News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just finished my Charger! NO BRAKES! HELP!

Started by sixpack_sid, May 21, 2012, 09:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I just finished my project 68 Charger! I'm so ready to take her out on the road! But when I pulled it out of the garage, the brakes are hard and they go to the floor before the car will stop!  :brickwall: When restoring the car, I changed the front drum to front disc brakes and purchased a kit from The Right Stuff Detailing with a new master cylinder, power booster, prop valve, and all new brake lines. I did not use the master cylinder or the power booster provided because it was setup for a Hemi engine. I ended up buying OEM equipment from a parts dealer. It has original rear drums in the back.
I bled the brakes, but no air was coming out of the lines. Any ideas on what else I can check?
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Chryco Psycho

Did you bleed the master before installing it ?
Sounds like you have air in the system somewhere if the pedal is going to the floor .
Are the calipers on the correct side , I have often seen them installed on the wrong side with the bleed screw at the bottom of the caliper so the cailper never fills with fluid

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2012, 09:41:27 AM
Did you bleed the master before installing it ?
Sounds like you have air in the system somewhere if the pedal is going to the floor .
Are the calipers on the correct side , I have often seen them installed on the wrong side with the bleed screw at the bottom of the caliper so the cailper never fills with fluid

Yes, I did bench bleed the MS before installing it. The calipers are installed properly. The brakes are not spongy like there's air in the system. When you step on the brakes, they are hard and go about half way, but the car won't stop so I have to keep pushing on the brake until it goes to almost the floor to get the car to stop.
Thanks for the input!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Did you get an oe drum brake master ? If you pump the pedal what happens? Possible you got grease/oil on the rotors/pads installing or bleeding them?

sixpack_sid

I'm pretty sure it's a disc brake master. There is no oil/fluid on the pads. I didn't try pumping the brakes. There is a rod that goes through the firewall to the booster. I have it at the factory setting. Will adjusting that rod make a difference or is there something else I should be looking at?

Chryco Psycho

there is a rod out of the booster that can be adjusted for length but that would just allow the pedal to go down a distance before any pressure would be felt

matrout76

are the rear drums adjusted properly?

are you supposed to do anything special to the Proportioning valve when bleeding the brakes?

b5blue

You have the Z shaped linkage from the peddle to the booster right? Have you an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brakes? Are the rear shoes adjusted out till they just drag slightly? There is a nut on the end of the booster's plunger rod that goes into the master cylinders plunger piston, it should be "just a tiny bit short of touching the plunger piston". 

sixpack_sid

Thanks for the great advice! I did the brake system over a year ago, so I don't know if the drums are adjusted correctly. Good point! I will have to look at that this weekend. I do have an adj. prop valve going to the rear brakes as well. You have given me some things to think about!
Well done, as usual Charger guys! Thank you! :2thumbs:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: sixpack_sid on May 21, 2012, 09:21:19 AM
I just finished my project 68 Charger! I'm so ready to take her out on the road! But when I pulled it out of the garage, the brakes are hard and they go to the floor before the car will stop!  :brickwall: When restoring the car, I changed the front drum to front disc brakes and purchased a kit from The Right Stuff Detailing with a new master cylinder, power booster, prop valve, and all new brake lines. I did not use the master cylinder or the power booster provided because it was setup for a Hemi engine. I ended up buying OEM equipment from a parts dealer. It has original rear drums in the back.
I bled the brakes, but no air was coming out of the lines. Any ideas on what else I can check?
Sid

How was the new stuff set up for a Hemi?  What do you mean by that?

The OEM disc booster is identical to the rest of the motors.  It's the bracketry, studs that are different.

sixpack_sid

How was the new stuff set up for a Hemi?  What do you mean by that?

The OEM disc booster is identical to the rest of the motors.  It's the bracketry, studs that are different.

The brackets were setup for the hemi and the booster holes were setup that I couldn't mount a regular mc or mount it to the firewall correctly. I don't exactly remember, but it wouldn't work right.

I did look at the rear drums today. The brakes were loose, so I adjusted them. I drove it again and the brakes still seem hard and do not stop where they should. I don't know where to go from here. The system is new. I can't figure this out.
Any ideas??