News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Start Saving For Your New Electric Bill Now

Started by chargerboy69, May 22, 2012, 04:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

Wow, this sounds like fun. . . those in Ohio sounds like they will have the most fun with this genius plan.

From $16 per megawatt to $357 per megawatt.  A few of my family members and friends work for I&M, our local electric company, and they are hearing rates will be going through the roof as well.

"The market-clearing price for new 2015 capacity – almost all natural gas – was $136 per megawatt. That's eight times higher than the price for 2012, which was just $16 per megawatt. In the mid-Atlantic area covering New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and DC the new price is $167 per megawatt. For the northern Ohio territory served by FirstEnergy, the price is a shocking $357 per megawatt.

Why the massive price increases? Andy Ott from PJM stated the obvious: "Capacity prices were higher than last year's because of retirements of existing coal-fired generation resulting largely from environmental regulations which go into effect in 2015." Northern Ohio is suffering from more forced coal-plant retirements than the rest of the region, hence the even higher price.

These are not computer models or projections or estimates. These are the actual prices that electric distributors have agreed to pay for new capacity. The costs will be passed on to consumers at the retail level."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/22/obamas-war-on-coal-hits-your-electric-bill/print#ixzz1vdALNXOI
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

AKcharger

Who could be responsible for such stupidity!!!!

BigBlackDodge

Hmmmm........mine is going down $8 bucks a month or so.

BBD

TK73

Seattle is like 95% hydro.  :2thumbs:

Most likely the story is a bunch of propagandist/alarmist/fear-based CRAP... but if any rates goes up that sure sucks for Ohio...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TheGhost

Coming from Fox, I'm a bit skeptical, but probably a good idea to pay attention anyway.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bull

It's probably because too many young, able-bodied males would rather sit on their brains getting fat and playing video games in their mom's basement than go out and get a job mining coal. But that's just my knee-jerk reaction to many of the problems in this country. I really wonder how far it is from the truth though.

stripedelete

Hmmm, Fox News reporting baaad things ahead for the swing state of Ohio because of Obama.     :scratchchin:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: TK73 on May 22, 2012, 06:53:51 PM

Most likely the story is a bunch of propagandist/alarmist/fear-based CRAP... but if any rates goes up that sure sucks for Ohio...

Nope....I'm in the utility business also. Get used to huge rate increases due to regulatory and administrative costs all across the country. Ohio is just a sample of what is to come.

It is not cost effecitve to upgrade a lot of coal plants to meet current EPA emission standards.
Demand for coal overseas is driving up the price per ton.
States and customers have the NIMBY approach to new generation.
It takes a significant amount of time to permit and build nuclear power IF you can even get a permit.
The de-regulation of cross country transmission through ISOs has driven up administrative costs.
Natural gas can be an effective alternative but as more gas plants come on line, the costs will go up.

And you folks with hydro power? Most of your utilities have long term perferred provider contracts with the federal power agencies that manage the dams and power. There is a movement to dump preferred provider contracts so  'all can share in the benefit of public power'. You will no longer have first dibs on cheap hydro power. You'll pay 'market rates' just like everyone else meaning everyone will be fighting for the hydro power because there are no more coal plants meaning supply and demand pricing will be in effect instead of rate stability.

No one party or administration is to blame but local, state and federal elections have consequences.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

Ok, so the green nazis and hippies are to blame instead of fat, lazy young men. :2thumbs: Got it.

mrsskip68

The skipper LOVES to press the buttons on our a/c thermostat!  :brickwall:  Maybe i should buy one of those commercial type covers with a key!  :nana: :shruggy:
Lisa

TK73

Yep, THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING, RATES UP 20 TIMES, RUN, HIDE, ALL THOSE COMMIES GONNA MAKE YOU GO TO COLLEGE AND GET LIBERALIZED AND MARRY GAY PEOPLE  
:errr: :cryin: :leaving:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Just happen to know a Utility expert here, will be asking tonight about this one...

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bull on May 22, 2012, 07:24:00 PM
Ok, so the green nazis and hippies are to blame instead of fat, lazy young men. :2thumbs: Got it.

Partially.

Factor in apathy, ineptitude, poor planning and the ever prevelent NINBY attitude also.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

TK73

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 22, 2012, 07:17:07 PM
Quote from: TK73 on May 22, 2012, 06:53:51 PM

Nope....I'm in the utility business also. Get used to huge rate increases due to regulatory and administrative costs all across the country. Ohio is just a sample of what is to come.

It is not cost effecitve to upgrade a lot of coal plants to meet current EPA emission standards.
Demand for coal overseas is driving up the price per ton.
States and customers have the NIMBY approach to new generation.
It takes a significant amount of time to permit and build nuclear power IF you can even get a permit.
The de-regulation of cross country transmission through ISOs has driven up administrative costs.
Natural gas can be an effective alternative but as more gas plants come on line, the costs will go up.

And you folks with hydro power? Most of your utilities have long term perferred provider contracts with the federal power agencies that manage the dams and power. There is a movement to dump preferred provider contracts so  'all can share in the benefit of public power'. You will no longer have first dibs on cheap hydro power. You'll pay 'market rates' just like everyone else meaning everyone will be fighting for the hydro power because there are no more coal plants meaning supply and demand pricing will be in effect instead of rate stability.

No one party or administration is to blame but local, state and federal elections have consequences.

Thank you for the information.  Well balanced info... NOW, to do some further research to learn more about this...

J-440

I do remember at the beginning of our clueless leader's campaign run for office that in a few of his speeches he said he was going to make it harder for coal plants to stay open.  He dam near said that he was going to run them out of business.  Here's your sign!!
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

TK73

redmist

Ugh...  Can't wait for Oblahblah to get out of Office.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

69CoronetRT

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

resq302

Another reason to be putting solar panels on my roof!!!!!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Tilar

I've actually thought about that... That will be great till they come up with a way to meter and tax it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TK73

Quote from: resq302 on May 22, 2012, 08:24:48 PM
Another reason to be putting solar panels on my roof!!!!!

Good plan to research...