News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C T D 518 overdrive ????

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 22, 2012, 07:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Recently my CTD 152K started coming out of overdrive at most speeds and will go  back in and out again. I am sure this isn't good for the trans. First time it was doing it at 70 mph. and  now it will do it at any speed it gets into OD . This is with no load and a fluid temp. of 160*. Fluid has less than 10K on it and it isn't slipping.  Ideas.. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Rolling_Thunder

i remember someone discussing it somewhere on this forum but for the love of god I cant remember where or when...     not helpful I know but someone will chime in sooner or later.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Challenger340

Whats the vehicle application ? is there part-time 4wd involved ?

John Kunkel is the resident Tranni expert on here....FANTASTIC knowledge base....I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

just s "bump"
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

Is it the OD dropping out or the converter unlocking? What is the actual rpm rise?

If it's the converter clutch read this:

http://www.kentsoil.com/dodgebug1.htm

Converter unlocking can also be related to the TPS or brake light switch.

BTW, it's CTD not CDT. :icon_smile_wink:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

The truck is a 92 turbo,2 wheel drive. The trans is a 518 and the converter is a Hughes non lockup. At 70mph I gotta say the tach. hits 3K for a few seconds and it feels like you tossed an anchor out. It acts the same as if you were to hit the overdrive off button(maybe I had better check the switch) to see if anything is loose . When it does it at 40 or less I don't remember the rpm.  It usually does it when the engine is not pulling. I was wondering if the TPS  might be at fault. Cruise control works.. The reference to cdt is just brain damage showing up.  :image_294343:

Challenger 340,  I use it to pull the car trailer for now and thinking about a camping trailer in the future.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser