News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do I have to adjust the master cylinder pushrod...

Started by tcs69rt, May 23, 2012, 07:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcs69rt

when changing a master cylinder (MC)? I put in a reman MC and now have pedal swing? Low enough that it activates the rear brake light switch. Is the adjustment made under the dash at the brake assembly?

After bench bleeding the reman MC I installed it, then I changed the front disc brake rubber hoses & the steel caliper lines. I picked up an hand held vacum pump to bleed the whole system by myself. Are they any good or should I bleed the system (discs & drums) with someone helping? Thanks. TC
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Chryco Psycho

if we are talking about power brakes the pushrod out of the booster can be lengthened , it is 2 piece & threaded , if you extend it too far the brakes will not release , so adjust the rod so it is just touching the piston in the back of the master .

Kern Dog

If I understand this right, you installed a bench bled master cylinder but havent bled the REST of the system? You mention having Pedal swing? I understand this to mean that the pedal has MORE free travel now?
The system needs to be properly bled. Every corner needs to be bled. Rarely ever can you simply replace a master cylinder and just drive away.
Look on www.youtube.com for tips on bleeding brakes. There are plenty of ways to do it alone, though having a helper will speed things up a bit.
In some cases, you can adjust the booster to move the internal pushrod forward or rearward. My 78 Plymouth Trail Duster has a 1" 6 point hexed recess that is adjustable. It adds or removes preload on the large spring inside the booster. I haven't looked inside other boosters to know if they are similar. If the system is properly bled of all air, I doubt that the booster will need adjustment.