News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some things I can't understand.

Started by Cooter, May 23, 2012, 06:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

I will never understand why all these triplebadassdoubledamngotohell drag cars in NMCA, street cars, etc. have this redneck lookin' exhaust run out under the door??? If you don't have room under your Race car err, "Street car", then that should be points off. Saving money by not running the rest of the exhaust looks like sh*t. :Twocents:

And a big "01" and Rebel flag on the roof looks "Hillbilly"? WTF? You couldn't find an exhaust shop that can bend 2 1/2" pipe over that rearend??
This sh*t should be left for TRUCKS. Just an observation.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Tilar

Back in the 60's and 70's when these things were on the road as everyday cars, Pipes coming out the side were the thing. Moreso near the rear tires so you didn't burn your leg on the pipes if you were wearing shorts.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Indygenerallee

Im gonna run it out the side on my Daytona, Hell if the race version of a Daytona had it it's good enough for my Daytona! Looks badass IMO
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Musicman

Road Dog

I had mine turned out just before the rear wheels. Sounded Sick going thru the Bay Bridge Tunnel. :2thumbs:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

TK73

Like the pipes out front of the tires  :2thumbs:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

SG1022

PocketThunder

I'll vote for out the back.  Dont need to smell exhaust while i'm driving the car..  :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

I vote out the side. I've always had them just before the rear tire, or dumps just before the axle. Out under the door is how many old race cars were set up. AAR Cudas had them out the side as well as the Trans Am Javelins.

I agree somewhat that trucks seem to get this treatment more so than cars, I wonder why that is  :shruggy:

cdr

sorry but i must be a dumb ass redneck, pipes in front of rear tires,3inch where size really does matter, & real loud,might even do a burn out in my driveway
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RallyeMike

.... and best yet, summer time is coming. Time again to line up your side exhaust at the stop lights with the open Prius winders  :D

(First one of the year today with a woman who had just tossed her cig but out on the street.)
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

:lol:  The best thing about side pipes and a lifted truck is that the pipes are window height. I know it's mean but I always chuckle when I see the window getting rolled up in the eco box next door.

Kern Dog

Quote from: TK73 on May 23, 2012, 09:02:12 PM
Like the pipes out front of the front tires  :2thumbs:

REALLY? The front tires? :nana:

GreenMachine

Quote from: 440 on May 23, 2012, 10:29:47 PM
I vote out the side. I've always had them just before the rear tire, or dumps just before the axle. Out under the door is how many old race cars were set up. AAR Cudas had them out the side as well as the Trans Am Javelins.

I agree somewhat that trucks seem to get this treatment more so than cars, I wonder why that is  :shruggy:

Because it's illegal on cars, the exhaust has to exit behind the passenger compartment. On trucks that ends almost behind the door, not so on cars.

Anyway, one more vote here for being cool, I've always loved the AAR and T/A exhaust.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Cooter

For the record, can't stand AAR, or T/A exhaust. Looks even more redneck being it came from the factory. Side pipes might grow on me, but that sh*t run out under the door is just hillbilly and I'm red as the next guy.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

GOTWING

I have to agree, it belongs out the back with a nice set of tips, :2thumbs: I guess i like the AAR and T/A's because it's a factory design and goes with the theme of trans-am racing. I do smile however when i see a vintage set of sidepipes on a 70's creation.

hatersaurusrex

I think on a 'touring' type car, they look pretty ridiculous.   On roadster type cars that tend to be more hourglass-shaped (think AC Cobra, Vettes, Vipers) where they have the collector and the muffler coming all the way down the side and everything's chromed  I think it looks badass.

If it's just the tip hanging out there it looks like the job wasn't done at the exhaust shop all the way :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 23, 2012, 06:35:41 PM
Im gonna run it out the side on my Daytona, Hell if the race version of a Daytona had it it's good enough for my Daytona! Looks badass IMO

:2thumbs:  I like that look too. Brings me back to my youth!   :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 23, 2012, 10:17:34 PM
I'll vote for out the back.  Dont need to smell exhaust while i'm driving the car..  :Twocents:

Not really any different than following someone?  :shruggy:    :nana:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

cdr

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 25, 2012, 08:31:15 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 23, 2012, 06:35:41 PM

:2thumbs:  I like that look too. Brings me back to my youth!   :icon_smile_big:

Not really any different than following someone?  :shruggy:    :nana:
:argue:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Highbanked Hauler

You don't.  I used to run that way for a while till I got a spanking from a registry cop. In my experience there is less exhaust smell on the side than there is out the back.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

TK73

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 24, 2012, 12:04:20 AM
Quote from: TK73 on May 23, 2012, 09:02:12 PM
Like the pipes out front of the front tires  :2thumbs:

REALLY? The front tires? :nana:

ooops, pain killers slowin me down a bit...   :faint:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

redmist

Full three inch to dumps just before the axle for me. I like shaking the ground.    :drool5:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 24, 2012, 04:06:17 AM
Because it's illegal on cars, the exhaust has to exit behind the passenger compartment.

in australia it's illegal to exit forward of any opening passenger window. it makes the mad max interceptor side pipes illegal in the country that birthed it  :slap:

Patronus

If I could, I'd have side-exit exhaust on all my cars.. :Twocents:
Has anyone here put side exhaust on a 2nd gen? I was thinking of trying the AAR/TA mufflers?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

cdr

Quote from: Patronus on May 28, 2012, 08:51:13 AM
If I could, I'd have side-exit exhaust on all my cars.. :Twocents:
Has anyone here put side exhaust on a 2nd gen? I was thinking of trying the AAR/TA mufflers?
been trying to mock up mine,but sub frame connectors are going to present a problem