News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heat riser valve problem.

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 18, 2012, 10:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Does anyone reproduce parts for the heat riser valve on a 440 ? The problem I have is the shaft that goes through the manifold and holds the flapper is either rusted away or the holes in the manifold have enlarged which is unlikely but it is blowing exhaust through the hole towards the motor and causing a serious leak. Anyone else have the problem or a repair ? Thanks...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

mpdlawdog

I wired mine open....it never worked right anyway and would not open at all sometimes.... :Twocents:
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

John_Kunkel

The valve shaft rides in removable bushings which come in a rebuild kit. This E-bay listing might work for yours:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-NOS-Heat-Riser-Kit-Exhaust-Manifold-/320907675995?hash=item4ab796895b&item=320907675995&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

If not, try Brad's NOS...he usually has the kits.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

resq302

I just removed the flapper all together on mine and put the external looking parts back to make it look like it is there.   
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Highbanked Hauler

I ended up drilling and tapping the holes out and putting plugs in. It isn't needed now anyway.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser