I sold a set of new .96" bars last month there for $175
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Brass

Just Suspension also has reasonable torsion bars.  I got the 1" bars from them and really love the difference.