News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need a good, quality car cover for the charger

Started by c00nhunterjoe, May 20, 2012, 08:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Paint will be on the car tomorrow. Once its dried it will go back to living outdoors. I want to get a good car cover for it. What do you guys use?

Vainglory, Esq.

jaak

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on May 20, 2012, 08:43:07 PM
A garage.  Heh...
True. If its gonna be outside, you are better off leaving a cover off. I don't care if its the most expensive, space-aged breathable material ever made....it will hold moisture. Covers are made to keep dust off cars that stay indoors, period. I would recommend one of those metal carports (around 600 bucks) over a car cover outside.
I speak from experience.

Jason

c00nhunterjoe

Garage ain't gonna happen, and nowhere to put a carport. I don't want the car baking in the sun all week and having rainwater pour into all of its leaks. The car needs to be covered.

Daytona R/T SE

You may as well have not bothered to paint it.

A car cover blowing around in the wind will ruin the paint over time, period.

Rent a garage.

ITSA426

If you don't want the interior baking you can get a cover on the inside windshield and use cloth to keep the direct sun out of the side windows.  Find a shady spot in the yard. 

Driving it will erode the paint eventually, like a hundred years from now.  That's what car wax is for.

I cover mine in the rain, but if it's windy you're better off leaving the cover off, so the cover doesn't rub on the paint. 

Pull the body plugs out of the low spots and the trunk if it's a leaker. Let the water run through if it's that bad.  Roll up the trunk mat so it doesn't get waterlogged.

It's better to leave the car indoors, but if you can't, you can't.  I use California Car Covers.  Call them up and tell them what you need the cover for.

c00nhunterjoe

Indoors is out of the picture. There is nowhere close by to store the car. I'm borrowing the neighbors garage to do the work but I can't keep it as his cars are sitting outside until I'm done.   

Its no show car, the goal was a 20 footer. Just wanted to stop the rust. It was getting really bad. I hung cheap 1\4s on it, fixed all the rot behind the panels, repaired the trunk and frame rails and sealed everything. At least its not sitting in the yard rotting away.  Eventually I will build a garage, but for now its out of the budget

jaak

We are not trying to be difficult, but what everyone is saying is true. I understand you don't have a garage to store it, if outdoors is your only option, my best suggestion is leaving it open outdoors. A cover will hold moisture, I don't care what they claim, it will hold moisture and will be a 'green house' for rust. Just some advise from experience, like some one mentioned, get you a sun shade to protect interior from sun, but I definitely would not put a cover on an outdoor car.

Jason

SnoPro440

2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

ITSA426

Car condoms!  We used one for indoor storage for a winter and the car rusted terribly because of all the trapped moisture.  Fortunately it wasn't a Dodge.  I wouldn't use one again unless the car had absolutely no antifreeze, washer fluid, brake fluid, fabric, or anything else that can hold moisture.  Then put down enough desiccant packs to dry the Amazon rain forest.  It would be better to leave it uncovered indoors and run a small fan under it for airflow.  Maybe the bags have gotten better, but cars are made to be outdoors anyway.   I fear putting one outdoors on a windy day would have its own issues.

Dino

A carport may be a bit large but you can get the adjustable ones so you can make it as big as the car itself.  That'll keep it a bit more protected while air can circulate.  Next best thing is to park it out in the open and do some maintenance on it from time to time.  Make sure to park it on solid ground, not in the grass.

Use wax to protect your paint and vaseline for anything chrome or stainless.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Brightyellow69rtse

do not use a car cover it does more harm than good. even if you buy the most expensive one out there the cars still gonna get wet. dirt and dust get under the cover and the wind comes and it scratched the crap outta the car.  i keep my camaro outdoors and i dont cover it for any reason whatsoever. i used to before i knew what they actually did to a car.